Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

And it Starts

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mstamos, May 31, 2007.

1. I am a new rider, got my "L"s two weeks ago. Tomorrow I'm geting my gear and on Monday afternoon my bike arives. I am so bloomin excited. My bike is a Hyos=ong Aquila 250. Its red and black. I am looking forward to meeting other riders, going for group rides and havig a great time. I'm wondering whether it might be an idea to save up and invest in a GPS navigation system since Melways, Sydways etc would be out of the question. Anyway, the bike is for fun not transport so I guess I may not need the navigation stuff.

2. Without putting racks or tankbags on the bike, a backpack will hold a Melways/UBD when needed. Hema Motorcycle Atlas for away from home.
  3. I think GPS navigation is a bit of a toss. You'll quickly learn to memorise a whereis map and get where you're going, it's good for you.

A satnav system and EPERB would be extremely useful, almost mandatory on an extended off-road "adventure" tour, but unless you're a courier it's a bit of a wank in the city. It's one of those things - you use a GPS for too long, you forget how to get around. Just like you used to remember all your mates' phone numbers until you started storing them in your mobile.
  4. if you're from melbourne.... Gassit in Fairfield has a pocket size street directory for $12
  5. if i get really depserate i just print out my route on paper and keep it in my pocket.... i have no boot space :(
  6. Meh...if you use it simply to get from point A to point B then, sure, you can make do with a small map to carry around with you. I've found the GPS is loads of fun if only for discovering all sorts of fun and alternatives routes you'd never think of taking when checking out the Melways. If you like to spend time on the bike just for the fun of it, touring, looking for new places to ride, exploring, then a GPS is a worthwhile investment.

I have to admit I made fun of a mate who had a GPS on his bike and thought it was a bit of a toss - but having bought one on a whim myself, I have to say that I'm really getting a lot out of it. :)
  7. anyone who would highly recommend a gps system,obviously wasnt on the bright ride, the only people that didnt end up going the wrong way were those, who did not have gps, or werent following someone with a gps

mickyb ended up out whoop whoop :LOL: , and doit's had us make a wrong turn but we worked it out before we got too far
  8. lol sounds like an interesting trip. What GPS did they have? Mine took me through Bright and up Hotham the other weekend with no wrong turns...can't say its given me a problem yet!
  9. no idea, but was interesting neverless :LOL: but was abit worrying when micky and jcorney hadnt shown up in bright nearly a hour and a half later
  10. nice bike ....i have a black one :cool:

A GPS is for old people with bad memories. :roll:

Do what i do .........look at a map remember main Rd's and wing it from there.....
  11. amen to that :grin:
  12. Well picked up the helmet tody - its a shark RSI hologram black and looks fantastic. The Aquilla is ariving tomorrow. I cannot wait. I've asked my mum if I can use her garage as she doesn't have a car and bnever uses it other than to store junk. She agreed so spent the last few days cleaning it up, placed locks on the doors, etc. All that's missing is the bike. Did I mention that I'm excited?
  13. Congratulations on the new acquistion. Enjoy the ride mate!
  14. Hope you enjoy your bike as much as i do mine :cool:
  15. I've only ridden once with a GPS (borrowed) and I found a very good purpose for one.

Getting across Melbourne when I've never driven / ridden there before was a bonus, but the main use was the speedo. My speedo on the SV was about 10% out. That explained why I was getting overtaken on the highway all the time :oops:
  16. I sticky tape the directions on the fuel tank
  17. Now that is a great idea
  18. I went for my first ride yesterday. Only having ridden fro approx 6 hours whilst getting my learners and not going past 2nd gear during that whole time, I was extremely nervous to say the least. Anyway, I just rode around some local streets, unfortunately I ended up at an intersection where I had to enter a fairly busy road (Lucky I was turning left). Anyway, I somewhat froze and could see the cars behind me etc banking up. I mustered up enough courage to enter the major roadway and then turned left at the earliest opportunity so I can head back to my garage. Well (not having a GPS :)) I entered a roadway with two sets of tram lines together with parked cars along the edge so I had to travel in between the tram lines. Very few cars here. Great I though. Then I realized in growing concern. “They taught us that tram lines are slippery and NEVER EVER to cross them at anything but a perpendicular angleâ€. Oh sh—t, I have no choice but to cross them at a very low angle. Prepared for the worst, nothing actually happened as I crossed the tram lines and then turned left into my local street. After taking off my sweaty helmet, I congratulated myself on my first ride. I was determined to get my confidence up so I planned, if it was a nice day on Sunday that I would ride the bike to an industrial area I know relatively close by and practice some maneuvers until I got my confidence up. Today, I did that and I’ll tell you about it another time, as I also learnt a valuable lesson which I will need to practice before venturing anywhere near medium to heavy traffic.
  19. Nice to hear you did okay on your ride

Try practicing at night
    It helped me get the confidence of hills starts / roundabouts / main roads and everything else out there, without having people trying to run you off the road
  20. great idea - thanks