Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

An unfortunate turn of events...

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Snore, Jul 26, 2015.

1. TLDR;
    I bought a used Ninja 650l with 2 months left on my restrictions, and crashed said bike the next day crossing tram tracks in the wet whilst braking:banghead: lol.

Hi there,
    I've been a long time lurker and it's pretty ironic this is my first official post as I spent so long trawling these very forums when I originally got my learners a while ago now, to try and avoid these type of circumstances.

So due to a broken Daelim VJF 250, quite a reasonable tax return and cheap and nice looking bike, a few weeks ago I ended up buying a used but pretty much new Ninja 650L '13 with my restrictions ending only in a couple months now. I felt like a bit of an impatient idiot making the purchase but I was easily able to justify it as after all was said and done I should of been able to turn a little profit when i inevitably sold it, as long as I didn't drop it or god forbid crash.
    But, alas the day after quite happy with my torquey little Kwaka I low-sided at 40km/h :(

I seem to remember just before going down, I knew exactly why and what could happen but I just kept going like some spud :\ If it's any ramification I had just quite happily tried one of the create your own burgers from Maccas, it was delicious and I was quite content and eager to get home.
    But essentially, it had just started to spitting and I was in the middle of the tram tracks on a double lane road only a block or so down from Maccas and the traffic lights ahead went orange and I needed to turn left, so I started to break and slowly merge into the left lane...I'm sure you know what happened next, the bike went down with me along with it. Look, I know it's a stupid way to low-side but I've crossed tracks in the wet that many times before, I think it was just a combination of a few stupid mistakes (Breaking, Crossing parralel and simply it being wet) and my lapse of attention to rectify or account for these hazards. But thankfully the bike came to a stop just short of a parked car near the curb and the cab behind me had plenty of time to slow down.
    I picked her up quickly looked her up and down, and assured a couple of people I was alright than went home.
    I didn't really want to fully come to terms with what had happened and I don't think it was until a day later I actually fully examined the bike, I was just so devastated.

I was kicking my self for a while afterwards, but I'm just thankful I'm alright, no-one else or anything else got involved and the bike came out...alright, just scraped up on one side :\
    A few weeks on now, and I've replaced the tyres (needed doing anyways), bars, lh peg and a mirror is on the way I should hopefully be able to get the roadworthy and renew the rego before it expires sometime this week.
    I had budgeted for a fair whack off this, but it's still a fair kick to the wallet.
    Anywho, I know what I did wrong and I guess I can only learn from my mistakes, I guess I'll put this down to an expensive lesson I didn't think I needed.

I'll post up some pictures/crash report of my gear/bike if you'd like but I think the moral of this story is -
    Even after crossing hundreds of tram lines before, just make sure to reassess everything before crossing, they're so slippery!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Glad to hear you're getting it sorted out. And glad tram tracks aren't part of my normal environment!

Would the tyres that needed replacing have been a part of the cause?

Anyway don't beat yourself up over it. Learn and move on.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hehe, thanks, I'm surprised you read all of that.
    I was out today after finally fitting the bars last night and sheesh, this bike is still miles ahead of what the Daelim was.

Ahh, actually I forgot to mention that, the rear was pretty much bald and the front was scalloped according to the mechanic, so that could of had something to do with it :whistle:
    But I was excited and eager to ride the new toy.

Cheers mate, yee I'm still happy to say I have no regrets with the purchase :happy:
  4. tram tracks are like glass when wet. Having said that tyre condition is always important.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Hi! I new here and have been on my L's for a few weeks now, went and had 6 hours worth of lessons and then purchased a new bike a few days ago. I got a Yamaha YZF-R3 and the dealership had it lowered a little as I'm a shortie (although the R3 I test rode hadn't been lowered and I did okay with that, but feel more comfortable with the one I have which is lowered).

Anyway, within 24 hours of having it I dropped the bike in fairly busy traffic riding home from an appointment. I only slightly scratched the paintwork (you actually have to go looking for it to find it), but I did manage to break the very end of the clutch lever (the rounded end of the clutch lever came off) ... thankfully I was at a red light at the time (was stopping and starting and I just lost confidence with my footing I think). Thankfully the driver of the car in the lane next to me got out, asked if I was okay and helped me pick up the bike.

I must admit I was upset about it at the time but I'm not hurt (other than a bruise on my left leg as it was under the bike when I dropped it & a scratch on my knee), I didn't hurt anyone else and the person in the car behind me was at least patient and not yonking his horn at me!

I just need to get the clutch lever replaced but it's still rideable. The dealership is going to see if they can get me either black or red coloured brake clutch levers for me (to match the colours of my bike). I feel like an idiot for having done it but like you, I can only put it down to experience. I made a point of taking the bike for a ride the following day and I was fine - rode it down the same road where I dropped it. Like you, I still don't regret my purchase.

In a way it's a relief to read that I'm not the only person to have caused some damage to a new bike so quickly ... I don't mean to say that to sound awful or anything like that! I guess it goes to show we're just human, right?

I'm going to go for another ride this afternoon to a quiet industrial area (as it's Sunday) and practice my U-turns which I will need to do for the P1 testing. I was doing quite well with the U-turns in the Honda CBR125 that I had lessons in, but now that I'm on a 321 cc bike which is heavier, I'm gonna have to get used to doing them on that! And emergency stops!
  6. To SnoreSnore and Krazy KiwiKrazy Kiwi as Paul said don't beat yourself up over these incidents. It always makes you feel bad when you prang your bike but bikes can be fixed, the main thing is that you are uninjured. Learning from your mistakes or even from a situation where you escape without issue but could have handled it better is a lifelong task.

Tramtracks as you have stated are a hazard. When wet they are slippery, areas where trams brake they drop sand to increase their braking friction. When that dries out braking areas can have loose sand around. There are a few threads where people have discussed living with tram tracks, it may be worth digging them out and having a read.

In KK's case, you don't say much on the cause of your incident, for your own development I hope you have thought about the circumstances and what, if anything, you could have done differently.
  7. I have to agree - painted road markings, small gaps in timber bridges and the occasional metal manhole cover are the worst of road fixture hazards I encounter here. I suppose you get used to tram tracks but the idea of them doesn't appeal. I'm glad you're OK and so is the bike now.
  8. Rush hour traffic involving a quite a bit of starting then stopping ... I didn't have enough confidence that I had my left foot on the ground when stopping at a set of red traffic lights, resulting me me dropping the bike. I know what I'd do differently but I'm sure I'll be fine with more experience (which will result in more confidence) as well as getting used to a 321 cc bike after learning on a 125 cc.

I'm treating it as a learning experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Anything made of iron/steal is the Devils work in the wet.

A fair hunk of my commute is with tram tracks, for what is worth I find the top of any crest or corners the worst parts as the track is often higher than the road surface.

Keep you inputs steady and ride safe.

10. glad to see neither you or the bike need major repairs :]:]
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. #11 Oldmaid, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Krazy KiwiKrazy Kiwi yep the vast majority of us, if we are honest, have had a little lie down with our bikes at some stage.
    And the vast majority learn from it as well. I learnt from my first drop and then found another way to drop a bike due to the camber at the exit at Bald Hill and my short arse little leg not making contact with the ground and the bike and I having a little cuddle in front of about 100 bikers...lesson learnt. again.
    Next time was trying to do the tight U turn practice for the MOST in a quiet little end of CrazyCam's street...went too slow not enough throttle and down like a sack of shit we went, the bike and I, a brief hug then I picked her up.
    My last drop doesn't count because I was an innocent bystander, I pulled the bike out of the garage, side stand down started pfaffing around and turned back to watch Wasabi dive like a graceful dying swan flush against my car.
    Just dust off, shrug the shoulders, have a laff, get back on and admire your bruises later!
    So learn how to pick up your bike...first time I dropped the bike I stood there looking at it trying to will her, Harry Potter style, back upright...no success with that, so then had to google how to pick up bike...my clutch lever looked like Uri Geller had a go at it...was a good excuse to put shorty levers on her!
    can do it with my eyes closed now and without birthing my bowels out onto the bitumen as well. Which is nice....
  12. Yes I definitely need to learn how to pick up the bike, especially given that it's approximately 3 times my weight! I don't regret having gotten the bike though :)
  13. By all means learn to pick up your bike, but don't hurt yourself trying to do it. Even an experienced male told me if he drops his, he gets help as it's not worth the potential injury if you do it wrong. I can pick mine up (just), but it's only 150 kg's. Your's is close to 170 kg's.
  14. Point taken :) I did have help when I dropped it - thankfully a helpful 4WD driver got out of their car and made sure I was okay and asked if I needed any help.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. hav
    I have dropped bikes a couple of times in the past and found that the adrenalin rush allowed me to pick the bike back up on my own. But now, at 63 years of age and 57 kg I am going to try REALLY hard not to attempt it again. My Hyo weighs in at 244 kg and I will almost certainly do myself an injury if I try - YouTube videos on picking up bikes notwithstanding.
  16. I agree that a wrong lift will do some serious damage but if you are out in a quiet area, stop for a wee , breather or photo and the bike goes over because of say soft soil or grass, what do you do then...
    With the right technique you use little effort to lift your bike...you use displacement physics to work with you...
    But that said I am built like a mini brick shit house and have always been able to heave some fairly solid weights around with little effort :)
  17. I would still wait for someone. I don't ride offroad so it's quite unlikely that I would be that isolated. However, I take your point. In that unlikely event of that occurring I would attempt the walk the bike upright manoeuvre. Hope I don't have to find out the hard way.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Speaking of these little drops, yeah, I got that t shirt too. Left the bike outside on driveway one arvo after a ride and later that night wanted to put car away (bike has to go into a small alcove space in the back of the single garage to do so). So walking it in backwards I was on the wrong side (I walk it back with the side stand down so when it's in place I just lean it onto it). Was tired as for some reason and didn't think and as my foot slipped, I leant the bike meaning to put it on it's down side stand, but leant it the wrong way. Realised too late as 230kg of D'ohville moved to pin me against the garage wall. Missus was out the back cooking so 15 mins later came out to tell me dinner was ready only to find me being kept hostage by a p'd off bike that had pinned me to the wall. She had to get it off me. As it didn't really fall right over, no real damage to either of us, just a scratch on the already scratched mirror and a gouge out of two of my fingers. Meh.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1