Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

An old horse to ride on

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by thecptn, Nov 4, 2006.

1. It all started 3 days ago, I felt a hunch, a strange knowing ness that I must drive to a certain suburb, I didn't question it, being the adventurer that I am, and made do hastily in the cage, I arived at my destination no longer than 20 minutes, and well...I waited, I waited more and even had a bite to eat, hmm nothing here that is any interest to me, so I made my way back home.

As I arrived at a crossroad...well okay an intersection, one way was quicker and shorter, the other was longer and slower, yet some thing beckoned me, "go the long way, just do it" as before I didn't question it, and just went what the hell.

Several kilometers latter, in the corner in the peripheral vision I saw bike wheel jutting out of these bushes, my eyes snapped and focused, and lo and behold a bike for sale! if only I pulled the hand brake up and did a full 180 with both wheels smoking it would of toped it off.

Finally, after checking it out...I did the deed and bought the old girl, what is it?

A 1981 SR185, complete with 11 months rego and completely road worthy for guess how much?

$550 :grin:

And leaks no oil nor blows smoke and starts at the push of a button.

Sure, it handles like marshmallow and cotton candy-esque around corners, and stops like a retarded urangatan...and I have to keep my chin on the tank just to top 100..but you know what, I seem to have more fun on this bike than my 650 for some bizarre reason, riding this bike is like riding those old red rattler trains in Sydney eons ago as a kid, they where old, slow, rattled, vibrated like hell, and had lots of character, much like this SR, I never knew I could have soooo much fun on such a tatted out bike.

Non the less, this thread would be useless without pics, so I present you with....the blue rattler!

2. Old tattered bikes is nearly all I've ever had (apart from a Z1000 show bike), most of mine have rattled, clunked and wheezed their way along but have been heaps of fun! I've never seen an SR 185 before - the seat looks comfy.
  3. What a buy! Sounds like it was meant to be too. :)

There's one of these for sale near my place...same yr/model and I think even the same color. They were asking a hell of a lot more than $550 though. $3300 or something around that figure.
  4. Not even a minor classic, cptn, but as long as it's fun, then who gives a hoot???
    {But I'd do some work at least on that drum front brake :wink:}
  5. I know, not much of a classic, Ah the brake! yes the dreaded dum drum brake, ive had some hairy moments on it already! ive been thinking of graftin on a disc brake setup of a latter model sr250.
  6. Ah...cptn. Tis a 250 I'm speaking of, not a 185.
  7. Ah caprende..well noted.
  8. Bargain, You paid for the rego and got the bike for free.

Yeah you'd be well worth getting rid of that drum front too! Just make sure you don't spend too much money on it.
  9. dang, that'd be a fun old girl to get around on.

Aside from the fact im saving up for our (me & the gf) trip to the US next year, i'd be tempted to fork out for a cheap 250 dirty just to belt around for the hell of it. The more i see people buying things like this, the more i admit i *AM* tempted too *sheepish grin*.

good luck, oh and for sure, do something about the front drum brake for sure.
  10. My Mum had an SR250 when I was 15, I used to "borrow" it when she wasn't home :oops: :LOL:

It was such a comfy little machine, it is the reason I chose a Virago to learn on.

BTW, she paid something like $1200 for it brand new back in 1981, and sold it with only 16,000k's on the clock in 1984 and got I think $900 for it.
    Enough cash to buy a "state of the art" sharp VHS corded remote video recorder, if only she had of invested the cash she would be able to buy a new bike(for me) and a DVD recorder today. :LOL:
  11. and if she'd invested it a further 5 years, she'd be able to buy 20 hard drive recorders, and not just because they are selling them for $50 each ;-)
  12. Yah have me concerned now, I have a drum front brake on my LTD250... whats the go with them? why the urge to change it... I'm still a newbie with bikes :oops:
  13. Congrats on the bike cptn, you bought it for just about rego

Drum brakes don't work too well in the rain and front brakes do most of the slowing down of the bike. Shouldn't be too many issues in the dry though, just don't bite as well as a disc.

Don't know how easy it is to change out to disc front. Am sure bolt holes would not be the same, although try a search on the net, sure someone has done it before.
  14. Well it looks like the old horse has a bit of ostereoporosis, when you take your hands of the handle bars over 60 clicks, a serious case of handlebar shake happens, tank slap style...but its not, I can ride it at 100 clicks all day, but as soon as you take your hands off..bad! it also seems to result in the bike generaly feeling quite unstable, im not sure what it is, bad wheel bearings, busted rim or tire, any ideas? I dont want to take it a mech, just not worth the cost, yet I cant ride it around in this shape.
  15. You lucky sod, I have been looking for a cheap SR for a long time! :grin:
  16. Well, disc brakes are far more efficient and require little adjustment to work properly, usually adjusting themselves until you run out of pads. With larger and faster bikes, hauling up rapidly and safely with drum brake/s is harder due to efficiency, not being serviced/adjusted correctly, fade and weather conditions. With a 250 of these types i.e. yours, the likely speeds and scenarios are not such an issue - just giving it some perspective for you. Change to disc if you wish, but the potential cost might be a problem.
  17. Thanks for the advice, I think I'll just leave it as drum on the front. :grin:
  18. I would go ahead and check/replace the steering stem and front wheel bearings on your bike. It's easy enough to do, even if you just pull it apart and have a mechanic press new bearings on/in.
    Drum brakes will be fine for this type of bike, just a nice laid back commuter. As with any vehicle, you will get used to it's needs and quirks, and won't be worried about it in a very short order.
    If you do feel the need to upgrade the front brakes later, just keep an eye on Ebay or similar, and pick up a complete front fork/master cylinder assembly for cheap.
    Let me tell you, undrilled solid discs on the front are not that great for stopping in the wet either!

Regards, Andrew.
  19. Cheers Typhoon, im getting used to the drums, albiet slowly, I realy want to learn my self on how to do mechanical work on this bike, so id want to do the steering head bearings and wheel bearings my self, finding info on the bike is hard, even google brings little results, im trying to find a workshop manual for it, any one know where I can buy one?
  20. Heh, sounds like the ol' CD250U I'm running around on that belongs to a mate, it's hilarious to ride!