Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

An obvious one here

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by GoTeam, Dec 8, 2006.

1. This is why you set your speed and choose the correct gear BEFORE you go into a corner.

I didn't last night but didn't panic when I knew I was going too quickly and had done almost everything wrong. I went in a bit quicker than was a comfortable speed for me and part way into the corner I got the bright idea that I should have selected second gear instead of third. The result was that the tail locked up and slid and I still had some front and back brakes applied through the corner (silly me). I knew the back would start spinning sooner or later so stood it up a little until it did then continued onwards. I backed off the front brake marginally and totally off the back brake just to make sure I didn't get in trouble. I had an escape route (up onto a driveway or the footpath) planned as well in case a lot went wrong and I needed it.

Even though I and everyone else knows that the correct speed/gear should be set up before the corner, I lapsed a little in my concentration and the above resulted.

Please let this message be a lesson to the rest of you who are beginning your time of many years of riding :) .
  2. I have done this, in fact the first day I rode the bike, I ran wide on the corner and was heading for the gutter whilst frantically fumbling with gears, clutch and brakes - I remember thinking here we go, first ride, first off, hope I don't damage the bike too much.

I managed to just miss the gutter and keep it upright, for the next half hour I turned at as many corners as I could, practicing setting up, entering speed, gear, trailing the rear brake gently if I needed to and applying power out of the corner. I am really focussed on looking through the corner to where I want the bike to go, this really helps.
  3. You're right, it is obvious. :p

A good thing to keep in mind though. We can all get caught out if we're not thinking.
  4. you know, during all the training and all they said "set your speed before you enter the corner" never really emphasized it at all... its now noted and committed to memory! :D
  5. Missing a corner is all part of the learning curve. You just gotta hope there's room wherever you end up.

6. i think this was the piece of advice i was given most - and the most effective - the bike will go where you look. the couple of spills or wides i've had - when i've thought about it have happened cause i wasn't looking where i really wanted to go.
  7. If you have a clear enough step-by-step memory of the event now, so that you can reconstruct it, that's a good thing. It means you were also able quickly to analyse it and react correctly at the time... Practice, practice practice.....