Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

An idea to solve the roads

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Middle Child, Apr 27, 2011.

1. When you start to learn on a bike we are told that riding a motorbike requires a physical element with coordination. Basically, it isn't for everybody.
    We have roads that are clogged with traffic; cars that are killing the environment; and a long procession of idiots that seem to be doing their very best to harm all those around them.

I believe that getting a driver's licence should be a privilege that, sad as it may be, not all in society should achieve. If the pass rate on driving exams dropped to maybe 40% off the population and the learning, testing and ability of drivers was massively increased through exstensive training in a variety of elements: we would ease traffic; lower the death toll; aid the environment; public transport would be improved as a majority of the population would have a vested interest in it; driving as a profession would be more highly regulated; real "hoons" could be all but eradicated.
    We build these machines that can do so much damage and then try to regulate them after we hand out control so freely. It feels like we are missing out on a big opportunity to nip the problem in the bud?

Am I on to something or way out of line?

2. I agree with you that being able to obtain your license should be a privilege and not a given or tradition that every 18 year old does. My cousin from Germany freaked out when I told him I was going to get my motorcycle learners to which he said what in 1 day? He said they had to pay in excess if eu1000 and took about a month of training to be able to obtain their licences and even then you are not guaranteed a pass as the pass rate is 50% or less.

On the plus side in Germany fines are very cheap but police actually police things like keep right unless overtaking, driving under the limit and tail gating to the point people don't dare to do it anymore.

Getting your license in France is even more harder from what I have been told.

The bad thing is in Australia so much money is being made by infringements issued to motorists that the government is used to the healthy source of income that funnels in this way. If people didn't pay up their fines for a year or some other measure this may make the govt wake up and look at other alternatives out there.
  3. I think you are on to something although I would imagine there will be a chorus of "nanny state" exclamations both here and from the community at large if even seriously considered.

Given the damage motor vehicle accidents can inflict though I do believe everyone should be required to resit their driving test at least every five years.

One thing I would suggest to make a start is that every year people are tested on their road rules knowledge - like the L's test - the number of people that still are unable to negotiate a round about or understand bus lanes astounds me and is an area that can easily be tidied up imo.
  4. SOUNDS like a good idea, until you realise the actual effect it has;
    If only 40% of the population had drivers licenses, there would be a huge drop in economic productivity. It will never happen, at least not in as an extreme version in which you outline.
  5. I have heard mention on Top Gear and places like that, that the Fins have extensive driver training which includes time on a skid pan etc. Sound like a good idea.
    I think a nanny state exists when you give some one freedom and then enforce a massive amount of restrictions on that freedom (i.e. speeding fines, safety requirements, police that must impose to the letter of the law). I think that there are many factors to someone's driving ability. Knowledge of the rules; reflexes; "active" looking at conditions; thought process and decision making. Maybe we should train and test for more than we currently do.
  6. Like to also add that the roads authorities turn a blind eye to dodgy license giving instructors. There are certain driving instructors you could pay $200-300 more than it would normally cost to do the test who are able to give you the paperwork to state you have passed. All you have then got left to do is go to the relevant road authority to get your photo taken and being handed your license as if you found it in a cereal box. These certain dodgy people need to be weeded out.
  7. Sensible, intelligent and well, obvious really.

That's why it will never be adopted in Australia. Driving is seen as a right. In my job, I spend a large part of my day in the car. Driving and being driven by other people. If made to do another licence test, 99% of drivers would fail - and we all know that the tests aren't nearly hard enough as it is.
  8. They will have to get their act together with public transport as well because as of now it is officially a nightmare.

And why the F do the trains have to stop at night??
  9. Haven't really caught the Sydney suburban trains enough to comment on their state but from the times I did they seemed ok.

I think Melbourne probably has one of the poorest rail & train networks in the developed world. To many surface stations and not enough underground, operators changing hand of late, delays to trains, ticketing & security issues and the list goes on.
  10. You can talk common sense all you like, but you will never see change until you solve the problem of how influential people and vested interests are going to make more money out of it than they currently do.
  11. Im going to go against the grain a bit here:

I dont think driving should be a privilege. It should be a right and a responsibility.

Personal transport for everybody is an enormous 20th century revelation that should be protected for all people.

Having said that - you damn well better take it seriously. People need to be trained up to a much higher standard then what they currently are.

However I feel that isnt the intention of the current powers since a well educated public is a hard to manipulate public...

Speed kills? lol
  12. good points. It waould be good if the infringement revenue went into designated driver training centres that teach all drivers how to use the roads and handle all types of situations. I have often sat behind someone in a "officially licenced instructor vehicle" and am astounded at the driving, frightening. The standard is too low.

As riders we are taught to be aware of drivers, ironic me thinks.