Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

An hour of practice - moto exercises?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by dima, Apr 24, 2013.

1. At the end of the day, after work, I often feel like practicing something on the bike. Maybe an hour or so.

While commuting I work on multiple things (lines, late braking so it is closer to emergency, some road positioning experiments etc).

But there you go, I'm 3 mins from home and don't want to stop. Want to go for another 30 mins or so.

What are some interesting exercises I can do somewhere in the parking lot or on the backroads? (I wish Saturday prac was every evening somewhere LOL)

I don't mind using some chalk for figure of 8 to appear or similar stuff.

So what kind of exercises do you know, like/dislike to do?

It would be great if the exercises would be measurable too (as in stop within 15, 13, 10, 8 meters from 50kmh).

• Like Like x 1
  2. slow riding.
    go as slow as you can for as long as you can and keep it as straight as you can.
    you can even mix it up and put some obstacles out to weave through
    you can mix it up even more and go slower!

if you get it right, you should be able to stop for a few secs without putting your foot down. handy and looks cool
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Wow. I expected all kind of replies here. Surprised.

Ok. One of the things I do: laps around 1-2 90-ish degree corners trying different lines. Forcing myself to run wide and react. See how the lines feel and what works better.
  4. check out some motogymkhana sites for ideas. A bunch of half tennis balls an
    d a parking lot and you could have some fun.
  5. I would practice after work, but thanks to Melbourne being elcrap its pitch black at 5:30 now >_>
  6. You don't plan to ride in the dark ?
  7. If you manage to learn to sit, stopped on the bike without a foot down at traffic lights it pisses off the push bike riders no end! ;)

Oh, you didn't get the kind of suggestions you wanted?

Sorry. ;)
  8. Personally I am not a fan of the what if factor. I think practicing correct ways of taking the corner over and over and over again puts this skill to memory, and should there become an issue in that corner then your skills will automatically kick in to correct the line.
    Personally example would be when I was at Phillip Island on Thursday. I thought my green tyres were hot enough to start scrubbing them but coming into turn 1 I still managed to start running wide. It was my skills that kicked in then told me not to panic, not to target fixate at the grass make gentle and small corrections that put me back on course. It was not me practicing and forcing myself to go wide and react that fixed the line.
    I also took the opportunity to practice some of the CSS skills that day. I managed to get turn 2 spot on lap after lap after lap that day and all managed to control my demons on those to scary slow right handers, by practicing correct corning technics.
    If you want something to practice try E-braking while in a turn whilst your leaned over. That's a life saving skill to practice.
    Find a gentle sweep with plenty of room throw a cone in the middle of the road around the bend. When you front wheel gets to the cone pickup the bike and E Brake( don't e brake whilst leaned.
  9. Stand the bike up and stop mid corner. U-Turns and figure 8's. Stop and Go and try to not put your fut down between stops - eventually.
    • Like Like x 1