Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

An Eventful Morning

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by PatB, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Coming down Greenmount Hill this morning, which is a long, curvy downhill stretch of dual carriageway with two lanes in each direction, I was keeping to the left lane as usual and occasionally pulling into the right lane to overtake the trucks which are limited to 40kmh on that stretch. Not long after starting the descent I noticed a car sitting in the right lane right in my blind spot. Headchecks picked him up but he was completely invisible in my mirrors. He kept station like that all the way down the hill. Not only that, but every time I indicated to pull out around a truck he'd accelerate as if to try and keep me out of his lane.

None of this fazed me much. It's actually fairly standard behaviour on Greenmount and I've been dealing with it every day for twelve years now. What got me, though, was the fact that when he finally swept past me, 20kmh over the limit, there were magnetic signs on the doors saying "WA Advanced Training Academy".

I find it worrying that a driver training company (I Googled them) appear to be teaching people that sitting in blind spots and bullying motorcycles is good practice. Must have been the Taxi Operator course they offer :D.

Only a few ks further on, on Roe Highway, I spotted a tradie's ute a couple of vehicles ahead with a pile of sheets of gyproc on the roofrack. The wind at 100 kmh was peeling sheets off the top of the pile and flinging them at following traffic. He'd lost at least three before noticing and stopping. That was worrying enough in itself, but I was also interested to see the cars immediately behind him appeared not to even notice what was happening. No backing off, no braking, no evasive action of any kind. Are these people blind or what?

Actually, don't answer that. I've been doing this long enough to know already.
  2. angry e-mail time.
  3. +1

Definitely flag that sort of behaviour with them, they're supposed to care about their behaviour and reputation.

You could also call ACA or Today Tonight, they usually eat this crap up here in VIC ... but then they'd only air a chopped up 5 seconds of a two hour interview with you, misquote you then spin it against you ... so maybe that's a bad idea.
  4. I was going to ring them but by the time I'd had a good whinge on NR and the moment had passed and I'm back to my usual slothful, confronation avoiding self.

I'll be keeping an eye open for them though and a second offence will piss me off sufficiently to get off my arse and make the complaint.