Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

An airhorn, my kingdom for an airhorn...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Misty, Sep 27, 2005.

1. So next time some twit in a black BMW does a right-hand turn right in my path I can blast her loud and long instead of swearing futilely inside my helmet.

Although, even if my bike had a really impressive horn I would have been way too occupied with staying upright & under control while stopping in a big hurry to think of anything else anyway.

There are, however, situations which are thoroughly annoying, yet less life-threatening where a decent horn would be really, really handy.
  2. Quick - someone call VTRBob. :shock:
  3. You could always try installing some sort of P.A. system on the bike then rig up a microphone inside the helmet :)
  4. One of the nice things about my bike is the pair of matched Fiamm horns that are slightly different pitches. It sounds a bit like a small truck. I had a white van start to move over on me on the elevated Citylink the other day (I was passing through his rather substantial blind spot). He did the usual lurch sideways followed by a single flash of the indicator. As often happens, his lurch was preceded by a little wobble toward my lane when the thought occurred to him, so I had some warning. A short sharp blast on the horn from right behind his ear had him lurching violently back the other way. ;-)

The horns are not expensive, and Supacheap sell a pretty good version. I've mounted mine with a relay to maximise the available current. The horn relay is switched by the horn button, which gets its electrickery by a rather circuitous ;-) route, but the power side of the horn relay is a big beefy wire straight back to the battery. The difference this makes is quite worthwhile.

I've thought about air horns, but finding somewhere to mount them is a bit of a problem.