Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

An actaul hit

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Mendy, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Yesterday while riding through a narrow twisty street with two corners (S-bend), I was just approaching the first corner when a small 4x4 sped through while covering both sides of the road.
    I pulled the brakes, a bit much](*,), and the bike flipped over sideways. I was not going too fast at all, and so I got only a few scratches on my leg.
    The driver left the scene :jerk: but the kind person behind me in another 4x4 helped me up and offered assistance (a lift and to call the ambo's). Unfortunately, neither I or her caught the rego or anything. :soapbox:

The bike suffered a broken screen and some scratches/marks and a broken mirror. A little bit of oil? started leaking too. But I only lived close by, so rode home.

I must have touched the throttle while falling off, as the bike went quite a bit forward after I initially fell down.

This happened exactly a week after I got my L's. :facepalm:

Anyways, lucky that no-one got hurt too badly and that the driver behind was very kind.

Rant/story over.
  2. Bad luck mate... Good to hear you ok though
  3. Thats no good! You will find though that as you get a few kilometres under your belt, your experience and skills level will increase. When I was going through my Learner/just got my licence phase, I thought I would never feel comfortable riding, and I had an incident too just after getting my licence when I made a stupid mistake and came off in front of a car..... Anyway. I hope you get back on soon and put that one behind you, theres a lot of good riding ahead!
  4. Cheers for the good words.
  5. I hope you live up to your name and heal quick (y). At least you can live and learn from this one. It wouldn't surprise me if the 4wd driver was totally oblivious to it all :roll:
  6. Well done, you got that out of the way quickly! Now, what can you do to make sure you don't ditch your bike again in the same situation?
  7. Ouch sorry to hear of your off, if you have insurance, get a mechanic to pick the bike up and give it a look over and repair, if it's started leaking oil riding it further to a mechanic may cause more damage.
    And dont worry afterwards get out and riding, you will soon enough begin to anticipate other road users ways as much as possible, the more you are out there, the more you can learn from this , then your roadcraft will increase and cars will think you have spidey senses, if they ever notice us that is :LOL:
  8. Yep, plenty of drivers just don't give two hoots about our safety. Glad to hear you're ok. I did the same thing a few weeks back. It left me feeling a bit twitchy on the bike for about a week after (the reality of the dangers becomes less abstract and more 'felt in your bones') - probably worth going and doing a nice run in a safe-ish place if you feel so too, will cure the feeling (Kew Boulevard is good if you live close enough to that).

Last night after an emergency stop for a moron who looked at me and pulled out and stopped (so that I had to emergency brake from 60kph with him content to sit across the two lanes,me on the horn then revving my vacuum cleaner) I finally snapped - I removed my baffle! Van load of incompetents started driving dangerously near me tonight at 60kph (at 40, then 80, then slowly to sit in front of my and wobble about), so as I was about to pass through their blind spot I dropped into first, and wow did they move over! Get yourself a nice pipe! :)