Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Amusing admission from the other half

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by sonja, Jun 23, 2006.

1. My SO last night admitted that there was another reason he didn't want the next bike I get to be more powerful than his (rather lovely) ER-5 is that it would bruise his male ego.

Anyone else had the same thing?

2. if he thought about it he would give you his and get a big bike

3. Hmm yeah were such fragile little things.

seriously, if he's around youre age, he might grow out of that attitude in say...... 10 - 15 years, then again some guys never do.

4. I wouldn't ride his. It's not my type.

Pretty, yes, but I'm not a naked bike girl (parse that however you will :p ).

I'm looking at the new ZZR600.

5. The way I look at it is that its not about what you ride, its about the freedom of being on two wheels and out of the cage. If he's gonna whinge because you have a bigger bike then tell him to get over it. He should be grateful he's got a chick to ride with.

Get a bike because you want it. Don't base your decision on other people. You will only be dissappointed in the long run.

6. I tell ya about a fragile ego.

The fastest I have ever been on a motorcycle is around 240 kays an hour at Phillip Island on my trusty old VTR1000 (Great bike she was... :cry: ).

My non-loving motorbike girlfriend on the other hand used to work for Suzuki has done 260 kays an hour on the back of a Hayabusa.

And doesn't she let me know about it :LOL:

This will now require me killing myself at the end of Gardner straight to better this to try and stop the merciless teasing.

Oh the pain the pain...

7. He's not trying to stop me doing anything (and knows that he's not going to succeed if he tries), it was just an admission he made.

I took it very seriously (and surprised) because he's not an egotistical person when it comes to bikes. He's nowhere near as enthusiastic as me about them (part of the reason he's not a poster here).

Now I just want to laugh about it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

8. Get a ZX14..............and ask for some free therapy for the SO ;)

9. Tell him it doesn't matter because regardless of what youu ride, the ER-5 is a girls bike anyway. :cool: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:oops: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

10. 'Re-assure' him by saying that 'size doesn't matter' :LOL:

11. Nah, it's not a girls bike. Really, he's still being a careful rider and all that.

He's getting better, but the ER suits him down to the ground.

12. It most certainly is a 'girls' bike. That's why they were designed. Affordable, reliable, naked commuter with low seat height.
    He has every reason to feel inadequate :)

13. I can vouch otherwise. He's a pretty darn good rider, and the ER is close to the first bike we rode (collecting dust in the garage), a Suzuki TU.

Cute little thing it is, too.

He contemplated the Monster, but it was too expensive.

14. +1 agreed. :rofl:

I think you'll have to tell him. He has a right to know. :wink:

15. The ER-5 is the bike equivalent of a VW Golf.
    Not a bad bike by any stretch, but certainly not 'masculine'.

16. It's a "male thing." You'd best get over it.

A reciprocal example would be a man trying to have a better haircut than a woman. Sure, a few women wouldn't care, but most would go straight to the salon to put in colour, highlights and extensions made from out-of-pocket Uni students.

Sorry, but my hormones are continually telling me to have something faster. Women can blame hormones for being angry, illogical and emotional, but please note that we men reserve this "impluse" for blaming on our testosterone.

17. lol now that is funny :)

18. I never said I was offended by it or anything like that. Read the post again.

As to all of you who're insulting my partner, I take offense.

A woman riding a Harley is not usually called butch, so why insult a man for his choice in bikes?

19. Similiar, but it wasn't ego .. jealousy! :grin:

I got my bike license many years ago, and rode for some time before being t-boned. Was a poor uni student and the other driver refused responsibility. Without a witness the insurance refused to pay-out so I was left with no transport and no money. Parent's refused to loan money if I brought a bike with it, so I got a tin-top and forgot about riding after a while.

About 4 years ago, my wife comes home and announces she's booked in to get her bike learners with a work collegue (she knew I had my license). She got her license and a few weeks afterwards we start to look at bikes for her. She finds one at a dealers and we leave a deposit. Here's where the jealousy kicks-in as it dawns that in a few days time she'll have a bike and I won't! ... On the way to pick-up her bike on the Sat morning, we stop by another dealers on the way and I buy a bike too!

No way I could let her have a bike and not me .. it wasn't ego, but the jealousy would have gotten to me something shocking :)

The reason for my story .. maybe he would be jealous of you having a bigger bike and he confuses it for ego ??

20. Ummm no...more likely 'dyke on a bike'. Women are generally smarter than men, one who conciously chooses to ride agricultural machinery needs help.