Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ammo boxes as panniers

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by pragnasty, Jun 16, 2006.

1. gday guys and gals
    just wondering if anyone has had experience trying to convert ammo boxes to panniers for their motorbike?

saw some at the local camping store for about 50 a piece..

if seen a few websites on the concept and it looks like a good cheap way to go, instead of forking out a thou for what i really want.

i can get access to sheet aluminium (at cost :grin: ) and ive heard of people keeping the subframe of the box and replacing the panels to lighten the box.

i could also manufacture the boxes from scratch.. but too much effort for me...

i already have a large rack which mounts off the original handle.
    [IMG:408:308:54f6df00ba]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c258/pragnasty/100_1456.jpg[/img:54f6df00ba]
    and i figured id just get some 5mm plate unstayed angle brackets (2 bolted together like a upside down " U " and just ubolt these to that luggage rack. and then the ammo boxes bolted to the brackets.

their are 2 points under the seat frame where i could also mount some brackets/stays off to reinforce the panniers more..
    i also thought of running a stay off the pillion foot rest.

i dont expect to be carrying much weight maybe 15kgs max in each..

only problem is my exhaust which sits pretty high, so i guess id have to mount one box off to side a little more....or cut out and shape a curved section to fit the exhaust....

main thing is though i dont want a permenant fix just something i can unbolt and go back to stock bike...therefore the ubolts and hopefully no drilling into the fibreglass panels!!!

thoughts? sugggestions? complete plans and measurements?

cheers linz