Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ambulances on accident spot

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by The Mischief Makers, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. Silly question for you.
    I was wondering about something: I don't have an ambulance membership ( or whatever it's called ) and I figured that if I go "splat" on the road for whatever reason and somebody calls an ambulance I would have to pay for it.

    Do you know if it is possible to refuse to be taken in the ambulance if you're not badly hurt?

    Example, if (like last time I crashed hahaha) I break only my hand, or if a mate's around and happy to drive me to casualties, it'd be a bit over the top to go with the bells and whistles while somebody else might need it more than me.

    Also, if you have an ambulance membership, (independently of your insurance), which one did you choose?
  2. your TAC cover pays the ambulance :)
  3. :grin:

    Cool. Thanks for the answer!
  4. I didn't realise that Caz .. Thanks ! :wink:
  5. TAC rooooolz. They make a lot of shitty ads, but then they give you loads of money. Yay!
  6. Also, I think.... if you are a pension card/healthcare card holder, you are covered as well, if you need an ambulance in the event of an incident that is not on the road.
  7. transport accident commision.
    Not sure what's it's called in Sydney, but our CTP/Compulsory Third Party insurance is covered with our rego, where as you guys need to go source it privately, some coloured slip, pink or blue or something :? :wink:
    Our CTP is also "no fault" based, and covers all persons involved, regardless of who is at fault. Where as in Sydney I am led to believe it only covers others and not you.
  8. Yep, and ouch too! :(

    The vic system is far superior, i just transferred back to nsw. My GF and I have the bike and 2 cars between us. Gets expensive at the end of the day.

    And yes, CTP only covers the "third party" and it's a green slip.
  9. Take the ambulance. As previously stated the TAC will cover the transport.

    However, it is my understanding that they will not cover attendance charges. This means that if you have an accident and refuse the ambulance that you will be liable for the charges.

    For $50-60 a year why wouldn't you join?

    Go to the TAC website, type in ambulance in the search box and have aread yourself.
  10. NRMA also covers the driver of the at fault vehicle.

    CIC-Allianz also does it but not if you ride a motorcycle. Pricks!!!

  11. Yes, I think it's the best solution. I just haven't been around to look into it yet. Thanks. :)
  12. Take it from me, TAC rules! :cool:
  13. But if your at home and you fall off a ladder and smash your face up then you will pay by going to the hospital in the ambulance.
  14. If you have private health insurance, you'd most likely be covered as well :)
  15. You would, but remember that there are gaps that you'd have to cover yourself.

    TAC covers all expenses provided you are admitted to hospital overnight.
  16. I believe they also cover you if your not admitted as long as your onging treatment reaches a certain amount, what the threshold is I can't say, about $500 I think from memory.
  17. Spot on Caz. Not sure about the amount though. Either way, some things about Victoria's Government is A-OK :LOL:
  18. You should check the wording of the NRMA's policy CTP AT-FAULT DRIVER POLICY.
    You will find that a motorcycle is not covered if at fault by NRMA.

    motor vehicle
    means the motor vehicle insured by your NRMA
    CTP Insurance, but excludes vehicles registered as a
    motor cycle, taxi cab, police vehicle, ambulance,
    machinery, bus and self driven hire vehicle.

    see http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/motor/ctp/nsw/media/policy.pdf
  19. It's $564 and you don't have to be in overnight.

    For accidents occurring on or after 1 January 1995, the TAC will not apply the medical excess after a client has been an in-patient for 1 day or more, because of injuries suffered in the transport accident.

    The term ‘in-patient’ includes same-day patients.

    In other words you have to be actually admitted - not just treated in casualty.

    this is what the TAC will pay for: