Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ambulance nearly taken out

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Matchstick01, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Just curious bout your guys opinions about something which nearly happened. Most mornings i take the m5 carpark to work, and generally end up splitting the majority of it. Something which seems to happen fairly regularly is that as i'm approaching, some trucks tend to move over about half a meter into the emergency lane to give me more space to get through.

Anyhow this morning whilst i was splitting there was one of those forester ambulances going down the emergency lane. It had its lights flashing but no siren on. I kind of backed off a bit and the ambulance pulled away in front, but as i came up behind a truck, rather then going past i sat behind him for a little bit (he was moving slowly). I think he musnt have seen the ambo and thaught i couldn't get through cos i didn't have enough room or something, and he started to move out into the emergency lane to give me more room. I couldn't see how close it was, but the emergency lane there isn't particularly wide it musta been pretty close.

I felt bad cos i felt like it was my fault. the truckie moved out without looking but he was trying to do me a favour. Have any of you guys had similar experiences?

2. [​IMG]

So the ambulance pulled over into the emergency lane and stopped?

Or the ambulance went to undertake in the emergency lane and the truck cut him off?

The truck hit the ambulance?

3. I'm presuming:

No, Yes, No, Don't get the cat stoned
  4. :WStupid: Bingo, ambo was travelling down the emergency lane, and i'm pressuming they didn't make contact cos they both kept going, but it woulda been very close.
  5. It is the trucks responsibility to check before he moves.
    It is your responsibility to check before you move.
    You backed off to not cause an incident.
    How could it be your fault?
  6. It's not his fault but what he's saying is he felt bad because the truckie had good intentions. Having said that if everyone relied on good intention we'd all be dead! Haha.
  7. Yes and by re-iterating that he was not at fault it makes it apparent that there is no reason to feel guilt "feel bad"

How about you have a think before laying in the boot.
  8. Relax Please.... hardly a boot...

I think that re-iterating something doesnt necessarily remove guilt... Even when people tell you and tell you that you havent done anything wrong - you still sometimes take on board some emotion regarding the event...

I can understand what the OP is saying, and yeah I agree that its not his fault - but that doesnt mean he wouldnt have felt guilty if there had been a smash... even though he still would have done nothing wrong...

I cant actually say anything similar has happened to me... but at least there was no incident so you can breathe easy :grin:
  9. well pretty sure if anyone was in the wrong it was the ambulance driver, the truck driver should not need to check the emergency lane as NO vehcile should be there, and yes not even ambulances, its a break down lane and a thorough fare, even if it had its lights going not everyone will see them thats why they have sirens so they can be heard and other motorist can get out of the way if neccessary
  10. Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulances can use this lane (and any other part of the road) when they need to.

Further it is the diverging drivers responsibilty to check every time they move lanes.
  11. I agree the truck should have looked and that is why i say that s/he was primarily at fault.

But I was under the impression that if they were doing something that was not considered strictly legal (speed limits red lights, emergency lanes) that they had to have all alerting signals running (Lights and siren)

I know that ambulances try to not run the siren when they have a patient on board, but the Forester units don't carry patients
  12. Dude you don't get it.
    I got knocked off my bike last week - I did nothing wrong.
    But I did feel a bit of guilt because maybe I could have done "nothing wrong" better. I could have been a bit more cautious, slower, faster, more obvious. Yeah it wasn't my fault at all and liability lay completely with the other guy but you still feel a "bit" bad. It doesn't mean I lost sleep or cried over it, OR gave the other guy any concession for his mistake.

It's called empathy and you need to use it as we are all only human.
  13. Here in Victoria there is three levels of Ambulance responce to an incident.

1. Urgent Lights & Sirens - Basically get there real quick
    2. Semi Urgent - Use lights only to get better run through traffic (I think they can use siren at traffic lights with discretion)
    3. Non Urgent - Normal road traffic speeds

Police & Fire Brigades have similar turn out rules as well.

Emergency vehicles are permitted to break normal traffic rules "if safe to do so" but in an incident or collision the emergency vehicle driver will get into trouble if they breached a normal road law to cause the problem (think running Red light, driving on wrong side of the road).

According to an Ambo mate they are encouraged not to overdrive going to jobs as if they crash they tie up three units being their crashed unit, the replacement one that then gets dispatched and the one sent to check on them.
  14. Oh cool... well, I know for the firey's that "Our favourite pizza place is about to close" is classified URGENT then.
  15. Yeah I do get it actually I just have a different view on how to handle it.
    taiheung why are you so insistent that your way is the only way and that i am an idiot?

matchsticks proactively made sure he was doing the right thing. Guilt is a mighty powerful tool, it tells you when you screwed up. You can carry it forever, or you can learn from it and not repeat the error. In this case there was a proactive attempt to make sure not mistake was made. There was nothing to feel bad about.

Yep there was something to take a deep breath and hope that nothing went bad over, but he proactively made sure he didn't impact the situation. This is good riding, and good living. so to carry around a feeling of guilt (the feel bad thing) is not helpful in life. He did the right thing and should feel good about it. This is my message. How about we drop this as it is matchsticks thread and your continuous insistences that i am wrong do not address his experience at all.
  16. Don't worry about it Matchstick. No-one was hurt so it's no big deal. :)

I would've felt bad in your position too if someone had risked a stack trying to let me through but it's not your fault if the truck misread the traffic. :)