Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ambitions Ahead of Abilities ?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by DuHAST, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Congrats to those upgrading & new bike purchases but with all due respect I just have to ask the question here,

- are some of you ready for a faster bike?

There was no shortage of netcrashers last summer & many 250 sports bike riders come off and subsequently binned their bikes, but instead of replacing them they purchase a larger capacity bike, this sounds bizarre to me, isn’t it clear that you need more time/practice/instruction to master your 250 before progressing to a faster & bigger capacity sports bike?
    I would have thought so.
    I’m no expert & I don’t ride a sports bike, but of those that I’ve known most have served their time doing the standard apprenticeship of : 250cc – 600cc – 1000cc, and most importantly they have spent the time to master each capacity before going on to the next one.
    I see the logic in that as an investment in your safety and wellbeing.
    Hope some of you know what you’re doing.

2. awww, isn't that cute, he does have a heart after all :p
  3. bwahahhahaha, I think he went to teh Emerald City and asked the wizard of Oz very very nicely for a heart.

Now all he needs is the brains and the courage and he'll be ½ human

4. Hey cant you see that yellow helmet I’m wearing has a propeller on it, this is what powers the über brain I have been blessed with :LOL:

Now vic that infamous pic of you on that staunch scooter - did you upgrade straight from that to your current firestorm?
  5. Errr, that scooter wasnt mine, it was the MRAA membership secretary's :p

He traded down to a ZZR600

I went from a babyblade to a zx6r to an SP1 to a firestorm
  6. I have a girl's mountain bike, vroom vroom! :biker:
  7. Mine's a boys bike. :p Repco Fasttrack. Even the name says it's fast. Bet ya can't beat that! :p
  8. I have ten gears and because it's a womans bike it will always be right and therefore faster. You lose bucko :p :LOL:
  9. Yes dear.

You're right dear.

I know dear.

I'm sorry dear.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  10. I can see your point there DuHast. Seems many riders seem to have the "bigger has to be better" mentality. Or to be a "real motorcyclist" you have to ride something with a capacity over a litre. Don't you know you need at least 150 horsepower to pass cars "safely"? And to go touring you need at least 1200cc's or the sky will fall in. Or your mates will laugh at you. Or you just plain won't make it to your destination. Because if the wind blows in the wrong direction you will not be able to make foward progress at all & may even start to go backwards you see. There is just no respect to be had for someone riding anything under a 500.
  11. Hell yeah - look how many posts on this forum say stuff like 'can't wait to get a bigger bike', '250s are slow and no good' blah blah blah. Size of the balls, not the size of the bike is the key! Get good on what ya got.
  12. I don't agree entirely that more experience is needed.

I bought a new 'go fast' bike and promptly crashed it 2 months ago myself. This was entirely my fault because I was trying to push the bike too hard, driving recklessly, and put myself in an unsaveable situation.

It's something I've learnt from. You really have to ride like a granny on the road. I don't mean slowly of course, but I've learnt that even though I own a sports bike, you can't ride it like it's a sports bike. You have to ride slowly, considerately, carefully at all times. If you're trying to have maximum fun all the time you will crash.

Kind of makes owning a sports bike seem pointless. You really just have to ride like you're going from A to B. With my previous attitude, I was trying to get maximum corner speed through every bend. Now I might as well be riding a GS500 (not that there's anything wrong with that...), because that's as much handling and power as you can afford to use safely on the road.

I had a bad attitude (and I still have a way to go to undo my 'showoff' ways), and it wouldn't have mattered how much horsepower I had or how much experience. Riding a bike isn't that hard after a while. I could ride any size/power bike for months on end, and not have an accident. It's just as soon as the attitude sets in, which most of the young riders I know have a little of, that there's going to be an accident.

I could hustle a 250 around a racetrack as fast as anyone. Braking, steering, gear change etc... all pretty much down pat, no big deal. So I have not much more to learn if I did spend more time on a 250- I've internalised the basic skills, where it's all natural and automatic. I'm as ready for a bigger bike as I'll ever be.

So I don't see it as needing more experience to handle a bigger bike. Most learners I know can ride safely if they really want to. What we need to have less accidents, is a change in attitudes, and a greater respect for the danger of riding these machines.
  13. People crash because they ride to someone elses ability and not their own.

I dont feel that people need to have xxx amount of years of experience on a 250 before they go to a bigger bike.

They need to master their attitudes as opposed to the CC a bike has.
  14. I remember when I first got a larger capacity bike FZR1000 from a 250cc.
    I craped myself at the extra torque this bike had and to be honest never mastered it.
    I tried keeping up with an RGV 250 and the guy run rings around me.
    I have seen this happen at the track as well, all of us doing level one at the Superbike school with big macho bikes were humbled by an 18 year old with a 125cc Aprila.
    I have come to appreciate the handling characteristics of a smaller capacity machine but I would be lucky to fit on a 250 now lack of flexibility and a gut hamper me some what. :)
  15. Spoken like a true 19yr old! :LOL:

"I'm a teenager, of course I know everything!"
  16. I thought there were heaps more 250 crashes in netrider... there you go, inferior suspension, engine, etc. Big bikes are safer so long as the throttle is respected.
  17. Why not buy the bike you really want. If i had if bought a 600 id be still trying to get it out of my arse. Buying a bike is not always about how much power but what you feel the most comfortable on. Some might say i bought the 12 for the ego side of it. But when i made my final decision it was based on what i felt the most comfortable on. I know i am not going to be able to keep up with some of my peers, but one thing i knew from day 1 was, if i dont respect the throttle its going to bite me very very hard.
  18. Are you for real? At your age you are in NO position to comment on what the other "young" riders do. Its attitudes like that which ruin if for all riders.

Lets face it unless we ride as a means of transport we generally ride for the fun of it, so it takes a level of maturity to know when to ride within your limits and when NOT to show off.
  19. [So I don't see it as needing more experience to handle a bigger bike. Most learners I know can ride safely if they really want to. What we need to have less accidents, is a change in attitudes, and a greater respect for the danger of riding these machines.[/quote]

Kebabs, I for one am really impressed that you put your thoughts out there for all to see. Sadly the more painful the experience the better the lesson is learnt. I think you've got it spot on - It's not about power, it's about attitude.
    If you don't have the right attitude you can make other people's lives a nightmare on a postie. At eighteen I think your showing maturity well beyond your age. It takes guts to stand up and say I stuffed up.

You don't mention who helped you develop a way better attitude and if you've done all that on your own then you've done a great job else keep listening to that wise old bastard who put you in the picture - hope that was your Dad 'cos he's still got lots more to say - on other subjects I'm sure and he's free.
  20. Interesting subject.

Ok i got a """ hypothetical""".????

I have been on my GS500 for 7 months done around 4000km ,mostly long rides and a few city trips, done the weekend roads that everyone does and in MY own pace.

Ok so now i can "handle"{read control }my bike in the rain on hills and not over run corners ,as im in MY limits.

Remember its only a hypothetica ,and the reason i would buy a gixxer was for the i want to look KOOL, as i havn't mastered the 500cc GS.
    The question??????
    So why would me buying a say gixxer600 ,make me a better rider or worse rider???????
    Why is it BAD as the topic sugests.

If you can control the revs and your head ,then its not a bad thng ...????????