Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Amazingly stupid question concerning fuel range

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Azamakumar, Jul 14, 2009.

1. After reading an endless number of stories of people running out of petrol mid ride or running their reserve dry, I decided I want to know what I could really come to expect from a full tank given my throttle happy style of riding. Having recently acquired a brand spanking new GT250R at the turn of the month (bring on the jokes) I've been curious as to how far one tank would really get me.

Read an NRMA report that said that once the fuel gauge reads 0 you hit reserve. The manual says when it reads empty I have 3.4L left (of 17L +2.1L reserve). Not knowing which one to take (more inclined to the NRMA road test) all I know is that everyone here would stand by an odo reading over a fuel gauge. So my plan is to run my tank completely dry some time when one of my parents would be home to bail me out. Or on the weekend with my riding buddy for extra lols. I was bent on getting this done yesterday, but the last bar was flashing up from around 300km, and I chickened out at 340 and brought it home. The old man has taken an interest in this and doesn't object to my research, so it's full steam ahead.

So here's the part where I ask for advice.

1) Would I damage anything doing this to a brand new bike? (hyo jokes aside)
    2) Besides the obvious keep it off freeways or lapping a servo, anything I should keep in mind when planning my routes?
    3) Anyone thats done this before with some tips on anything I've overlooked would be much appreciated.
    4) Oh yeah, I've got roadside assistance (or something of that sort) from swann. Would that cover an empty tank? Will read the PDS when I find it later to make sure. Probably a moot point because I'd feel like a goose calling up and explaining that I was out of petrol.
  2. I planned on doing that one day, and my Dad said to me, "why bother?" And I guess I didn't really have an answer. Fuel light on my bike is sufficient. You won't do any damage to the bike. Stay off the fast bits.

My roadside insurance covers fuel issues, as I found out when my old accident damaged car had a faulty fuel guage. Just had to ring em, go with em to the servo and pay for the fuel while they filled the jerry can. Pretty embarassing but more importantly annoying when you duck out at 3am to get the missus some Nurofen and come back 2 or so hours later.
  3. You probably won't do any damage as its just a normal carburettored 250. Does it even have a fuel pump?
    If it was a modern fuel injected vehicle, it can apparently take some time to prime the fuel injection system after running empty. But its not.

I'd grab a small sealed jerry can and carry it with you.
  4. So far you know you can get at least 340 off a tank. Have you hit reserve yet?

If not, take note of your kms when you hit reserve, then work out your klms per litre, (klms travelled divided by litres used (17L right?) times that by your remaining litres, (Should be 2.1), add to klms already traveled, then you have your theoretical limit. Your fuel consumption will be pretty steady on a 250, irrespective of how you ride it.

No need to run it dry, unless you want to!
  5. Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode along these lines?
  6. +1 - bring a jerry can and cut sick.
  7. Choose your location - will your Dad come and pick you up from the middle of a three lane freeway when your bike stops :shock:

Reality is that you are rarely more than 40kms from a servo - why not work on that.
  8. I would go with MV's advice, calculate it, running a tank completely dry is really not a good idea. All it takes is one little bit of crap a the bottom of the tank to get sucked into your fuel lines and you will be cursing yourself for attempting this. OK so a new bike should not have anything in the tank yet but is it worth the risk?

9. Obviously just take some extra fuel with you and chuck it in when you run out :)

As for the route, I'd do the type of riding you do most often - eg. commuting to wherever at same time of day, etc. As your fuel consumption will depend entirely on conditions. I know I can get under 6L/100 at freeway speed and have an 18L tank so must be able to do at least 250 before the 3L reserve, and 300kms before being empty in those conditions..

But if its pure twisty carving its more like 200 until reserve, 240 til vapours.

So yeah, use it as a guide but keep in mind consumption can change a fair bit, depending on alot of things.
  10. Yeah that was more or less my inspiration for this.

As for MVrog's suggestion, I would love to do that but alas I have no idea of actually figuring out when I've hit reserve, hence the point of all this uneccessary experimenting. The manual says the E (empty) light will flash red when you're on reserve. Well the E light is flashing, but the gauge doesn't read empty yet. Flash red? Nothing on the dash has red colouring on it. fcuk me dead.

Also the jerry can seems a no brainer, no clue why it hadn't occured to me before. Thanks for all the replies.
  11. Or should I just count my chickens? Fill up at the servo tomorrow and do some maths with whatever the pump says? Running it dry seems painfully unnecessary after reading through.

I mean really, I'd be hard pressed to go a trip more than 340km, and if I was I'd probably just take a car. I think the only reason I want to do this is to find out what exactly the fuel gauge'll do along the way.
  12. Curiosity killed the cat.
  13. If you really want to run dry you already know that the bike will do more than 340 to reserve so you can estimate reasonably how far you will get from a full tank. Do a circuit a bit short of that and then when you are back near home do small circuits of a few kms until you run dry. That way you won't be far from home.

If you then either carry some extra fuel in a container or have someone bring you some, everything should be sweet.

There is a theoretical risk of sucking crap out of the tank but it should be minimal in a new bike.

However you don't need to do any of this. You don't need to run out or even run down to reserve. Just do a decent run and note your distance and how much to refill and do the math.

Even when you know how far you will get, you still need to be a bit conservative. Depending on my riding style and on my bike state of tuen, I can easily get 20 and maybe even 40 km variation from a tank.
  14. Why not do an even 300 KM or whatever, take the bike to the servo put it on it's centrestand, fill it to the brim. Tank Capacity - Amount you put in = remaining litres.
    300 KM / Amount you put in = KPL (how many KMs you get per litre.)
    KPL * Remaining litres = Remaining Kilometres
    Remaining + 300 = how much you can get out of your bike :wink:
  15. I asked myself the same question as you not long ago then gave up on the idea.

Was that your first tank? I got less on my first tank than any other time. Even if you're throttle happy, having it blinking at 300 km doesn't sound right to me. On the Woodend ride, I was on the throttle stop for enough of it and my gauge didn't start blinking until I hit 380 km. Normally, it starts blinking around 400 km and then I go searching to fuel it up (and put in about 13 L). From that, I'd say the 3.4 L you listed is probably about right when its on reserve. The upside of the bike not putting out any power means it doesn't drink much petrol. The downside of not drinking much petrol is that the throttle doesn't turn around enough. :p

After a few tanks you'll get a good idea of how far you'll go with your normal riding.
  16. It will flash red when its on reserve. I saw it on someone else's GT250R.
  17. I wouldn't deliberately run out of fuel -- those fuel feeds suck pretty damn hard and you wouldn't want the chance of them catching some debris.

All you really need to know if how much km you're getting per liter --> which is pretty easily calculated after a few fillups. Just reset your tripmeter before you fill up, and see how many km you're getting the next time you fill up by noting how many liters you're putting into the tank

Do that a few times, and you should know how many km you'll get per full tank.
  18. Was it an 09? For some dumb reason I was looking at bikes ads and someone upped a pic of their dash on their 08. It had white/red on a black display, the 09's have black on a white display. This was the only difference between the 08s and 09s so naturally they didn't bother with an updated manual. Lucky me. I feel obliged to ask you (or I suppose anyone else with an 08 gt250r) is was it just the last (red) bar that was flashing or the last bar and hte pic of the fuel pump at the top, because that's what I'm getting now.

Will probably fill it up on the weekend with a mate seeing as I lack a centrestand, get as much juice in as I can and work backwards. But probably given your experience with it going off at 380 I'll give it a few runs and see what happens. Btw, the first time I had it flashing was something about 280, but it went back up to 3/10 after a few mins of riding. I suppose if the gauge reads 0 and I can get around the block a couple of times I'll take it as on reserve and leave it at that. If anyone with an 09 model could enlighten me I'd greatly appreciate it.

19. Mine is a MY09 and their GT250R is a MY08 so their display is as what you wrote. I presumed since mine is a GT250 that they made the subtle difference of no red on the display. I could be wrong. Mine is the black on white LCD display and it starts flashing at one or two bars. The sensor must be towards the back of the tank because when you go downhill on a low tank it'll start flashing then when you level out again, you'll get another bar or two and it'll stop flashing. When you go uphill, you'll get another bar or two showing until you level out again.

Given the size of the tank on the Hyosungs and lack of hp it puts out (compared to a VTR), you should easily be clearing 300 km before getting the flashing fuel gauge. I fill mine up whilst on the side stand and keep filling until the entire ring (when you look into the tank) has petrol touching it.
  20. Is this a myth? I presume the feeder line to the carbies is the same one being on reserve or not and that there is simply a low-level sensor which makes the gauge start blinking to let you know you're "on reserve". If this is the case then anything (e.g. debris) that is in the tank will be heavier than petrol so will tend to settle to the bottom. If the point at which the fuel is sucked out is about the lowest point then surely over time the debris will clog this point regardless or could simply randomly get sucked in, right?