Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

amazing the difference a month makes

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by raven, May 18, 2009.

1. I've been out of action for over a month...have'nt even thrown a leg over the bike due to a neck injury.

Last week-end, I decided to suck it up and go for a short ride, even if just to reaqaint myself with being on the bike.

Off I went...and within about 5 mins realized just how much I was NOT in the game.
    While I appreciated that I would be a little rusty and it would take a little while to for my brain and bod to remember what to do, I was amazed at just how much of my "edge" I had lost, in just 4-5 weeks of not riding... :shock: :shock:
    Sure...I could sit there and manage to a reasonable degree, but no way was my brain at all prepared for anything other than a potter...and when I did open things up a few times, I quickly realized that I was WAY behind the bike, and had to pull my head in!

Edit By opening it up, I mean 2nd gear power mono at $1.40, after standing start kindof "opening it up".. :wink:

Any way...it seems to me, that it'll take me a few good weeks of solid riding to get myself back up to my own expected levels of control and focus....and I can't even start doing that yet...and THAT shits me to tears, quite frankly.

For you guys that only ride once in while or have regular periods btween rides, I'm buggered if I know how you manage to stay sharp!, let alone alive!...
    (erm...Or maybe you are'nt ever as sharp as you should be?) :wink:

2. :WStupid:

thats why i try not to work much, means i can ride much :p

til i run out of money for petrol/tyres :cry:
  3. Jeez this doesn't bode well for when I get back on after 7 months out of the saddle :(
  4. Sucks about the injury but in a weird way its nice to know that even a seasoned rider can feel that way.

Hope you are back to your best soon ;)
  5. More deceptive is the "commute" bunch, which can be worse than not riding. Having your brain being in neutral day in and day out just doing the office run can be a disaster, as you feel your fully up to task but usually lacking those "spidery senses" needed for fast track or paced road ridding.

Its always a good idea to run through some drills and handling refreshment before heading out on a technical ride.

Have seen many fall afoul of this.
  6. thats why i prefer a "fast track or paced road riding" styled commute. keeps me on my toes :p
  7. Yep, always the most technical route when on the bike. Make every trip worth while.
  8. pffft. takes too long. i always leave late. i just mean carving it up down the freeway/main roads :LOL:
  9. You'll be right Dougzie. :)...Just don't rush it mate.
    You'll be able to ride aok after 1/2 hr or so and your brain and body remember what they are supposed to be doing...but your cornering/balance etc will be wonky, so give that part of things some time.
    And if you hit the gas...it is likely that you'll leave your brain somewhere back behind you...it will eventually catch up to you, but for a few seconds you'll be without it. :)
    Ease into that territory, matey. :)

10. Anyone who commutes with their brain in neutral will be taking some sick leave very soon indeed.

Commuting is probably the riskiest activity you can undertake on a motorcycle, riding legally on public roads. it certainly requires high levels of concentration, anticipation and bike control skills, at least if the rider wishes to "make progress" rather than simply sit there as would be necessary in a car.

The skills required may be different from those necessary to getting a knee down through the twisties, but to suggest that the commuting ride offers no challenge and leads to complacency is (or should be) a furphy.
  11. I'm inclined to agree with both points of view actually, Pat.
    The commute "can" be an insidiouslt brain deadening thing if you don't try to keep yourself actively persueing progress, but for those that do (as you explained) it can be an enlivening experience, requiring alot of skill, aptitude and concentration.
    For those that choose to "ride" their bike as compared to blonking along with the traffic, you have to be skilled. :)

Similarly, the same can be said for twisties...get on the go and persue the corners and you'll be rewarded for the skill developement you've taken the time to invest in...cruise along unchallenged, and you can become dimwitted and lethargic. Ill prepared mentally.

Treat either realm as a bit of a challenge and it'll keep you on your toes.
    I always feel it's important to vary my riding approach within the different types of riding so that I don't become desensitized to whatever is going on around me, by doing the same thing for too long.
    It's very easy to get used to going hard, if you ride that way for a while, unless you ease it off now and again to keep things in perspective...and vice-versa.

12. Have I got the answer for you! Swap bikes with me. Not only will there be no chance of you being behind it even if you've got it on the throttle stop, you'll have no chance of doing a 2nd gear power mono let alone make it to $1.40 (unless you have a looooong straight) :LOL:

Heal up quickly mate.
  13. Having a lingering neck injury will most likely mean you don't have full use of your upper body too mate. I've gotten to the stage where i need to stretch and warm up the muscles before i even consider 'dropping in'.

BTW what exactly do you and your better half get up to in the wee hours of the morning that you get these injuries? :-s

Hope you're back to 100% soon, and dude, all it will take is one trackday to dial back in. :grin:
  14. :shock: Fark i've been out for about that long and i won't be back on for another couple of months!

I just can't afford to fix the damn thing! Although i gotta say, i'd rather time off the bike than time off work and uni. Or even permanent me damage!

As per usual, I'm one lucky bastard! :LOL:

Oh yeh and came off at $1.40 odd and no broken bones, and just $2500 worth of repairs on the one side! :LOL:

If i wasn't such a poor arse uni student i'd be laughing! :LOL:

Hell I am laughing! :LOL:

Do some wheelies for me John, I'm on the pushie till the pope says its payday!
  15. Sorry to say this mate...but I'm glad I'm not the only one..:))

ahahaha...we'd both be reeeally happy if that was the cause....ahahaha

16. hey john, sorry to hear about the neck, heal up quickly! Its true as I've realised that if I don't ride @ least once or twice a wk the edge/confidence I spend time developing dissipates & requires rebuilding!!

As for mono's, I have no experience here, yet i intend on wking this out on dirt bike - its nice & muddy out, so falling shouldn't b an issue :rofl:
  17. Gotta agree, just started riding again after 3 months off from riding every day. Feels like I'm a little newbie again and that everyones out to kill me :mad:
  18. Cant agree more, I try to keep riding more of a passion than a daily activity. Once something becomes too easy or boring, you lose focus and let your guard down...

Cant be good that the daily travel time is when every other vehicle is in a rush to get home as well...
  19. I used to commute everyday, I've never had a crash as a result of this. Brainfarts can happen but most can be trained out of you and you can avoid many too by not riding in circumstances that you know you shouldn't be i.e. tired, angry, sad, suicidal (definitely not in this case :LOL: ).

Also changing up your route helps alot. Keeps the mind on the go-go. and when you're arriving home or leaving home from a different road you don't go into complacency mode.

So yeh, i agree commuting can be among the more dangerous things to do but good roadcraft, a sharp mind and eyes like a hawk can well keep you from going tits up due to some other sods folly.