Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Amazing Mountain Lookout and the World's Largest Redgum Tree

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Andymcm, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Hi All,

Recently completed what seems to be an annual event these days when I take of with a mate on our R1200GS's in January.

One of the roads I wanted to show him was a route between Horsham and Casterton. It's a great alternative to the highways and tell me where else you can ride your bike to the top of a mountain lookout and visit the World's Biggest Redgum Tree all within 200k's.

I ended up doing a video review of the ride and landmarks with google maps, let me know what you think? LINK: RIDE REVIEW: Horsham To Casterton

How could I improve it?

It seems 99% of riders I talk to don't know about Mount Arapiles or more to the point, that you can ride your bike right to the top and only walk 50 meters to a brilliant lookout. This is a breeze even in bike gear and well worth the walk.

And on the same ride, detour to sit beside or hug if thats your inclination the World's Biggest Redgum. They reckon it was a seedling in 1200 AD so it is interesting to ponder what has gone on while in the quiet next to the tree.

I suggest you take the time to visit these great landmarks while in the Wimmerra area, they are an excellent bonuses to a great country route.

2. Any pics of the largest red gum??? You've got me all curious
  3. Hey Panthus, Just sent you a couple of photos by email.
    Not sure how to load them here. Should read up I guess.[/img]
  4. Thanks for that Andy. It is definately an awe inspiring tree. One day maybe i can give it a big hug too.