Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Amazing.... how your brain works

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Caz V1, Oct 9, 2007.

1. If your brain works.. this will be neat !
    This is another example of an amazing illusion!!! The last sentence is so true. Click the image to make full size then follow the instructions.

If your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot, the dots will remain only one color, pink.

However if you stare at the black ' + ' in the center, the moving dot turns to green.

Now, concentrate on the black ' + ' in the center of the picture. After a short period, all the pink dots will slowly disappear, and you will only see only a single green dot rotating.

It's amazing how our brain works. There really is no green dot, and the pink ones really don' t disappear.
    This should be proof enough, we don't always see what we think we see.

2. Heh, yeah, and if you get to the one green dot stage, blink, you'll have a circle of pink dots, and a circle of green dots for a second...

....at least, I did :p
  3. the pink dots dont disapear because of your blind spot. <thats an area in the eye that does not see. sometimes when a driver says 'he came from nowhere' is because of the blind spot. the surounding background covers the area.

cheers :cool:
  4. You sure it's not

5. Who/where mentions anything about a blind spot :roll:
  6. 2loo, i had another look and most of it disapeared rather than just a spot

blind spot is what i learnt in anatomy and physiology.

im not sure if there's a connection or not

cheers :cool:
  7. brain????????????? wots dat
  8. Jax, the spots DO actually disappear in succession. It's an animated .gif

The optical illusion is that we see a green dot remain while we look in only one spot, when there's actually no green dot at all if you look directly where it should be.
  9. That's cool :grin:
  10. Wow cool :eek:

Does anyone remember those magic eye books where u had to try and see a pattern beneath the picture or from a bunch of designs?

I loved them as a kid even if half the time i couldnt see the pattern :p :grin:
  11. 2loo wrote

yeah but im still not sure if it has anything to do with blind spot
  12. C'mon Stump, the reasonable response would be "Thanks 2loo, the quote explained it all. I learned something. Cheers.". It's ok to admit that what you thought you knew about the situation had nothing to do with it. It's OK.

That's a pretty groovy illusion. The green dot happily raced around while the purple dots phased in and out of my vision. I dug it... and I got the shadow on the back of the eyelids that Peahh saw. :cool:

I wonder whether with some calming words going on in the background, this little trick could end up hypnotising someone... :-k
  13. I'd like to try it after some weed :grin:
  14. Try this to see your eyes blind spot in action.

Sit about an arms length from the screen.
    Cover right eye with your hand.
    Focus on the circle with your left eye.

Now, slowly move closer to the screen whilst maintaining focus on the circle.

The star on the left will all of a sudden disappear. Theres your blind spot.

Can be done reversed to find it for your right eye. (cover left eye and look at the star!)

15. mmm just finished studying the eye in psychology, as far as i can gleam it has nothing to do with your blind spot but rather with the contrast thresholds in your eyes. your eyes keeps seeing pink dots blinking in succession, but brain interprets it as a negative of the pink colours circling the black cross. eventually pink dots disappear altogether as they are stationary.

it always gets me, your eyes are correctly seeing whats there, your brain is just interpreting it wrongly.
  16. That's craZy bambam_101 :shock: