Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Amazing Engineering

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Mr Flibble, Apr 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Put up your favourite examples of a major engineering project. Something a bit out of the ordinary...

I'll kick off with this:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Little different but this is a pretty crazy piece of engineering.

Bagger 288

Fun Facts:
    • The machine is 95 meters high and 215 meters long
    • Weight is 45,500 tons (that's equivalent to a bumper to bumper line of jeeps 80 miles long)
    • It took 5 years to design and manufacture at a cost of $100 million
    • Maximum digging speed is 10 meters per minute
    • Can move more than 76,000 cubic meters of coal, rock, and earth per day
    • Operation requires 16.56 megawatts of externally supplied electricity
    • Can travel at a maximum speed of 0.6km/h
    • Minimum turning radius of 100m
    • Took 3 weeks to do a 22km trip between mines in Germany, they did not dissasmble it for the trip. Picture below.
    Trencher2.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ok so this ones a bit out there, actually really far out ;) - would be awesome engineering but...

image.

Death Star

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Pretty big flaw in the design they need to fix though, I suggest someone take a hard look at the exhaust holes. A perfectly shot bullet could happen to go down them, destroying a reactor and causing a chain reaction resulting in the Death Star completely exploding. Unlikely, just a thought though :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Relies on your air force wing and fleet gunners being entirely incompetent and unable to shoot down a few magically talented rebel scum....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I see your Death Star (which is really a Death Moon) and raise you ...

starkiller.

... 'Starkiller Base' (aka 'We're Clearly Out Of Ideas So Here's A Death Star That's The Size Of A Planet')

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Hmm, what's more menacing than the Death Star..........I know, a really big blue Pac-Man

8. Pac-man? Interesting. I saw it more as a big blue Pokeball. (Although really, even if it attacked by opening up and launching a giant Pikachu, it'd still be better than anything in the prequels.)

9. On a smaller scale, I'm mesmerised by these kinetic sculptures:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. complication for no reason :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Falkirk wheel is a pretty awesome piece of engineering and ingenuity. Went on a cruise up down it a few years back. (y)

13. Impressive. Good oh&s though, none of those workers appear to be harnessed (hard to see), would think in Aus they'd have to be.

14.  Top
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. #17 Mr Flibble, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    OK, maybe not a major engineering project, but clever nonetheless...
    And it's not a fucking deathstar...

edit
    and the automatic version:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Yeah for me it's often the elegance of the solution that draws my attention rather than the scale.

Like this is one of my favourite videos:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Must be either a Honda or an Audi

19. China's unveils impressive suspension bridge

A suspension bridge that stretches more than 2kms across mountains and cloud in south-west China is set to open to traffic next month.

The Longjiang Grand Bridge, the longest and highest of its kind in Asia, spans across the Longijang River and measures 2438 metres across the valley. It connects two mountains and sits 280 metres above the river, People's Daily reports.

The $278 million project took more than five years to build and connects the cities of Baoshand and Tengchong.

After it passed a load test in early April it was given the green light to open to traffic on May 1.

However, it is not a world record breaker as the works longest suspension bridge is Japan's Pearl Bridge spanning nearly 4000 metres.

follow link for footage
    Read more at China's unveils impressive suspension bridge