Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Amazing Bike Save

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Shambles, Feb 5, 2006.

1. :shock: :shock: :shock:

fcuk me, thats pretty well done!
  2. fffwwaarrrqqqeeennnhhwwwelll!
  3. farrrrrrk meeeeee
    bet u had to change his undies after that hahahahhaa
    well saved
  4. Anyone want to take a punt on the track on which this phenomenonal save occurred?
  5. Its easy.....arms relaxed and looking forwards through the curve.....kidding!

That is one miracle save no doubt! wonder how well he went in the race?
  6. i bet he was cheering once he had a chance to change his pants :grin:
  7. That clip has been around for ages

Anyone know how old it is
  8. Well my guess at the track is Zandvort in Holland, and since that track hasn't been used at top level for years, I'm guessing the clip goes back to the 80s
  9. kewl.. tah..

I was thinking it was at least 10yrs.. turns out to be even older than that.
  10. Well, don't quote me there Kishy man, I did say I was guessing, but those sandhills in the background look awfully like Zandvoort to me. (Spelled it wrong the first time.....)
  11. :grin: :grin: np's.. i wont hold u 2 it :wink:
  12. Yep that sure is a nice one but I think it is fairer to say how did he manage to stay on rather than "save it" as such.

I have been reading a few highly technical motorcycle books:

Motorcycle Dynamics by Professor Vittore Cossalter
    Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design by Tony Foale

As supported by Cossalter's physical models the motorcycle basically wants to stay upright and go straight at that speed which is why each time it swerves from one side to another the centrifugal forges (both gyroscopic and particularly from the tyres) cause the bike to turn back the other way and go upright ... in situations like that apparently the best you can do is try and stay on and let the bike do what it is going to do (i.e. don’t try to force the handlebars you will only make it worse).

That said, amazing effort that he managed to hang on and get back on again because I believe most highsides throw the rider which is the actual cause of a crash. Of course in a low side once the bike has lost traction it is all over since the tyre forces are no longer acting to keep the bike straight and thus it goes out from under.

BTW Physics is not my area (only did a bit of undergrad uni stuff) so the Cossalter book was pretty heavy going for me but I spent 5 hours on public transport the other day so gave it a pretty good go! It is very interesting and I actually think I rode a bit better up at the Spur on the weekend for having read it and gained a better understanding of the (highly complex) vehicle dynamics. But if you like differential equations and are good with the summation of multiple forces and moments then you will love this book and get more out of it than I did :wink:

13. its great
  14. It's also on the Crash CD ;)
  15. It technically isn't a crash. His pit had called and said "we need to know the Id numbers on your front forks to get a back order filled....be a sport and go over and have a look.....see you back at the pits when you come past next"....so he did as he was told and went over and checked.
  16. pmsl :LOL:

He did it the hard way bc there was a crowd watching
    & wanted 2 show em how its done! :)