Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Amal tuning guides?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Ruder Intruder, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Anyone know where I can lay hands on some information about tuning Amal carburettors? Got a 650 BSA thunderbolt 68 thats running like a dog and I am getting frustrated with the old carb, I have threatened to replace it with a shiny Jap one but just cant bring myself to do it.

2. Probably need to go to a motoring book store. I had a quick look at the book depository and couldn't find anything.

I think Amals were renown for soft bores and once worn couldn't be tuned. They need to be sleeved with a bronze sleeve or similar.
  3. Buy a new Amal (ISTR at least later concentrics are still available new) or a get Mikuni. They're good carbs. MrsB's Amazing Brakeless Commando had a single gigantic Mik off some anonymous Japanese dirt bike and was reliable, tractable and fast as f*&k, so I'd recommend the conversion to anyone.
  4. Probably had more to do with the lack of brakes.
  5. Well, yeah, there was that..........

Didn't have much influence on my managing to rocket a prospective purchaser off the back when I gave it some though :twisted:. He still bought it though :D.
  6. so whats the problem with the a65 thunderbolt??? why do you think its carb ?? i had a 68 thunderbolt for 11 years , can you give more info whats the old tart is doing. is she still on points? has she got good compreshion? will she idle? is the advance springs in good order?? and the list go,s on and on ,i ride a 1969 tirumph trophy and she has a single amal like yours ,,with more info i can get you going in the right direction,,,,