Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Am I the only one to regret buying my 1st bike?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Biggie, Nov 8, 2015.

1. A few days ago I realised I had less than 72hrs to book my L's test or else I'd have to do my course all over again. Luckily I found a spot at the Liverpool RMS.

Walked in not knowing what to expect. 49/50 and it was a pass.

Now to buy a bike. I'm a cruiser type of bigger bloke and sports bikes while they appeal to me, I'd look like I was on a push bike with learners wheels.

So I looked online and fell in love with the Yamaha V Star 650 Custom. 2 calls later and I was handing over my overtime savings.

Bike was sitting at home for a good 2 days and all I could think of was WTF have I done? Are you crazy? I'm not made for bikes, how am I going to ride a bike, let a lone a 650!

Called a friend and asked him to come by. He took me to the shops and a helmet was purchased.

First seating...
    I better update my life insurance and super beneficiaries. Then a split second of courage and bang... On comes the helmet the key turns and I'm like quick lets do this before I change my mind. 2 minutes later and the training all comes back to me... All except the remembering to turn off my frigging blinker!

3 hours later I don't want to go home. I'm feeling like I'm 10 years younger, just with less hair and heavier.

Yes, you may doubt yourself at the start and you may question if you should have it shouldn't have but, just do it, go for that first ride and you'll never look back!

Can't wait for the sun to come up for my next ride!
    • Like Like x 29
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. No regrets BiggieBiggie ! Ever. Welcome to NR and ride safe. :D
  3. Thanks GoldenberriGoldenberri will do
  4. The adventure begins, welcome to Netrider and your new life on two wheels.
  5. It only gets better (and more expensive! Haha), my friend. Ride safe :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. welcome aboard BiggieBiggie :] congrats on the L's and the great choice of bike
  7. good onya BiggieBiggie (y) and welcome to NR.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. welcome to 2 wheels and Netrider Biggie! :happy:
  9. Welcome, mate! I felt the same way right after getting my 1st bike. Was so intimidated buy the weight and power of the bike(oh, CB250, the monstrous beast! :D) that I was barely able to bring myself to do some simple slow-speed practice in my apartment complex parking lot. :)
    • Funny Funny x 3
  10. My only regret was not buying mine earlier in life!

• Agree Agree x 9
  11. Sucked in! Enjoy it.
  12. If I am driving and I see a bike behind me I always move to the left of my lane to let the bike pass. Usually get a wave.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Weiner
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Oh, too funny. Damn, doesn't he look proud of it though! :LOL:
  16. Hey BiggieBiggie, welcome to the forums and life on two wheels! You've got the bug mate ;) No point regretting now! Great choice of a ride btw (y)
  17. hope yr not hanging s on a cb250. at the age of 59 never been on a bike. 5 months later got learners, bought a cb 250, got license, now done 3000km.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. you stayed almost a year on L's???? with three years of LAMS restrictions I was kicking myself for being lazy and doing an extra month on L's..

I regret my first bike - not immediately. it was a damn good bike to learn on as a very raw beginner who lacked confidence. but now? I wish I had something bigger.
  19. Nice one Biggie - get on and enjoy.
  20. Thanks for the warm welcome and nice words.

I have been an avid car enthusiast for a long time and thought the car scene was close knit, but the waves, nods, beeps, , and all other forms of communication between bikers is awesome. It's like they all look out for each other and are very welcoming.

Don't know why I didn't do this so many years ago!
    • Like Like x 6