Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Am i ready for a litre bike?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by cbwolf, Mar 26, 2009.

1. So, my restrictions are soon to expire and i am, of course looking at my next bike. I've got my heart set on either a K8 GSX-R1000 or a new 09 R1. However, i'm concerned at the safety aspect of riding such a powerful bike for a relatively inexperience rider.

I've been riding for approximately 18 months, starting on a CBR250RR, which got written off thanks to a clueless p plater turning in front of me, to be replaced with a Hyosung GT650RL. I then got the Hyosung de-restricted (same power as an SV650) and have been riding it that way for the past 6 months. I've done quite a lot of twisties, all up Yarra Glen, Chum Creek, Black Spure, GOR and am quite comfortable with them at a moderate speed - however am looking for more power from a bike.

Now i know that technically, anybody could ride a 5000cc bike as long as you control your right hand, but realistically, i'm nervous about buying a litre bike and want some insight on what they are like to live with day to day (i commute to work daily) and if it's going to get me into trouble.
  2. 650cc vtwin to 1000cc? No problem at all, you've stepped up gradually which is good. Granted I had zzr for 14 months and the SV for 12 so a bit more than you, but I'm a fairly cruisey rider.. Went to 929cc no problem. That may be because it was a honda and they all share the trait of being extremely easy to ride - user friendly.
  3. Depends if you think you can control yourself. 1000cc bikes are not difficult to ride if you respect the throttle.

As for a commuter, they definately aren't designed for that purpose but will do it without complaining, plus its always a thrill pulling away from traffic :cool:
  4. You sound like your sensible and have stepped up and have good experience. I don't think you'll have any problems at all.

Sometimes i commute on my gsxr750. No problems.
  5. says he who possibly could have been booked for speeding on the way to wollombi :eek:
  6. 650 twin to a 1000... Yeah, it's a jump, but nothing ridiculous IMO.

Give 'er a go.

But other than the bike, think about starting to invest in your riding skills as well (a riding school, track day, etc). You'll enjoy riding a lot more, whether it'd be on a 650 twin or a 1000 four.
  7. the million dolalr question....

why do you want a litre bike? a 600 or 750 will do the trick and i bet you wont ride them to their peak.

Not having a go at your decision but i just dont know why people bother (unless its for touring then i can understand bigger capacity)
  8. Oh and about commuting, yes they are a pain. In stop and start traffic peak hour traffic they kind of sucks, you can get used to it.. the best way to put it though is that you have to 'feather it' through traffic, not just the clutch - I mean in general.

If I had to commute to the city or more often in peak hour I'd definitely have a 250 as well, but I can get away with it, only going in 3 days and not in peak hour.. and no rain so far (thankyou genericskygod)
  9. Personally I think the 1000's are really forgiving and easy to ride bikes. Very linear power delivery. Having said that if you give it a fistful of throttle you will get exactly what you ask plus some.

I did the "responsible thing" and went from a 600 (ZX6r) to a thou (R1) and I absolutely love the thou as you dont need to keep it in the sweet spot of the rev range all the time plus carrying a pillion is effortless. If your going to spend heaps of time down the tracks then I reckon a 600/750 would be the perfect weapon.

Bear in mind the insurance and tyre wear should not be overlooked, you want power you need grip. Plus you will need to watch the speedo as its very easy to make a voluntary state tax contribution.

Just my 2c
  10. I also bet that 99.99% of riders cant get a 600/750 supersports to it peak either.

1000's are fun, that's about the only reason you need to own one, everything else is just sugar coating, sweet, power-wheeling sugar coating.

Ah yes, going through a $600 set of tyres in 2000kms is not particularly nice...
  11. Dude you may have noticed by now, but the throttle on motorbikes doesnt turn itself.

Also, they generally have a range of motion. Not just on/off.

The real question is, is the 1000cc bike ready for you??
  12. :p I may have strayed over the limit by say 10kmh at one point, but no more than that ;)
  13. the next best thing is for example i got a 95 honda cbr 1000F which is a nice step from a zzr250 so u could always buy one of the older 1000 and get used to something with no so much power (which is wat im doing i originally wanted a honda blackbird) then after say 6 to 12 months on that then u could up grade. But dont get me wrong with this 14 yr old bike is still capable of a fair speed
  14. Anyone with a level head and a bit of riding experience can get used to a bigger bike quite quickly I'd imagine so I wouldn't worry too much about not being ready. I'd be asking the question "do you really need a 1000" what will you get out of it that you wont get out of a 600 or 750?

I'm on restrictions and once off I intend to buy a newer bigger POS than my current one. That way I can thrash it without feeling bad and I can push myself and my ability knowing that if i drop the bike I wont have to pay a huge excess. I'll just pop into bunnings and get some electrical tape.

I will one day own a new shiny Ãœber fast 1000cc sports bike, but I'm going to wait till I have plenty of experience and cash to splash. I can't imagine myself needing a 1000cc over a nice 600 or 750 any time soon.
  15. YES - upgrade away....!! :twisted:

I went fr 600 to 1200cc and its pretty forgiving (cos its a cruiser)
  16. I went from 0cc to 1000cc (VTR1000) and did just fine. At the time the power was to much so i just didn't ride like a spastic, not really rocket science. Treat the bike with the respect it deserves and it will look after you.

For daily commuting, i love litre bikes and love a v-twin. You could get away with a 600 supersport but it's frustrating at times when you need power and it isn't there. My MV was ok in traffic but because it's more of a 'wind-on' powerup, that gap you see closes before you have the pace to get in. Perhaps i'm just being picky.

Mind you of the smaller bikes the Street Triple 675 would be an awesome town/city bike IMO. I'd commute daily on one of those no worries.

To use a 250cc for commuting in Sydney you are asking for trouble IMO. I ride my wife's RS125 sometimes and peak hour traffic it's stressful knowing you can't power out of a situation. My recent commute on a CB250 for 2 days was horrific. The only way to cope was to continually laugh like a crazy man as cars blew past.
  17. What POS have you been riding? :?
  18. As has been said, I don't think you'd be in a huge amount of danger. On the other hand, the bikes you have your heart set on are *really* not designed for commuting. You'll be head down, arse up, having the feather the throttle and clutch and fart about. I'd be inclined to go for something that's better suited to the riding you actually do, personally.

Yeah, the Street Triple would be a killer bike for what you want to do, and be a big enough leap in power, handling, brakes and suspension from the Hyo that'd it'd feel like a real upgrade even though the capacity numbers aren't that different.

Or get a Bandit. ;)
  19. The way I figure it, it's more a step then a jump up for you. Go for it!

The weapon of choice may be more of an issue for you though! As some have said, head-down-arse-up bikes are a real pain in traffic. You tend to lean on the wrists more due to much slower speeds, as the headwind isn't strong enough to push against your upper body. You'll get to work with limp wrists, aching neck and a sore back.

Not sure why people think you have to feather the clutch more on a litre toy though? The idea behind the 1000cc is the the gearbox doesn't need as much shifting to keep it in the usable range. The available power band is much larger and hence the bike will pull from low down! My Zed is happy to chug along from 1500rpm upwards. No clutch pulling till it gets right down low.

I would prefer a more upright bike for commuting for several reasons. One, they have more grunt down low, as they are not designed for huge top speeds due to their nakedness. This also helps with riding in slower traffic conditions. Mine only goes as high as 260 or so. Reckon that's fast enough though! :wink:
    The other reasons are, they tend to have more upright and slightly wider bars and are much easier to manoeuvre in tight spaces as you have better leverage on them. Another point is as you're more upright, your field of vision is much, much better and you are able to see over the cars around you.

There are many options out there, a 1200 bandit may just be too heavy and bulky though, same as a cb1200. The Street or Speed Triple are great though. In all conditions apart from tracks, a nekkid is just as quick and in traffic, quicker! :grin: It all comes down to riding in the end!

Another quick point to consider, nekkids tend not to have a lower fairing and this makes them better at going up and down gutters without scraping the bejesus out of them.

On hot days, the heat dispersion is much better and you won't overheat so much.

Insurance varies, but is cheaper from what I have heard as well.

In rain you do get a bit wetter, but at lower commuting speeds, that generally doesn't make much difference.

In hot conditions, you stay cooler.

Some options that I like for commuting are the FZ1, CB1000R, Speed Triple, Z1000 etc. There is a huge range. If you do want a fairing, look at the FZ1 with a bikini fairing!

Hope this helps,

Pooh :cool:
  20. Oh, and if you're like me and like to do 1000km days on country twisties, take it from an old man, upright is best! Many of my friends have changed from R1's and the like to naked's. We all prefer to spend full days in the saddle and feel good at the end of the day! :grin: