Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Am I not leaning off the bike enough??

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Sweeris, Nov 8, 2007.

1. I'm starting to look for advice again about cornering/leaning. At the moment I'm still practising what I learnt from the mentoring ride last month. I have also been keeping an eye on my tyres and cornering speed. Now I'm at the edge of tyre(very light chicken strip about 5mm). So I'm wondering if I'm not leaning of the bike enough so I can stand the bike up abit? Or did I get the whole thing wrong??

At the moment I'm leaning in towards the turn but I dont think it's enough. When I'm leaning in the center of my chest would almost be in line with my inside hand(From feeling).

(Sorry if I'm not making anysense - headach)
  2. Correct.

I kept scraping centrestand until I had more experience in body positioning. Then I started scraping again, so I relearnt leaning off and the problem was solved. Went through that cycle a few times, now I don't scrape unless I'm doing double the recommended, which is fine for me as thats a rarity.
  3. Sweeris, you've graduated!

By the way, 5mm is still quite a bit of lean left believe it or not.

One of the things I said on the mentor day is that this is phase one. The next step is to shift your body.

There are countless threads featuring body position... here is one more :LOL:

The rules are still the same: vision, steering input and throttle control, but now you need to set up your body about the time you're setting up your vision. (In time you can do this close to tipping in)

Basically you now smoothly need to shift your arse across one cheek so that the inside cheek is in the breeze, while leaning the upper body as you have been doing (dragging you body across using the vision cues). You will need to swing the knee out to avoid twisting your hips - see, it serves one of a few purposes... it's not entirely a poser thing. The ball of the foot needs to be on the peg to allow knee to swing out.

You should be locked onto the bike by virtue of feet on pegs, outside knee/thigh against bike, and arse on seat. Your grip on the handle bars should be enough to hold on, but you need loose elbows. Oh, in time you'll learn NOT to drag your body around using the handle bars... but that can be a bit hard on non sport type bikes. The handle bar weight shift tends to put a quick wobble into the front wheel... it can be avoided using your legs/knees against bike/tank...

I prefer to weight shift - it puts me in a better position to counter steer, but there comes a point where leaning off loses it's benefits - afterall, you still do need to control a bike!!

Here's some light reading for you:

Get yourself to an advanced riding course, "braking and cornering" by stay upright or HART oughta do it. You sound ready.

Well done. :)
  4. Yup I know 5mm is alot but it's quickly fading away...

I'm definately doing those but I dont think I'll be doing it anytime soon as I'm about to head overseas in about 4 weeks time and wont be back till Feb. I'm thinking of doing it then. I know there's alot more for me to learn and practice.

Oh and another question, to practice cornering can I just find a wide radius roundabout that has reasonable surface and quiet to practice on?(but it would just improve me on turning right :? )

(Going back to riding a scooter(135cc) would be abit strange)
  5. Well done sweeris, I have about 5mm strips left too. I have a question for you more experienced guys:

When I am hanging off the bike and leaning a lot my left boot which is under the gear shifter scrapes a lot, any advice to gain some clearance for my left boot?

6. Keep the ball of your foot on the peg and pointed straight ahead, and your done.
  7. It might sound stupid,,,, but have you tried moving you're boots back to the balls of your foot on the pegs.. It should stop you from scraping your foot on the ground....
  8. if you can afford it do some training. seeing how far someone else's bike can lean is much more fun. and the professionals pick up all your flaws.
  9. Sweeris and bluezx14 - :nail:
  10. Thanks for the tip guys, i don't know why I didn't realise that before!
  11. never seen you ride, could be stupid comment, occasionally however, people read too much in to things......

are you leaning your whole body, seen plenty of people, (myself included when "pretending"), leaning upper body alone, or ass alone, off the side of the bike. doesn't effectively shift your weight or grossly affect lean angle. (correct me if i'm wrong, i don't race, or go fast, or understand physics)
  12. double post oops.
  13. Lies and slander! :p

Go through a sweeper without leaning at all, then lean your torso into the corner and notice the bike become more upright. Makes a significant different. Thats my experience though, go try it for yourself and see if you agree.
  14. yeah, but if you're just shifting torso, you can put yourself off balance, and be leaning more, but cornering slower, like a kid leaning a bmx to the inside of his knee... i meant more in terms of leaning the majority of your body, so you still feel "gravity centered" or balanced or whatever, as opposed to concentrating too much on lean angle as opposed to the direction you're travelling..... you can hang off the side of a bike and still go in a straight line.

not arguing, i lack so much in experience it's not funny, just ensuring he concentrates on all aspects of cornering. similar to blokes in cars who fly in to corners thinking it's faster, as opposed to slow and correct entry, fast exit.

i'm assuming sweepers are called sweepers in relation to the feeling you get succesfully taking the corner. just thinking it'd be hard to rid chicken strips if you're picking the wrong line, using the wrong technique etc etc. could be one thing, could be both
  15. robsalv..I cannot fault your post. I know your are talking about smooth, racetrack like corners, but I would like to add one caveat.

I do NOT recommend shifting your butt off the bike on a rough road. It is very easy to become unseated...I know. :oops:
  16. Hehe I'm just being ass mate, I'm a slow rider and only been riding for a year, so I'm only speaking from a limited personal experience and reading, etc.
  17. me too, i just know i experimented with leaning out of curiousity and know that it's possible to shift your torso without effecting cornering much.

maybe at mean angles and high speeds prob would be diffferent
  18. Hey Sweeris - the best thing to do is head off to an advanced riding course such as what's already been recommended.

Second best thing to do..and I must say that this is speaking from my own experience (which isn't much but I've done 48000km since last October so have some idea on what I'm talking about) is to read/listen to everything recommended - hear all the different suggestions/thoughts etc - and then go out and ride ride ride. Try out the different techniques. Go at a slower than normal pace at first. Try roads that aren't so tight at first. Experiment. Practice. All at an easy pace. The more you do this, the more you'll find what works well for you.

Also, if you can, get hold of A twist of the wrist 2. An eye opener of a book. Totally recommend you get hold of a copy.

And lastly - are you getting through the corners at the moment? Safely? Are you comfortable with your cornering? If so, why the need to lean more? :)
  19. Ah GG, that's when lifting your butt OFF the seat so that your weight is double sprung and getting as loose as possible on the bars comes into play. That means you "get out of the way" of the bike and let it handle the bumps without YOUR inputs back into the bike from above.

The gembrook to launching place road, a lovely 30km stretch has some bloody bumpy corners where getting your arse off the seat is bloody important... if only to ensure one might be a dad one day... lol

+100 I Adore Vic! [​IMG]
  20. Actually GG, keeping the bike more upright on a bumpy corner allows the suspension to work at its most effective level. When it's leaned right over, smaller bumps in the road need larger suspension travel to deal with them and the forks and shock are more easily overwhelmed, causing loss of traction.

Hanging off can be at its most effective when the surface is dodgy - you make a good point though, hang on tight with your outside leg!