Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

am i mad???

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by crash_tester, Oct 5, 2006.

1. i have very limited riding (on road) experience
    but i think my fist bike will be a 06 gsxr 600 or 06 R6

i have the $$$$ saved up and dont realy want to go the 250cc >600cc then sell/trade the 250 route

i have ridden a friends cbr250 around a carpark many times and seem to have the slow turns ticked off the list (this weekend i will be test riding a friends cbr900 in the same carpark)

i have grown up around trail bikes and can ride them pretty well, i know this doesnt help much but i race minimoto's twice a month ( so i have balance :wink: )

i am booking myself into Qride in a few weeks to get my unrestriced P's (using their bike)

i wont be a squid either when riding ( i wear full leathers on the minimoto and will do the same on the big bike)

has anyone else jumped in feet first like im going to do, or am i kidding myself

oh and im aware the 2 bikes i have picked are fairly powerful but its all to do with the right wrist and i intend on lots of practice and training before i take to plundge and buy the bike

2. You're 30, with previous bike experience and hopefully mature enough to know either of these bikes can kill you in less than a second of lapsed concentration.

The Govt only just modified L & P plate drivers to non V8 and turbo cars in NSW, so the Govt think they know what is best for us yet Qld and NSW allow full size bikes to over 30's which I think is a great idea.

Good luck with the test rides and let us know how you get on

3. Probably a bit of a death wish buying a R6 for your first bike, not to mention you'll probably drop it/crash it soon. Being a shiny new bike and faired it's not going to be fun fixing it either.

Unless your extremely comfortable with the bike, I would stay away from it. Just get a cheapy for a bit.

4. i suggest just getting a reliable shit box on ebay to get your on road experience down pat before you go all out.

i have an 06 R6, and beleive me, it aint that easy sticking to the limits.

5. Bundy hasn't really got anything terribly challenging in the way of roads, and the nearest set of twisties at childers + paradise dam aren't terribly challenging either. So I guess taking it easy will be enough for ya.

Oh yeah, invest in some oggy knobbs when you get the new bike, will save a lot of headache when you do that dreaded first drop ;)

6. As toecutter said - just recognise what they can do.

Personally, ive got a 600RR, and a ZZR250 - still on restrictions. I take the RR out maybe twice a week and the only reason i dont ride it more-legalities.

The RR is MUCH MORE comfortable for me - it feels safer, im completely comfortable riding it and i can control my right wrist with ease (so far). So thats sweet.

I would suppose that your experience riding other bikes would easily be equivalent, if not more so, to my zzr riding. Youve got more years road experience than me and so you wouldnt have to worry about that.

I think you'd be fine.

7. depends what sort of rider u are? i just jumped on a 1000cc from a 250. still gettin used to it 3 months on and i have to ride it like a grandma mostly. its true what they say 250.. 600.. 900.. 1000 is best. but it certainly can be done. i think the word is respect and lots of it. the alternative being mess and speeding tickets

8. the bike wont leave the showroom without them :oops:

9. go the big bike. 250s have small crappy brakes. it's safer to be on a bigger bike as you may need to spit out of trouble or brake hard.

you are old enough to go for a ride without [wanking] showing off to someone you never met walking on the foot path.

10. Up your way I'd opt for something you can fang off road as well...

11. well i took the 900 for a ride and was s'prised how easy it was to ride :shock:

i couldnt do any slow u-turns due to very narrow road (+ i didnt trust myself, bike felt top heavy)

i practiced stopping and starting and found it very easy to do without getting and wobbles

i ran the bike up to 80k's then slowed down to 40 and weaved left-right,looking at where i wanted the bike to go and put it on the mark

being used to minimoto i found myself braking with only one finger on the fronts, this is something i will have to fix

i found using the indicators easy (and remembered to turn them off :cool: )

my biggest problem on the day was i kept trying to start the bike with the key, insted of the start button :oops:

bring on Q-ride and my new 600 :cool:

12. Yeah man you sound as if you have a level head about it and so long as you realise what the possible reactions are, and are therefore restrained, you should be fine. The big plus being that you have a decent amount of riding history..

I say go for gold.

13. Don't worry I can't do u turns either :) And bigger bikes are definetly top heavy, be careful, or you'll find it leaning just over that bit too much and over it'll go, and you'll pull your arms out of their sockets trying to stop it :shock:

Use more fingers on the brake, and more than two if you can - to see why put two fingers on the lever and squeeze really hard. you'll find that your other fingrs get in the way

turning indicators off is a pain, but something we have to try to be careful of in case we send the wrong signal to other users on the road

Funny thing about the start button is because i don't drive anymore, I find if I have to I find i turn the key a certain distance and then look for the start button.. only takes a millisecond to realise but I still feel silly :)

You'll be fine on a 600, they're actually easier to ride than a 250 due to not having to rev the ring out of it to get anywhere, and you don't get blown around as much on the road. You seem pretty sensible, go for it :)

have fun :)

14. Back in the old days you could ride anything you liked as a first bike. I know 600s then weren't as quick as they are now (nothing was as quick then as it is now), and I know the laws were brought in to 'ramp up' riders into the faster bikes, but apart from the odd idiots who would have wiped themselves out anyway, I don't remember many people doing themeselves a mischief.

You're over 30, with some road sense and maturity; go the bigger bike. And don't forget full comp insurance; them things are great thief targets!

15. not a problem at all if your DISCIPLINED. It's ruddy easy to kill yourself under power on a fzr250rrrrrr if you don't know how to turn yet, let alone something bigger. If you honestly think you can gradually work up to using the power, go for it, save yourself some cash.

16. hey crash tester, as others have said, if you can use self control you will be fine matey, they are not something to fear, they only go as fast as your right wrist ;) and with better brakes and suspension plus the power there to get you out of trouble if need be you should be fine, just go easy and dont rush nothing, get used to it ;)

17. Perhaps you should've spent more time on the 250?
    Nothing wrong with jumping from a 250 to a 1000.

Relating back to the OP's question, i don't think there's any problem with a mature age semi-experienced rider jumping onto a 600. As has been suggested, the equipment on one of the new sports bikes is far superior to that on an early '90s 250. I would question jumping onto a 1000cc bike with little or no road experience, but it's all up to the rider.

18. I guess the other thing is that in America and a lot of Europe there's basically no such thing as a 250 - everyone starts on 600s. So it's certainly doable, just requires sense, which you've clearly shown you have in your posts in the thread.

19. hey
    i sort of did the same thing .

ive been riding ever since my feet could reach the ground (i think i was 13). had been riding small little 150cc gutless bikes though all of em back in india till i turned 18 and moved here. when i finally decided to buy a bike, it was either a rgv250 or gsxr600. decided to go with the gsxr as it was more comfy and not as squirty as the rgv( which have the most number of road deaths till date among bikes). rode around for the first few weeks just trying to get a feel for it. now i can ride it comfortably , and as long as you are sensible about cracking your wrist youll be fine.
    youve got a lot more experience than me on the road plus a lot more riding experience too

you should be alright