Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

am i goin to lose my license?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by enzise, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

i got court doing 111 km/ph in an 80km/h zome and i recievend a leter in the mail today. at the time i was not wearing p plates because they had previously fallen off while riding. and i had not had the time to go to the rta to replace the plates. just wondering do u think i am goin to lose my license on my bike??? i have my green P's on my car.... does this mean i will lose both licenses. wat defense do u think i will have.. to my knowledge alll speed cameras in NSW have got 3 warning signs before them. wat do u think i should do.. and wat do you think my penaty will be. after reading the letter all i can understand is a $200+ fine it does not mention demerit points. should i have this mattter heard at court and say that the lane cove tunnel is new and i did not know the speed limit and was not aware of the speed limit and therfore am not responsible. I DONT KNOW WAT TO DO. i didnt have plates on cause they fell off and i was speeding.. wat is your advise??

2. Busted traveling at 31km/h over the limit.

Get used to walking, cycling or catching pubic transport.
  3. More than 30 km/h but not more than 45 km/h is $590 fine, and 4 demerit points. it is also a minimum 3 month suspension.
    if you elect to have it heard at court, the maximum fine can be handed to you which is $2200.

pleading ignorance to the speed limit is ridiculous, the default speed limit in NSW is now 50km/h unless posted otherwise. so if you didnt know the limit you should have been doing 50.
    basically you are going to be bent over and :nail:

one tip i can give you is, a court imposed licence suspension involves cancellation of your licence for the suspension period (they actually take it from you) and regardless of how much time you had left on your licence, you have to pay for it again, whereas the letter in the mail suspension just suspends you from driving for this period of time.

all info can be found here http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/penalties/speeding.html
    edit- and here is a quote from my local paper-

4. whereabouts in sydney was this.

i'm pretty sure they show no mercy towards P-platers.
  5. :WStupid:
  6. joelridescbr said:
    Just a slight correction....the default URBAN speed limit is 50kph.

Anyhow, let me see...hmmm....exceeding the speed limit by over 30 km/h....$590 fine and 4 demerit points & failing to display P plates...$179 fine and 2 demerit points.

This is from the RTA site:
    Going by that last bit, you are perilously close in demerit points to actually having an additional suspension. doh!
    Hope you've been a good little vegemite previously and haven't accumulated any other demerit points.

enzise said:
    It might pay to get someone else to read your letter....and if in fact you're only receiving a $200+ fine, then count your lucky stars.... cheers :?
  7. Remember as well, that in NSW the speed limit for P platers is 90kph. From their perspective, there is no reason you should have been going 111kph. My money's on you're screwed, sorry.
  8. Mate your license is only good for one of these now...

9. yeah ur screwed

4+2 u got one point left
    If u accumaluted any more points before or from now on ur gone for 6 months

I Got done 80 in a 60 zone im guna contest it and try and drag it out until i have my full license and will be able to cop the points on the chin. No letter as of yet so u might get off.
  10. although u could argue ur P plate was not visible from the angle the camera took.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.