Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Am I getting stitched up? Economics Check

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Grrila, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,

Well my little zeal has developed some problems that are beyond my expertise with a spanner.

What has happened is I dropped a whole heap of oil and fluid I could not identify all up my street. I'm talking a good trail leeding about 500m down to the main road! Anyway after I realised what happened I got a bike tow to pick her up and send her off to the mechanics.

Anyway the mechanic calls me up and explains to me what has happened. My fuel tank has got a lot of rust on the inside of it. It appears the bike has been sitting for quite sometime, which I don't doubt as the k's say 20,000km for a '99' bike. The rust and rubbish has made its way into the carbs causing the carbs to leak fuel into the engine. I thought this was surprising as I always keep the fuel tap off when the bike is stopped. The carbs have flooded the motor and the fuel has managed to seep its way around the pistons to the sump over filling the sump. So once the bike was running it was just ejecting all the excess fuel and oil out of the breather.

Now the costs I have been quoted.... The little zeal has 4 carbs to rebuild. So this is what I've been quoted on just parts BEFORE labour...

carb base o rings $140.00
    inlet manifolds $516.00
    needle seat kit $304.00
    throttle cables $120.00
    fuel tank clean and reseal (repainted after clean as paint gets
    damaged during cleaning)

What I don't understand is $785 to clean and spray a tank??? But in anycase I am off my LAMS now and I'm looking for a new bike. The zeal I bought for 2k about 6 months ago and it was a clean looking bike then but I've had one drop on it since then so it has a little ding on the tank and a nice scrape on the plastic under the rear seat.

Realistically I don't think its worth fixing. Should I just tell the mechanic to forget about it and just put her together and trade her in or even possibly just sell her off for parts? I have feeling that seeing it's been pulled down already I'll be charged for their time which I suspect will be anywhere between 500-700 for the strip down and put together.

Sooo what are everybodies thoughts? Get it fixed and sell it off for what I can or cut loses and see what I can get for it for parts or a trade. What do wreckers offer for bikes these days?
  2. Sell it to a mechanically minded bloke or shelia who has way more time than money!!
  3. I'm with Kernel. Most of those parts could be sourced much cheaper if someone was prepared to spend the time sourcing good used parts or new ones from overseas. I suspect there'd be quite a few Uni/TAFE students very interested in a cheap project.

Edit: Oh and just make sure you're upfront with buyers about the work that's needed. There's already enough people doing quick patch jobs and trying to sell it off as if there's nothing wrong with it.
  4. yes you are getting ripped off ,,,,
  5. Care to elaborate? Any help would be appreciated.
  6. Wow thats one wild story .

They say you should never let the truth get in the
    Way of a good story...
  7. Just because its an older bike you bought cheap doesnt make the parts cost any less. Parts prices have very little to do with the value of the bike, new or used.
    Sell it as a project, do some research on the value of one in similar but running condition, and go from there. You may be better off not getting it put back together.
    If they didnt suggest getting a second hand tank, id be inclined to take future bikes somewhere else.
  8. I've got a Zeal and the prices quoted sound about right. Was also going to suggest a second hand tank as an alternative.
  9. Tank rebuilds are stupid expensive. Radiators and tanks are among the most expensive parts of a bike to do anything to insofar as repair etc. See if you can source a second hand one?
    O rings seem a bit steep, but then ive got 10 million orings onboard here and we throw them around like they are nothing so i might be biased...
    Manifolds yeah older bike likely to be more expensive.
    Needle seat kit... $75 each doesnt seem unreasonable.

Labour is going to cost a fair bit. Just a strip and clean and tune of a twin carby cost me $400 with no parts used except one generic seal.
  10. carb base orings may be the shape of the bowl.. round ones may not fit..
  11. Fix it yourself or part it out. I'd part it out.
  12. The prices your mechanic has quoted are for genuine Yamaha parts. You need to find after market or second hand parts if you want the fix to be worth the money, and you'll probably need to do the work yourself. The problem with Zeals is that they are just damn difficult to find parts for - there's not much around in terms of after market. Hopefully there's a Zeal sitting in a wreckers nearby.

To give you an idea of the money that can be saved by not buying genuine parts: last year I bought a set of four "carb base o-rings" (ie float bowl gaskets?) for a CBR250RR for $25 from a local manufacturer after a bit of searching. Got a throttle cable for a ZZR for $20. Not sure what your mechanic means by "inlet manifolds" but if he really is talking about the rubber manifolds connecting the carb to the engine, then $516 is a joke. Chinese manifolds for a Hornet can be had for $40. I think a wreckers would charge you less that $100 for a set of second hand ones.

Does the Zeal share parts with any other bikes? Are its engine and carbs similar to the fzr250, for which parts can be found more easily? If so, then you can use that information to help track down parts. You probably won't find float bowl gaskets and other internal carb parts specifically for a Zeal, but the same parts might be used on ten other Yamaha bikes. See if you can get a parts book complete with part numbers, and then type the numbers into Google.

If that fails, and you do manage to find a Zeal in a wreckers, you'll be able to pick up a set of carbs for a lot less than the price your mechanic has quoted for replacing the parts listed.

Why does the mechanic want to replace the throttle cables? I take it that is unrelated to the problem you described.

Regarding the fuel tank, which is rusted inside. Why does your mechanic want to do anything to the outside of it? Google will show you that there are a lot of effective methods to remove rust from inside a petrol tank (and re-line it, if you want to do that), some of which are very cheap, and none of which will set you back eight fat ones.