Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Am I finally learning a lesson?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by fortstreetboy, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Good morning to everyone.

Well I have to fess that I dropped the bike again doing a slow right hand turn up a steep hill - the bike stalled during the turn and I couldnt hold it and it fell. Very embarrassing as there were witnesses.

Thinking back on my recent drops, they all seem to be when the handle bars are turned to the right...I guess it allows for sideways travel and I lose control of the weight shift then and cant hold it up. Once was in my driveway with the engine off, once was whilst doing a low speed U turn to the R, once was trying to stop and start on uneven ground up hill to the right, and once was on a very very steep driveway turning right. Wow. Makes me break out in a cold sweat just thinking about them.

I am wondering from others is this the most vulnerable position for falls and what else I can learn from it to stop it from happening again.

Things that I need to consider in future is to be very aware of weight shifts during R hand turns, to maybe not turn so sharply R, to maybe slightly lean the weight left of midline whilst turning R, and of course to warm up the engine before riding.

I would be grateful for any insights shared....
  2. Maybe you should only turn left!

As a noob I can't offer any real expertise other than suggesting you seek some tuition or mentoring from an experienced rider in your area.

I dropped my bike first time out, since then take extra care for slow manoeuvres.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Even if you've been riding for a while, it can't hurt to practice your slow speed manoeuvring as you would for licence tests, that way you can get comfortable with the weight shifts. It's also possible that misrouted cables could affect your throttle on slow speed right turns making it easier to stall
  4. keep the revs/throttle up, use back brake to keep speed in check, and slip the clutch if engine speed gets too low..
    that way you can just modulate speed with the rear brake and it won't stall as easily.
    more throttle also overcomes any small differences in cable tension due to routing
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Clutch slipping and 2000 or more revs for the few seconds it takes to do a uturn, especially uphill.

Ignored my own advice with fully laden FJR in Port Macq a while ago, how embarrassment that was.
    Lucky for crash bars, just a big beached whale with no damage.

ps. This is after 40 plus years on big bikes, so don't feel bad, it happens to nearly all of us.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. The bike will be steadier if you increase revs, only let the clutch out part way and drag the rear brake, the engine is working against the brake, but this steadies the bike. Find a flat open area (school, shopping centre or sports ground car park) and practice both left and right turns. Turns on slopes are amongst the most difficult manoeuvres, and stalling the bike will compound the difficulty.
    Start with wide turns, do figure 8s, and go out to practice lots as it will take a while to feel even a little comfortable.
    Looks like we are saying similar things above.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. I remember when I first started learning back in February and got some advice from Uncle Greg and others on the forum about riding the clutch, I started learning that and it really changed my riding and gave me the confidence not to stall once you learn the friction points just give it plenty of revs while riding the clutch so you don't stall the engine this should allow you to keep control of the speed using the clutch and maintain your momentum.
  8. A lot depends on the technique you use. You have to practice clutch/throttle/rear brake skill in slow speed. You also have to make sure that you always look where you want to go and counter balancing of the motorcycle with your body. here is HART video from youtube that I just googled. seems to explain pretty well low speed riding.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. There is nothing special about dropping right over left. A bike will tip when the bars are turned and if you aren't carrying sufficient speed to carry it at a lean it will drop.

At low speed if you use your front brake with wheels turned it is going to tip quickly. As said above at walking pace you should be using more revs than idle (about whatever revs you would need to take off) and control speed by combinations of slipping clutch and rear brake.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. #10 Oldmaid, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Hugs fortstreetboyfortstreetboy :)
    Practice practice practice
    I am very much a riding novice but have gained experience in the dropping department!
    Don't grab the front brake hard if you feel yourself going south -just exacerbates it all and don't look down as that is exactly where you will end up.
    The vast majority of us will have had a little lie down with our bikes at some stage. I see it as a right of passage ;)
    First thing I did when I took Zeddee out for a proper ride, was go down to the local netball courts and practice slow riding and turns on him. Did that for about 20 mins.
    Then when I found myself on the Putty road running out of riding time, and given the lack of suitable turning areas I needed to execute a quite a tight quick u-turn. I thought mmmm this might get real interesting but I just looked where I needed to be going and slow rode my u turn surprisingly well. Yay team.
    I really was stunned I didn't fck it up spectacularly and drop Zeddee so I guess practicing looking where you want to go and slow riding paid off.
    You'll get there.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. At least it is only a 125cc bike. A different story with a big bike...they are heavy!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I know this sounds mean, but I couldn't help laughing. Just sounded like Homer Simpson: Brrrrm...ooops.....brrrm..... oops......brrrrm...... oops..........
    ( reminds me of someone I know 45 years ago....:sour:)
    I saw that all the good guys were giving you good advice already; so I thought I might indulge in a mischievous comment. I am sure the time will come very soon, when you will think back and have a good laugh about it yourself.:]
    It's like horse riding, when you fall of.................
    • Like Like x 2
  13. don't land on your head?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. take the horse to the knackery?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. #15 tigamica350, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Mate, If your dropping the bike your going too slow. What I mean is that momentum is your friend........ I know it's a confidence thing and you would think that your doing the right thing by going slower, but in actual fact you need to be going faster (not much) and use the natural tendency of the rotation of the wheels to keep you upright. Keep practising on the whole clutch back brake thing, you get it right in the end. At the end of the day we all learn something every day when we ride and the day we don't we get complacent and learn about pain......LOL8-|
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Big empty carpark lots and lots of practice most of us do it :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. In the northern hemisphere you would fall to the left. Seriously though, take the advice above, and chin up for heaven's sake.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Higher revs means more gyroscopic forces from the engine's rotating mass, rear brake only helps it isn't critical.
  19. Gyroscopic forces from higher engine rpm? That phenomena is just people grabbing the throttle as they fall off, not a deliberate attempt to stay upright!

U turns
    - Use 2nd or 3rd gear (1st gear is to choppy)
    - Maintain a constant rpm which is on the lower end of the powerband
    -Check the coast is clear then turn your head to where you want to end up
    -Modulate the clutch to control speed, not throttle
    -Lightly drag back brake for more control or to stop
    -Never grab the front brake or look down in a U-turn!

Don't over-think it, weight distribution in a u-turn is not as important as it seems....you will compensate naturally as you perform the turn as with the handle bar position.
    Confidence, smoothness and power is key
    • Like Like x 2
  20. U-turns are a different beast again and I didn't think they were under discussion but for what it is worth at the speed most learners do a U-turn, they would be struggling to use 2nd gear let alone 3rd. You would need a bit of speed up or one hell of a lot of revs to use 3rd. I use 1st,

As for never looking down, that is definitely the way I do it, but a cop turn up to Sat Practice one morn and was showing off his skills and I noticed when he did a U-turn he looked down to an imaginary point to his right and then turned around it. Not the way I do it, but he could certainly ride and U-turned like a boss.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1