Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by habibi, Nov 11, 2007.

1. I'm currently just over 2 months into getting my new bike and I go for my P's soon..
    The problem is that my brother just got his license too and I've been trying to go riding with him to get his confidence up. It's been very frustrating and I feel like I'm endangering myself for his sake.

He won't stop looking down at his speedo which makes him take forever to get up to speed, making me have to keep looking behind me to make sure he's still there and ok or didn't stall at the lights etc.. He's also either riding very far, sometimes 50-100 meters away, or very very close when I tell him to stay near me.

I am not speeding, albeit i'm getting up to the speed limit as quickly as I can, something which he has yet to learn to do.

I've asked him to go riding by himself in traffic to learn how to keep a safe distance in traffic so we don't have these problems.

What to you guy's think? Am I being unreasonable/impatient, or should he balls up and go round the block a few times till he's got confidence on his bike.
  2. yes, you are being impatient.
    he may need to balls up, but it will be for the better if you let him blls up at his own pace.
  3. spose we better hit the tarmac then :)
  4. have you spoken aboutthe issues ?

you cant push learners too much, you can advise and help but they need to do shit in their own time and you need to advise accordingly and give reasons why , this way they can understand
  5. I know that the first time I rode on the road, i did not get over 40kph.
    When I got back to my mates place he told me that...

I then went around the block by myself, got it up to 70kph quick smart..

If you live in a quite street, try getting him to practice going around the block and decreasing the time sensibly of course... till he know what 60 kph feels like.. :)

That was just my experience...
  6. One point I would like to make is that you need to keep telling him to look up. I had the same problem during my pre-Learner's course. Obviously it's a habit that can be extremely dangerous on the road.
  7. Everyone learns differently. Take him into the back streets where there is not to much traffic and build his confidence up first. This will make it a lot easier for him to learn and not feel panicked. Instead of riding in front of him, ride behind him. Then he is able to set the pace and you can keep the traffice at bay.

Don't forget to practice the slow speed stuff in a desearted car park, this will help with his throttle control and smoother take offs.

With time his speed will improve but he has to do it at his own pace.
  8. Probably best for you to follow him. Let them set the pace, and you can protect them from impatient tailgaters.
  9. Habibi. Reverse the roles. What would YOU want HIM to do???
  10. Jared is right here.

Let him not feel stressed seeing you vanish into the distance, that way you are also not looking behind you/stopping all the time. He will soon get up to speed.

I remember taking you for your first run........... :roll:
    Maybe we can all go together for a ride sometime if you like.
  11. I did a day at Q Ride before my husband took me out, so I knew what was expected, was a bit more confident. Then I followed him on back streets that I drive everyday in the car, so I was familiar with the road, just using a different type of vehicle.

My husband also let me choose which roads we would ride, so I had some control over where we were going, he just showed me the best line to follow.

Tell your brother it takes confidence and time to learn to ride, and maybe ask if someone else could take him out, that might make a difference.
  12. Yeah, definetly agree. My bro got his L's a few months ago, so I've been going out on rides with him as well. To begin with I always rode behind him, even if he was going alot slower than I was used to. It means being patient, but is good cos,
    - he doesnt have to worry about following and keeping up with anyone and can move at his own pace,
    - you can go tailgunner and protect him from impatient cagers,
    - you can watch his riding style and give him feedback and suggestions if he asks,
    - and if he has an off, you know straight away and can help.

you are only a learner yourself and it takes a good 3 months to get into the swing of things [which, you should be at yet. you may think you are, but ya brother wouldnt worry you if you were]

do you play guitar? that's a good 3 months too. OK!! now you know what im talking about.

it does suck being a learner and getting past the 'im new to this' faze to the 'im flipping it about like a pancake' faze does require ALONE TIME!!!

let your brother know you're not experienced enough to cope with another learner right next to you and it sure as hell is A BAD IDEA MAN [stump thinks back to her early days] yeah, a bad idea

but what's with all the boundary issues eh???

does this brother of yours touch noses when he speaks to you?

if he doesnt have the boundaries of a retard in normal social situations, then you definately need to go it alone until you can swing it with confidence ya self so you can cope with you AND ya brother

it sounds like he's really annoying to ride with and this is causing you stress. most of this stress seems to be because you are the one behind.

at the very least [if ya wanna give it a shot, without hurting his feelings, cause this may actually work quite well]

you be the rider in front and that's final! that way, he wont disappear or crowd ya space. be sure to tell him that he is respinsible for collision when behind

keep an eye on him, but no more than any other rider behind you [which is quite a bit]

best o luck & cheers :cool:
  14. umm.. ok.. thanks :)
  15. I can relate to your bro, as I just go my L's about 3 weeks ago. When I brought my bike I did't even ride it home I got the guy to tow it to my work. See where I work there is alot of open roads and after hours there is hardly any cars there. I would slowly ride my around the box, before and after work for about 2-4 days clocking up about ahour each day. My boss was pretty cool as he would let me kept my bike there until I felt I was able to ride it home. Somepeople would understand and encourage me others where like "why don't you just ride it home?", "Why buy it if your not going to ride it?". I really didn't care for those people. It my life on the line. I remember that I couldn't even ride down the little hill in front of the warehouse, now :LOL: :LOL:. I think L's will learn in their time and space so just give hime sometime and don't yell as him just encouage him and give him tips at time.
  16. yeah I get what you mean, I rode around the block for a week after I got mine till i got the confidence to do the 10 min ride to work and gradually stepped up from there.. I know how Tweet and Dan Chee felt when I went on my first ride with them.. I must have given them the shits..
  17. When i got my L's, the best advice i was given was from my best mate who i have known for 35 years, and he has ridden for 12 years..

He told me not to get to carried away and just ride around the local streets until i felt 100% comfortable.. At first i thought no way, thats crazy. But i know if i had of gone out on the hwy from where i lived straight up, i would have been a risk.. It takes time and some people take longer then others. He will get there, and i think he should go out on his own around the local streets and you go do your own thing.. He will get more confidence on his own, rather than thinking he has to try and be at your level.. HE will know when he is ready to ride with you..
  18. Stump, you have confused everything I think, either that or the drugs have kicked in..
  19. Thank goodness someone else said it :beer:
  20. maybe mine have too....
    that there, is as spot on as it gets. when i first read the OP i was thinking of how to put wot she said in a nice way myself....
    the rest, well, yeah prolly *shrug*