Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Am i allowed to cover my rego with my L plate?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jdimitri, May 8, 2008.

1. The previous owner handed me the bike with the rego under the L plate below the number plate

Is this alright? I can probably move the rego to the side of the bike but i need to find a pretty big screw

2. Yes, by all means cover the rego lable. Better that you go one step further and break out the masking tape and cover it all. No one will care, you'll be fine.

Left glove first.

3. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though, I think he is just talking about the 'L' plate covering the rego sticker, not the rego plate. I hope he is, otherwise you can give him the left glove first, then the right, then maybe the left again.

Short answer is, move the rego label to the side of your bike so it's in plain view. Don't give the Lice any excuse to ping you. if you come across a grumpy one, then you're sure to get that big screw right where you don't want it.

4. Get yourself a rego holder

Mine went from this
    [​IMG]

to this

PqN1qqr.

5. yeah I have mine mounted by one of the screws for the chain guard. Keep the tail tidy tidy!

I don't know if this is true but I knew someone who left their rego sticker in their boot. Don't think it's legal but they never got asked about it.
    I guess apart from that as long as it's in plain view it's fine, doesn't have to be on the back tho...

maybe?

6. And in NSW, you would now qualify for a fine for that tubular rego label holder..

7. When I picked up my new T a few weeks ago now, they just put the rego label under the seat.

However, I'm liking the idea of the tubular rego holder and then stick under the number plate surround.

Now all I need to do is get a number plate surround. :wink:

8. Thats the easy bit.

You doing the western ride? If you order and pay for it online I'll bring it with me.

9. Please explain, as I'm sure Victoria will follow suit, since it would be pointless but raise revenue.

Currently in Victoria (to paraphrase) it is only required that certain information on the label be legible, with the label mounted in the correct spot, so as not to risk injury to anyone reading it. What has happened in NSW, and why?

OP: The above requirements would probably mean that a flexible L Plate covering the rego label would meet the letter of the law, but I wouldn't want to test it with a grumpy Policeman. Move your label to the left side of the bike.

10. if that can't see it they aren't about to lift the L plate to check, there are fines for not displaying a current rego label

11. Hmm, please explain Tweet, I was under the impression that it was fine providing it was mounted at the rear of the bike next to the number plate. Bike stores here sell them, I am sure they would not if they were illegal.

I have just recently fitted one, the whole sticker is completely readable.

Adam

12. yeh tons of bikes in NSW have them

if they are illegal i would be surprised!

13. From what i know of, the rego label DOES NOT have to be visible, it just has to be ON THE BIKE somewhere. I keep mine in a rego case under the seat.

Im pretty sure of this, but if im wrong and someone has reference to the rules can you please show me...

14. in nsw the label must be visable and can only be mounted on the rear or left hand side.correct me if im wrong.
    on the other hand im thinking of mounting the label holder an the mirror stay bar just infront of the tank...see what happens..

15. new favorite word hey :LOL:

16. Yeah, I learnded about it at skool :p

17. Tonnes of bikes in NSW have illegal (too loud) exhausts too, doesn't change the laws.