Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Always wear a helmet!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by boro_baba, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Hey guys Dont know if this has been posted here or not but thought it would strick some intrest.

2. All I can say is... ouch..
  3. You know how when you see someone on TV get kicked in the balls, you instinctively recoil and clamp your knees together (if you're a dude) in sympathetic pain?

Right know I'm writhing in my seat holding my face and thanking christ I've never ridden without a helmet.

Ouch. Just ouch.
  4. Faark :shock:
    Not only am I not riding without a helmet, but I'll definitely by sticking with full-face as well.
  5. holy crap.. he is one lucky man!
    atgatttttttttt :cool:
  6. In paramedic circles, open faced helmets are known as half-face helmets and for very good reason.

Full face only for me....
  7. +1 to all the above!
  8. #8 Tomcatalex, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  9. This aint a laughin matter you goose!!!
  10. fark that's crazy :-O

never ever ever ever ever riding without a helmet..... I broke my cheek playing Ice Hockey with some friends at a mates bucks party..... Day before the wedding (with me being in the wedding party too)

so wont be playing Ice Hockey without a helmet again either.... Think I should have one on full time :p
  11. Yes, nasty.

But you could (and many people do) suffer equally horrific injuries by tripping on a rug and smacking your face on a table, taking a tumble down a short flight of stairs or spilling the wrong person's drink in half the pubs I've ever drunk in :wink: . Sometimes, shit just happens. Are we to understand that a full face helmet is vitally important in all these situations as well?

I don't deny that a full face lid would (probably) have saved this guy some pain. I don't deny that wearing a good lid is a pretty good idea. But once again there is a danger of extrapolating from one incident to assess a level of risk which is in addition to the already quite high level of risk to which even ATGATT riders subject themselves when slinging a leg over a motorcycle and riding it on public roads (or anywhere else).

Perspective and realistic risk assessment people.
  12. i once heard someone say riding a bike without a helmet or open face is darwinism at its best.

i do feel for the guy and applaud him for trying to educate others.

now if britney came off then it would be another matter
  13. Darwin may have some difficulty in explaining how both my grandfathers did all their riding (which was a lot) with nothing more than a reversed flat cap or a shinily brylcreemed short back and sides between their heads and the elements, accompanied by my respective grandmothers, sporting a similar level of cranial protection, and somehow survived to produce my parents.

My father then proceeded to ride for a decade, also favouring the reversed flat cap for most of that time, only purchasing of a Corker (open face of course) following a crash in the mid 50s, in which he managed to avoid any head or facial injury despite the perceived inevitability of head first contact with the tarmac (yes Joel, in this particular case, it was tarmac :grin: ).

In spite of this positively suicidal behaviour (which, incidentally, was the norm amongst road riders from the birth of the motorcycle until at least 1960 and possibly later), he still managed to survive for long enough to sire the small PatB, who grew up to find that he enjoyed the occasional wind in the hair experience and favoured an open face lid for much of his riding career, and who has also managed to remain sufficiently intact to reproduce.

The above is not presented as an argument in favour of non-helmet or non-full face wearing. Just to emphasise the fact that a single case is conclusive proof of nothing. The original account is certainly unpleasant. I've spent the last few hours with my jaw clamped firmly shut in response. But in return I can point to three cases where non-wearers suffered no injuries as a result and survived to die in their own beds of completely unrelated causes. As I'm not dead of anything yet, I do not consider the experiment to be over :grin: . My forebears' experience is equally lacking in validity as proof of anything much.

Just to drive the point home, change the Darwinism reference to refer to riding a motorcycle in general and it still fits, considering that a motorcyclist is several (exact number open to dispute but not less than seven according to any estimate I've seen, and possibly much more) times more likely to suffer death or serious injury than a car driver, ATGATT or not.

Like I said, sensible risk management and perspective.
  14. And a lot of people survived the second world war - but that doesn't mean a military uniform provides protection from heavy machine gun fire ;).
  15. PatB i've edited your post just for brevity for my response but completely agree with all you've said.

But, in those days it was the done thing and your relatives may have adjusted their riding accordingly. and as we progress into the 21st century we are continually updating/improving our safety.....remember seat belts were once an innovation too. maybe in 50 years we will have force shields but into our clothes to protect us in case of coming off. i'm still waiting for those cool akira bikes to appear on the scene

i had a serious come off in front of some friends and they thought i was dead. i slid 40 feet in gravel and landed on my head when coming off. i know the full face helmet and full leathers were the right thing to be wearing and continue to wear them today. all it did was dent my pride and bike.

for such a high risk activity ( either by your own fault or someone elses ) why not improve your chances and wear the gear? in the states they have those stupid helmet laws. then again you can buy quite a guns legally too
  16. It's OK chaps. I'm not for one moment arguing that anyone should ride anything other than ATGATT. I certainly make no claims that not wearing gear will somehow magically lead to a better outcome than wearing it (and I've gritted my teeth often enough when I've heard such arguments 'cos I'll happily admit that most are bollocks).

But, having done some formal risk management, it's important to recognise that the probability of death or serious injury in a bike crash is composed of two elements, the likelihood of the crash occuring (the risk) and the consequences stemming from it (the hazard). It is perfectly possible for two completely different sets of circumstances to offer similar probabilities of death and serious injury.

An ATGATT rider commuting in heavy, rush hour traffic on a dark, wet Friday evening is exposed to considerable risk of suffering a crash, but, thanks to Mr Arai, and a good covering of temperfoam and leather and lowish speeds, an off will most probably not result in serious injury or death (if he's lucky) so the hazard is fairly low.

Conversely, a rider on an open, well surfaced road at dawn on a dry summer Sunday morning is at very low risk of suffering a crash. However, because of the nice weather, he's wearing boots, jeans, an old, unarmoured leather jacket, fingerless gloves and has nothing but a pair of (impact rated) sunnies on his head. If he does come off at speed, he'll be lucky to survive, let alone walk away so the hazard is high.

But, because of the manner in which risk and hazard combine, it's quite feasible that our two riders are overall, at equal (or at least comparable)risk of death or serious injury.

And, finally getting to my point (I think :? ), many riders who consider the first scenario to be a perfectly acceptable part of biking, would lambast the rider in the second scenario for his irresponsibility, stupid being one of the milder epithets that is commonly used, both here on Netrider and elsewhere.

If you follow the "must reduce risk to the minimum at all costs" to it's logical conclusion, bye-bye biking. Or any other form of powered personal transport for that matter.
  17. I'm off to Maxillo-Facial myself tomorrow morning for a bit of straightening out. My eye socket and cheek bone on the left side are both pushed back into my face about 10mm, I see double when I look up and to the left, and have been coughing up blood for the last week. The crash was a simple front lockup at about 70 or 80 and I hit my head on a flat surface. No massive highside and I didn't hit a stationary object. This was with a high-end full face helmet.

Makes me wonder about all the times I've been hooning around out in the bush chasing cattle in long grass with no helmet on, especially if there were other factors like coming down on a fallen log, or in the case of street riding, hitting a gutter, sign post or car. Potentially some seriously caved in skull, loss of eye/s, disfigurement.

True, a helmet is worth a thought.
  18. good luck devotard. hope it goes well.

can i ask was it the movement of the helmet that caused this? i didn't even think something like that could happen. i guess i feel bulletproof with a fullface on, even though thats clearly not the case.
  19. Cheers. I did the exact same crash last year and face planted perfectly square on with the ground, no head injuries. I've had others where I've smacked my head on the side/back/diagonal-back, no head injuries. This time I went down on the diagonal, impacted the helmet forward of my temple. Just too much pressure on weak bones I think, maybe the helmet moved... not sure.
  20. umm

aren't we all in australia where its illegal to not wear a helmet. anyone with an ounce of intellect knows that if you hit your head on the road without a helmet at any speed you're in trouble, and if you hit your face (less likely) wearing an open face helmet you will be alot uglier.

if you value your face and are careful enough to wear a full face helmet good work. i'd love to wear an open helmet but wouldn't want to tarnish my good looks.