Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Always Still learning

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by infinityx, Dec 25, 2011.

1. So this is entirely due to my inexperience: P

I was taking a route i always do yesterday, the lights are green and i thought i could make it, it turned yellow and i decided to go through instead of stopping...

I got into the turn and noticed the road wasn’t normal (a little uneven like it’s been recently resurfaced). Now there weren’t any loose pebbles or anything but I lost all confidence in my turn and I did four mistakes I can think of:

1. Too fast into the turn
    2. Let go of the throttle
    3. No longer looking into the turn and instead I was looking at the footpath
    3. I think I was applying some brake

End result, I was riding towards the footpath.

Luckily in the last few seconds I regained my composer and changed my focus to the road. Ended up missing the kerb by an arm’s length but embarrassed as hell :p

I am glad for this experience turning out ok, I learned some major things to not do in the future....

Has anyone ever gone into a turn only to realise the road isn’t as great as your thought? What would you normally do?

PS: just 200meter down the road past the corner was a cop car targeting speeders :p my luck bucket was depleting very fast yesterday :p time to increase my experience bucket :)
  2. Experience +1

Great job regaining composure. Stay safe this holiday.
  3. If you're gonna try to make lights then brake hard before the turn and go a speed that's manageable. My golden safety rule is "don't assume" which means don't assume you can take a corner @ x speed. Stick with what you know not what you think.
  4. So what did you learn from it, and how will you prevent it from happening next time, considering your SR's took over.?
  5. He answered his own question in posting, seeming as he doesn't appear to be answering here, my stab at what he should do,
    (1) On the road leave something in the bank for the unexpected, every corner could have a pothole, car, gravel, tightening radius so have a bit oif wriggle room
    (2) Don't target fixate, look at where you want to go not where you don't want to and you should go there
    oh and panic braking in the corner made your turn a lot harder it stands the bike up and doesn't want to turn
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The only thing you should assume is that someting will not be as you assume it to be. Give yourself an 'out' always. It looks like you did this, but riding within your abilities means when something unexpected happens you have an opportunity to respond.

I do a lot of country riding and many roads have unexpected gravel, or worse, corrugations, on the bends and around the corners. Where it goes from bitumen to gravel is also a common problem. Ride a bit slower than you can and you allow for these changes in surface.
  7. Yep agree with everything you guys are saying :) it was a good learning experiance.

1) "unexpected, every corner could have a pothole, car, gravel, tightening radius so have a bit oif wriggle room" - Yep i think this even applies to roads you always travel. Normally for new roads i always do this, but my mistake was assuming the roads i always travel will have the same condition. Big no no...like everyone here said "dont assume" ... Golden rule to prevent crashes. If i apply it to car driver why not the road :)

2) "Don't target fixate" - Yep again i started to look at the footpath instead of into the turn. I normally dont target fixate until this incident just goes to show there are always situations (e.g. panic mode) where you do things you normally dont do. one way to mitigate this would be to ride to my abilities so you arent put into that situation like middo said. :p

8. Very good to see you all thinking and coming up with the right answers.

One word of warning. As your experience and skill level improves, these "SR's" (survival Reactions) become less prevalent. BUT, they never completely disappear. Well done, for analysing what happened, and especially for accepting the real truth. Kudos to you :)

We can't pre-empt everything nor cover for everything that could happen or go wrong. So unless you actual know what's around a corner or can see through it, we have to ride with a little bit up our sleeves.
    That's no guarantee that we won't crash, but it gives us time to react, and as a result, even if we do crash, that time allows us to reduce any damage. That can be anything from making it through unscathed, to just being seriously injured instead of - dead!

This is starting to get into the skill of "risk management", but that's a subject for another day.