Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Always check your tyre valves

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by smee, Mar 20, 2014.

  1. Last Friday I topped up the air in my tyres and thought the rear valve looked a touch aged but since I'm due for a new tyre it held up well so didn't think much more about it.
    Today I suited up as normal and went to take off, but bike was sluggish and nearly threw me off in the driveway.
    I took off slowly up the street got 20 metres and it felt all wrong. Yep flat rear tyre.
    So after a 15 point turn, carefuly rode it back into the garage. The valve has shit itself!
    Luckily it was already flat and out of air and it didn't shit itself mid ride. Reason I didn't notice is I have it on the centre stand.
    Now I have to get a new tyre but can't ride it there so I was wondering if you can insert a new valve from the outside or does it have to be pulled through from the inside? Luckily the bike is a shaftie so if not I'll remove the wheel and take it to my guy for a new tyre AND a new valve.
    So check your valves folks

  2. Smee, I'm not sure, but valves on car tyres usually unscrew from the outside and can be replaced really easily. Can't see why bikes are any different. You need a fiddly little tool that actually comes as part of some valve caps. I'm not sure I can describe it; it basically has two prongs and slides into the valve where it hooks onto a couple of bars on the valve and then you can put some weight on it to unscrew it. You should be able to get one at a tyre shop.
  3. Cheers for that. I'll enquire soon.
  4. I take it you mean the valve stem, if the tyre is tubeless then you need to break one side of the bead to fit a new stem from inside. If its tubed is just shagged and either way if your up for a tyre just do the lot at once. If its just the valve inside the stem you can just replace it easy as Cormeanus said.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tubeless and it's the valve stem
  6. If you haven't already got angled valve stems I'd highly recommend them
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I'll be putting them on with my next tyre change. The OEM ones are a pain in the arse.
  8. Yep, angled valve stems are a brilliant thing. Had them as factory fit on the Triumph, and when I put new rubber on the Feejer, alloy angled valve stems were part of the deal. Highly recommended.

    Oh, and another vote for no - you can't install valve stems from the outside.
  9. As an interim solution for angles stems, you can buy add on ones that you can screw on and off the existing valve. You can either mount them permanently or take them on and off as required. Not cheap, though.
  10. The only valve stem failure I've ever had was one that had an angled "extender" on it. Coincidence?

    From now on, If I'm going to use one of them, I'll screw it on to fill the tyre, then remove it. Angled, short stems are the go.

    Considering the inconvenience of a deflated tyre against either the fiddling around with the extender, each time you "do the air" or the expense of fitting good valve stems regularly, its worth it to prevent an unnecessary and very inconvenient stop at the side of the road.
  11. Hadn't needed angled valve stems before, aint gonna need em , just gotta remove the wheel and take it to my tyre guy. Rear tyre shagged anyways so it's all good.
  12. Nah I only stick to Metzelers and the guys at ringwood BM are fantastic
    Thanks though.
  13. No worries, BM will see you right.