Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Alternatives to tubed tyres on steel spoke wheel?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Backyard Mechanic, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Hi all.

I've had my XV250 for about 10 months now & have thoroughly enjoyed riding it to & from work almost every day except I have had three punctures in the last 3 months & have had a gut full! It's always the rear tyre & always a nail that's obviously fallen off a builder's ute onto the motorway.

Does anyone have any experience with making spoked wheels tubless & maybe running Slime or some other similar product in the tyre to prevent puctures?

Why is it always the rear tyre? Does the front tyre flick it up so it can stick in the rear?

I have also seen someone advocate the use of a car tyre on the rear of a Virago. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Looking forward to any & all comments.
  2. I imagine leaning the bike to steer would be difficult with a car tyre!!
  3. The use of a car tyre (dark siding) is more common on the larger tourers in the U.S. and you may have difficulty finding a suitable fit for the 250. They can be steered, but they wear the sidewall more than normal car usage. They also get less mileage than you would expect on a car, but significantly more than a standard bike tyre.

Have you thought about trying to get a tubeless type rear wheel to fit the Virago? There may be something available aftermarket for it.
  4. #4 Murph289, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Is it tubeless because it's spoked or split-type or similar? [EDIT: actually reread thread title... doh!]

I reckon middomiddo has the right of it, try and find a tubeless type wheel.

It's possible to run tubeless on dirtbikes with spoked wheels using something like TUbliss: TUbliss Motorcycle Dirt Bike Durable Tires | Nuetech

Doubtful it would work in a road application though.

I'm also not convinced on the suitability of Slime or similar in bike tyres. I imagine it would cause issues with wheel balance etc.
    A colleague of mine came unstuck on a bike due to a tyre blowout. Previous owner had filled the tyres with that stuff and not repaired a puncture, from what I recall him telling me.
  5. Nails will cause tubeless tyres to go just as flat as tubed ones.
    OP, you've had bad luck more than anything. Three in 10 months is far worse than average, but I doubt that it's because you're using tubed tyres.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. It is possible to convert some rims from tube to tubeless for road use. It involves a specific product designed to be glued to the inside of the rim. I will do a bit of research and get back to you.
  7. OK, there is the option of an Outex Kit or the less expensive option of 3M extreme tape.
  8. My own solution was to get new rims.
  9. It is pretty bad luck. But with tubes, a puncture can't be as easily fixed on the side of the road the way a tubeless can. If the OP is wedded to his spokes, I would look at the Outex kit BrmmmBrmmm suggested. Otherwise, change the rims.
  10. Yes Titus, nails will make tubeless tyres just as flat but not as quickly & tubeless are easier to fix on the side of the road.
  11. Thanks Brmmm, that would be much appreciated.

I have heard of silicone being used. Any thoughts on this?
  12. #12 Brmmm, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Backyard MechanicBackyard Mechanic answer was back in post#7 - Outex kit. I've heard that other people have had good experience with them, but not used one myself. The reason I went for new rims was that the spoke wheels i had were too heavy for the bike. The reduction in unsprung weight really improved its handling.