Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Alternative OS to Windows: Linux

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by duncan_bayne, Jan 8, 2014.

1. http://www.linuxmint.com/

Seriously. That's not to say there isn't malware for Linux, just that it's currently much rarer, and in my experience it's easier to avoid.

I'm very happy to provide assistance to you - or anyone - wanting to make the switch. I haven't used MS Windows in years and I'm a lot happier and more productive for it.

2. My kids desktops and my netbook run Linux Mint, my desktop is Slackware Linux, but the wife's notebook is still Windows 7.
    If you've got a lot of stuff you use daily in 7 then the easiest thing to do is just wipe and reinstall. Next is keep digging with something like MalwareBytes and try to root out the infection. I find MalwareBytes to be pretty good.

I support the notion of more people using Linux, and it is less vulnerable to malware (that's LESS vulnerable, not INvulnerable), but there is a bit of a learning curve. Like Duncan I'm happy to help with the transition and general support, but you will be less productive until you get up to speed. Mint is a pretty good option if you want to take the plunge.

3. It took me two weeks (back in the day - early 2000s) to overtake my Windows productivity in Linux (Red Hat, back then) and I haven't looked back :)

I've had variations on this conversation many times with Windows users.

"I have a problem with my Windows PC."

"Have you tried Linux (or for that matter OSX)?"

"No, no time to learn a new operating system. Plenty of time to fix the problems with this one, though."

I don't mean to be rude, but ... at what point does it become worthwhile to throw in the towel? Especially when you have people standing by to help you with any difficulties?

4. I started with Ooga Booga (Ubuntu) in 2005. Moved to Slackware three years ago. Moved the kids over after the n hundredth malware removal on their Windows desktops. Never going back to Windows.

If all someone does is surf the internet, send and receive emails, type the odd letter/assignment and play solitaire it will take longer to install the OS than to get back up to speed doing what you do. If you fancy yourself a "1337 6@m3R" then it will be a little harder, but with Steam for Linux in the wild things are looking up. Specific closed source Windows applications needed for work can sometimes be problematic and require more nouse to sort out though.

5. Indeed. Although there are often alternatives, and failing that, one can always keep Windows and dual-boot to it as necessary. I still have an old Windows laptop knocking around for the odd time I need it (such as when packaging Windows software).

But that's becoming less and less frequent these days ...

mac_pc.

6. No offence taken.

I understand where you're coming from but I don't have two weeks to change a direction I've been on since I started using computers when I don't have time to do other things more preferable.

Although I understand your point and I understand linux is more robust, "use linux" or "go mac" type responses aren't a helpful solution to the problem of malware at this point.

7. Good good :)

Fair enough :) If Windows does ever trip your circuit breaker, though, the offer of assistance still stands. Your local LUG (Linux Users Group) may also be of assistance.

FWIW my wife has been in the same position as you for years. Now she's seen Windows 8, I'm on orders to set up Linux on the next new laptop she buys :)

Hornet, replace Windows and Linux with Hyosung and Honda and perhaps you'll get it ;)

Seriously, this is my exact beef with this. People knowingly buy and use shit, ask for help when it breaks, and then get their knickers in a twist when people say "hey, how about replacing that shit with something that works?"

And it's not like we're being hostile about it, either. In fact we're offering free assistance (and my time isn't cheap).

8. Is this some sort of Stockholm Syndrome at work? ;)

Seriously ... for those folks here using Windows as their primary OS (i.e. ignoring dual-booting for games or for a particular Windows-specific tool) - why do you persist with Windows?

9. Because that one evening comes about once a year or less, and I game a lot. Simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 1

10. Because I've used them all, developed for both Windows and Linux and I like Windows.
    I'll never again, however, buy a Windows phone. Android (Nexus) for me with that one.

11. Well, yeah - I assumed you liked it. I was genuinely curious as to why.

12. We - meaning me and the other poster offering to assist with a Linux installation - are trying to help the OP. Yes, his machine is hosed, and the fastest way back to functional would be with a reinstallation of Windows (as I suggested, in fact, earlier in the thread).

But the long term fix is to move to a better OS.

If this were a motorcycle thread, and someone were complaining about a malfunctioning bit of kit that was known to be of poor quality, would it be considered OT to suggest an alternative replacement? Especially if that kit were free of charge?

Well, that's the last time I participate in a tech. thread here. Well done mods.

Edited: actually no, that's every bit as childish as the deletion. I'll start a new thread which will hopefully be of help to folks.

I actually just created this one: Alternatives to Windows. Hopefully will prove to be a useful resource for folks.

My apologies for peevishness earlier.

As too alternatives.

I've stuck on the Red Hat train, well Fedora actually.

I never did get on with Debian and obviously Ubuntu.

Fedora also has the advantage that it more closely resembles a Linux that people will pay you to support.

And an awful lot of their phones.

The Apple renaissance has been good for Linux too, as it's forced developers to be platform agnostic so the lockin that Microsoft championed has been eroded.

• Like Like x 1
  13. So, I've seen a few people here complaining about malware, performance and stability issues on Microsoft Windows.

My suggestion for dealing with these problems: try out one of the many good non-Windows operating systems that are available free of charge.

google-chrome-linux-mint-14.

I personally use Mint, but Ubuntu is popular too. They will install on most PCs and laptops without any dramas. You can easily install them to dual-boot, so you can choose between Windows and Linux when you boot up.

That way you get the best of both worlds: a modern, stable, fast, customisable operating system and the ability to boot back into Windows if you have software that doesn't run anywhere else (e.g. some business utilities, or games).

The idea of Linux being only for geeks and programmers is long outdated. These days, Linux is my go-to operating system when setting up a PC for beginners because of its stability and security.

The hardware support is excellent these days too ... when I used to regularly install Windows I found myself spending a lot more time hunting for drivers than I did when installing Linux.

You can even try out either Mint or Ubuntu without installing anything on your system! Just download it to a DVD or USB memory stick, and you can boot from that. You can then take it for a test drive, check compatibility with your hardware without touching your Windows installation.

If you'd like to give it a try, feel free to post any questions you have. Likewise if you get stuck, I'm happy to help. Most places also have a friendly LUG (Linux Users Group) and Melbourne (where I live) is no exception.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. As an experiment I installed Ubuntu on my laptop a while ago. TBH I'm not finding it as impressive as it was made out to be (no faster than Windows XP and still crashes occasionally) but it's OK and will be staying on there. The oodles of free software available for it is nice though.

I haven't noticed much of a learning curve. For most of what I do with a PC on a day to day basis (word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing) it's indistinguishable from Windows.

15. I want to be a hacker... what version of linux should I use???

[oldie but a goodie]

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Hmmm ... I offered options and suggestions for keeping both the original install as well as the original OS with a re-install, but suggesting that a different OS may actually be an option, just one option of several, appears to have piqued the religious fervor (and demonstrate the lack of understanding of the broader IT landscape) of a mod.

17. Yeah. I think it was more the gradual thread drift that was the problem.

18. Given that my post offering suggestions that would allow the original OS to remain were also moved/deleted, I don't. Given that the OP, also a mod, was happy for them to remain backs that up.

19. Hmmm, true. Odd that suggesting an alternative OS as a fix for a problem caused fundamentally by the OPs choice of OS might provoke moderator-rage.

20. Hey Guys, I have been using Ubuntu (on my personal laptop) for the last few months and I couldn't be happier. It is running on older hardware and it starts up in about 10 seconds, really happy with that. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but it is the same as learning to use a new phone OS, you are slow at the start and get faster with time/practice. Best thing to do is download a couple of distros, make boot-able disks and try each OS out for a few hours to get a feel for them, choose your favorite and then make a partition for Linux so you can dual boot with windows. There is nothing to loose trying it out.