Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Alternate Pathways to University for Stupid Morons who flunked their HSC

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ad91on, May 16, 2011.

1. Hey gang,

As you may have noticed, i have started using the off-topic forum for all my question and advice needs, and i have another occasion for which any help would be... helpful, i guess.

SO i ****ed my HSC. big woop. Well, I didn't actually; i got into Viticulture and Wine Science at Charles sturt in Wagga, but that was more of a joke degree i applied for as an extension of my homebrewing.

Anyway, i got a 62 ATAR (UAI, ranking, admissions index whatever you'll call it) because i was too busy doing everything/one else to be worrying about school. Now, when i need to make a decision with regard to what i will be doing with my life, it has come back to bite me in the ass.

I'm looking at doing business/law (double degree) at somewhere in sydney (UTS, UNSW, preferably not Sydney, maybe Macquarie at a stretch) full time coming into my twentieth year, and due to my bum mark, i'm going to be facing some difficulty getting into that course i want.

SO. I know there are other ways to get in to uni, and I am currently investigating them. But i am interested to know if anyone here has gone through uni via 'alternate pathways' and what they did, or if anyone has anything to say on the subject?

Many kudos.

p.s anyone ever sat a STAT test?
  2. I thought anyone that could afford a debt could go to uni?
  3. Not entirely sure how education works in nsw but I think the best option for many is tafe to uni. When I was at uni in a four year business degree there were lots of guys how'd done two years at tafe, which would allow them access to uni and give them a year of exemptions (five years total).

I though about bus/law but there's no way I wanted to be a solicitor. If you want to be in business save the extra study for CA or a masters (IMO).
  4. As someone who has been studying for a long time, a year out from getting a PhD, I'm seriously considering taking my homebrew passion professional when I finish, and I have a mate whose just finished his PhD looking for jobs in breweries. Don't discount the brewing option, if you like your homebrew. Its always important to do what your interested in.

Also given your lower HSC score don't think Uni will be a walk in the park. It is hard work and if you don't do something your really into you might find more interesting distractions and drop out with a HECS debt and no degree.
  5. Studying is boring as bat shit, u can buy degrees online now :D

but i am a fully qualified horticulturalist thanks to council paying for it :)
  6. I got into engineering via alternate entry. Its a bit different in QLD I think. I know STAT tests are pretty well known across aus, but in QLD there is also a PCA, or personal competencies assesment. All I did was list job history and did a PCA and I got accepted. I never did year 11 or 12, but I did do a bridging course in math and english at one of the uni's.

Might be a little harded with no work history though, so I would stick with the degree you are doing for maybe a year and see if you cant transfer to what you want to do.
  7. You could go and do your HSC again at TAFE to bring your mark up.
  8. You're joking right?

Not going to happen at any reputable uni in Sydney imo, be realistic. Don't forget that the HSC is a walk in the park compared to a law degree at uni, if 62 represents your work ethic/priorities you won't make it (I'm super motivational eh). A friend was around 94-95ish and had to get a distinction average in a different course for a year before he could transfer to the law degree he wanted (at either usyd or unsw)

Business on the other hand is not going to be a problem.

There are always alternatives to uni if you can't get in where you want, and it might be more realistic in your case. College/tafe style courses are sometimes even superior for purely learning technical knowledge, which is advantageous for some disciplines.. but not for those which hold where you studied highly, eg. law.

Most importantly, do something you're interested in, not just something that you think will make a good career.
  9. The best way would be to go through TAFE, you can also go through as a mature age student, or even to do a graduate diploma and enter a degree that way.

Dont be too hard on yourself. Once your in the workforce for a couple of years most employers wont even bother with degrees, most places care more about practical experience than an A4 graduation print out.

Trust me, some of the most competent colleges Ive had weren't degree qualified and some of the most idiotic were ex/current university lecturers. Most times you see through all their fancy words and theoretical garbage. In saying that the best manager ive had had something like 7 undergrads, masters and PhD's.....apparently these things were free back in the good old days.
  10. My sis did law and was admitted. You need a good mark for sure but sometimes people perform better in Uni than in high school. I found High School tougher than Uni and the HSC more stressful than any uni exams. I did pretty good in Uni even though I was drunk for half of it lol :)...........I dont remember anything in Uni and dont think any of the stuff helped in the workplace.

I do have plenty of fond memories of parties, being drunk, and running amok with friends..............oh I loved the library, Mac Uni's post grad section has a very secluded corner where you can sleep off your alco consumption...............I got sick and tired of meat pie and noodles from the vending machine though :(.
  11. Hmm. Well, i've applied for mid-year offers to try and get a foot in the door.

I should have been a bit clearer - i'm not expecting to get straight into business/law especially not with my crappy-ass mark. There's a few personal reason why i've chosen this degree as my situation leaves me with... well, a good chance of success with these particular degrees. I'm seriously considering a diploma/graduate diploma option, especially one from a private college which may be accelerated somewhat. I'd rather avoid a "foundation studies" style course as they are often looked down upon when applying for unis again.

Anyway, thanks for all your help so far, i'll get an edumacation yet!!
  12. Try Open Uni.

You don't need to be offered a place - just apply and you're in. You wil be studying the same course as on-campus students and you are awarded the same degree as on-campus students. There is absolutely no distinction between a degree earned on campus and one earned off campus thru Open Uni.

The fees from memory may be less than the on campus equivalent, depending on the course (it has been about 5 yrs since I studied thru Open Uni, so my memory is a bit rusty) and you can HECS them if you want.

Plus you have the flexibility to fit your study in around work, if need be. You can do a fulltime load and finish a typical undergraduate degree in 3 years (i.e. two units per study period = 8 units per year), or you can go part time and do one unit per study period (i.e. do your undergraduate degree over 6 yrs).

Finally, it's common for students to form informal study groups around particular units, so if you find it easier having a few people to study and discuss the course with, there's that option too.

13. Don't listen to people who say you can't go to Uni because of your HSC results. Uni is different, and people's attitudes change as they grow up. My UAI was pathetic, however I did put some effort into the STAT test and obtained a decent result. That was in 2004. I used my STAT result to help me get into Wollongong College Australia in 2009, and after completing the course, I was accepted into the University of Wollongong for an International Studies degree.
  14. Dw, uni can be over rated, especially law. I'm not sure if its applicable but I think Maq and UTS may have an alternative entry scheme (Insearch, or sumthing like that for UTS i think) for some uni courses, not too sure which ones though but maybe worth a look? But yeh, have a look around, there mayb other courses that take your fancy -wether it be at uni or tafe. If you wanna look at it another way, u've already got 13 yrs of education (yes i count kindy) under your belt - thats a privilege millions (billions?) of people around the world don't even have, so in the bigger picture ur already a very learned person :)
  15. If you could get into business without the law part at some other uni it is usually possible to transfer (and get most of the credits) to a different one. The problem would be picking up the law part, since you mark is way too low for law at a Sydney university. Honestly at this stage you are better off aiming for business and then doing postgrad law.
  16. To be honest a lot of peoples work ethic in high school compared to a few years in the real world is totally different, I got an OP 21 and didn't really do as well as I could've at school for a few different reasons. However 8 years later I was accepted into a Bachelor of Law and Bachelor ofCriminology
  17. Do a Grad Dip associated with the Uni and the subject, that way you get your Diploma and might get the credit points for the Uni course.

AlbieQ, Uni can sometimes be a bit over rated, they learn allot more theory and not really what happens in the industry. Ive managed some fresh out of uni people before and some of these guys have huge ego's, always comparing their uni marks, looking down on people, not working hard, selective in what they will do, and generally just being a di(K......some of these guys actually expect to be slotted in to a managerial position straight out of uni.
  18. I did a bit of work then did TAFE then UNI. It's a hard slog doing it that way.

There was a period there where I seriously wish I'd done the Viticulture and Wine science. It wouldn't be a bad life.

Maybe take a year off for travel. Get a better idea about what you really want to do.

Alternatively get a Junior position in a business/law firm and start TAFE part time until you can get into UNI.
  19. I didn't do year 12 so I ended up doing the year 12 equivalent at TAFE which was incredibly easy and gave me a pretty rockin' Uni entry score and I also sat STAT just in case. Once you get your foot in you're pretty set. You can transfer courses internally. If you don't have the marks for law straight up, do something else for a year build up your GPA and then try for the next law intake. In the meantime you've adjusted to the uni lifestyle and have a better idea of what you want to do.