Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Altenator Oil?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Georgeclooney, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Hey guys,
    after a couple of hours of fault finding, punching petrol tanks and breaking glass on my fzx250 i realized that my stator was FRIED and my battery wasnt charging because of it. Ive since purchased a new one and thrown it in.. started the bike just now only to smell the new one frying again. I turned the bike off straight away and opened the cover to let it cool down.. ive searched around and cant find anything regarding any cooling systems for the stator so i was just wondering if anyone knows whether i have to lube up my stator and rotor and with what? because its overheating to the shit house
    cheers guys

2. not to my knowledge.
    sounds like you have a severe short somewhere in the charging system before the reg/rec though

3. Well, if it is a dry system you don't lube it with anything.

You find out why it is overheating.

The current through the stator control windings affect the amount of current developed in the output coils. The output coils are rectified from AC to DC and sent to the battery.

You probably have either a dead rectifier (on the output windings) which is acting as a short curcuit or a faulty regulator which is holding the exciter coils on for too long allowing too much output.

It is easier to work out what is wrong if you have access to a manual and a multimeter. They normally give values and test methods for these components. Alternatively it is probably a known problem and someone, especially a Yamaha dealer, should know.

All the best

Trevor G