Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Alright, now I'm confused

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by pmacleod, Nov 3, 2007.

1. After going to the show and seeing a few things, as a soon to be rider going through the L's process I'm well and truly confused. Do I :-

a) Buy a nice second-hand GS500F for $6k-ish, and hope to get the majority of it back when I sell ? (hi chickibabe :))

b) Buy a brand new Sachs 150KN with 12 months warranty for $2600 on the road, delivered to my house with a helmet and gloves, and sell it for half or so in 6 months when I get my unrestricted ?

c) Buy a brand-new Zongshen ZS200GY-2, a 200cc trailie with road tyres for $2000 or so with a 2 year warranty, and then either flog it off in 6 months or stick knobbies on it and use it as a paddock basher until it dies ?

I know that the Sachs and Zongshen are rubbish, but BOY OH BOY they are cheap aren't they ? My first bike won't be a long-term keeper, just something to get a clue before I get onto something tastier, so it doesn't have to be indestructible. On the other hand, a GS500F may well keep me happier for longer so I don't need to swap bikes so soon....

I'm sure I'm not Robinson Crusoe with this, so if anyone has an opinion or experiences to share I'd be interested in hearing them :)

2. If you have the spare beans, then the GS500 may suit better, as it may last longer than the others, and re-sale is pretty good if you don't trash it.

The sachs, and chow wein variety thumper will leave you bored pretty quickly I imagine as they are very underpowered.

The GS will also be easier to on-sell, as opposed to the other 2 you noted.
  3. +1 Expect to lose 50% of whatever you pay for the sachs/zong. Vs. losing a few hundred in depreciation if you get the GS (assuming you service it + replace consumeables eg. chain, sprockets, tyres, etc. etc. properly).

Factor in the initial servicing of new bikes and the GS comes out on top. Chickibabe's gs I can tell you from personal experience has NOT been flogged one bit.
  4. OR....go the POS route (spend $1,000) if you are happy to get rid of it after 6 months anyway, lose nothing and get experience and knowledge to figure out which long-term bike you really want.....
  5. Does the cheapy chinese trailie even have road reg as an option ?
  6. Two years ago they didn't meet Aus requirements for registration - they were only intended for off (public) road use. Not sure if that has changed since but it's one of the first things that should be checked.
  7. yes the chinese invasion is here and ADR complied
  8. Castle Hill Motorcycles are bringing them in

The one I saw at the show isn't on that page, but you get the idea.

Today's thought is stay away from them and the Sachs option, with their whopping 14 horsepower ;-) A GS with 50-odd will be more enjoyable by far.

9. Mate as the old saying goes you get what you pay for, if you want a cheap and nasty toy that will fall apart or cost you heaps to keep going go the elcheapo specials!!. However if you want a bike that you can get on start and know you are going to get to your destination on then there is no question go the GS500. Especialy knowing the bikes history and impecable service record at least you can ride with confidence of knowing its not going to let you down , and hey its good looking to boot .
    Cheers Bob
  10. Couldn't agree more. The big thing to me is SAFETY. I wouldn't ride a Chinese bike on a public road for all the tea in.......well you get the idea.
    Also, think of the resale (or lack of). There will always be a market for a cheap Jap bike in fair condition.
  11. All these things are true, but the reliability/ongoing running costs argument is answered by the factory warranty of 12 months for the Sachs and 2 years for the Zongshen. Wouldn't want to own one and rely on it after that period though...that's the same reason why I'm not looking at an over 2 year old Hyosung :wink: A new GT650R is compelling though, new carby slides and 30 more horses than the GS can muster, but $4k more than the second-hand GS and questionable resale.

12. At that price and warranty (10000 kms covers you to your 3 service pretty much) if i were in the market, I'd seriously consider it. Yes, the gs500 is an old fav, yes its a good bike and yes resale is good on it. But you are selling it again in 6mnths - 1year. If you are learning on it, you will more then likely drop it, and your resale drops a bit.

Personally, I would get the zongshen 200cc dirty with road tyres. Learn on it, drop it, scrape it and whatever, then go buy a big bike, and use the zong as a dirt bike and learn how to do maintainance on it.

BTW, some specs i found for the zong:
    For a 200cc air cooled single, thats not bad. Would pbly keep up with a cb250.
  13. Ahh if only I had some bikes landed already so I could take em to the bike show thing.

The other option for learners, is a nice and friendly low powered, but more power than CBR125, chinese bike, yet to go through testing for ADR's.

$3,500 is pretty decent price. Looks hot too. That's what you want on your L's.

If you are thinking scooter, this is an option.
  14. Best factor in not having the bike for long periods if you go Chinese. If they are anything like all the ATV's etc that are sold, you will wait, wait, wait for parts, and none of teh dealers will want to know you come warranty time.
    If you keep one till warranty expires, I can guarantee you won't get half back, no one will touch it.

Regards, Andrew.
  15. Well there is a very shiny GS500F in the garage now, and I'm as happy as the pig in proverbial. Thanks to everyone that offered opinions, glad I didn't go cheap and nasty in the end.