Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Alpinestars T-GP-R Air for QLD summer

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by locusm, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Im looking at getting the Alpinestars T-GP-R Air Jacket for summer, anyone have experience with it in our heat/humidity?
    Any other recommendations? Im in Brisbane...

Jacket vid here

2. That jacket would be great for brisbane summer, I live in Brisbane and am just about to buy a RS Taichi high armored jacket from motorcycle race gear in Melbourne, its probably about the same cost as that once you factor in shipping and it has the harder knox armor, chest protection and CE back protection.
  3. Funny you say that I was looking at that exact Jacket too - arent they available down the Goldie too?
    How are you going to size it?
  4. Damn, they are Vic only after all, not sure where I saw that.
    Odd that they arent distributed anywhere at all dont you think?

You going the RSJ249 or RSJ275?
  5. I have ordered from Alex at MRG before, hes a member on here. I think the only reason they're not distributed elsewhere is that the companys fairly new and noone in Brisbane has got onto it yet.

First jacket I ordered through Alex I just used the size chart and his advice and the fit was spot on, I think he'd also be very good about returns and exchanges if the size was off.

I went with the RSJ275, mainly because I much preferred the look and Alex didn't have any black RSJ249's in my size. Also, I think the back armor is only CE certified in the newer one, although the older one still looks pretty solid.

That said if he has a RSJ249 you're happy with in your size, its an amazing jacket for the price.

Everyone who wears RS taichi will tell you that the gear is absolutely top quality and can't be beaten as far as quality and bang for buck goes.

I should also point out that in my opinion nothing beats leather, I'm only using the mesh jacket for commuting to work and around town etc where I'm not too concerned about abrasion resistance and I don't want to be constantly covered in sweat. For more serious rides the leather GMX motion provides excellent airflow for a leather jacket with tons more abrasion resistance.

With a cool base layer in summer and the zip in liner in winter you will be comfortable in the GMX motion all year around. Might need a jumper or thermal base layer on really cold mornings.
  6. Thanks Hobbsie, Ive been keen on the RSJ249 since watching a few reviews at the start of my research. Might give Alex a call.
  7. Thanks for making me aware of this jacket! Been looking for a suitable summer jacket for Brisbane!
  8. OK I got the RSJ275 and it fits me perfect, really impressed with the quality and protection as usual from Taichi.

I'm 178cm and about 84kg, I got the size XL and it fits great.
  9. I've decided to go with Rev it instead, similar quality and better sizing for me.