Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Alpinestars Riding Shoes - Enough Protection?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by chickenstrips, Apr 17, 2015.

1. So I'm planning on getting my licence in the next few months, and I've just started to look at the gear and whatnot that's available. My question is this: do you think that riding shoes, like the Alpinestars Anaheim or Alpinestars Faster Ride shoes, offer enough protection for normal day to day riding?

They're essentially like sneakers with reinforcement in the ankle, heel, and toe box, so I understand that they will offer less protection than fully fledged boots but I am wondering if they are sufficient for normal commuting. I don't plan on taking them on any freeways/motorways, so I'd say the fastest I'd be travelling in them would be around 60-70km/h.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

(p.s, sorry I haven't put in any links to the shoes, I'm not allowed yet because I'm a new member... A quick google search should bring up what I'm talking about though)

Thanks!!

2. do you like your toes? ;)

I was looking at them and the dude in bikebiz said I may as well just wear my normal sneakers...

3. I've got short boots (and long ones), the main issue with short boots is the lack of shin protection (stones, insects hitting your shin through kevlar jeans stings).

I'm happy to use short boots on shorter trips but for longer trips I prefer more shin protection.

4. Very much so (y)
    So you're happy with the level of protection they'd provide on a short ride if you were to come off?

5. #5 A boy named Sue, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    For commuting it is very easy to have a pair of work shoes and leave them at the work. It is a harder decision when you're riding to a social event or the shops -- that's where some (including me) make some comprimises on safety.

FWIW Ducati have done a deal with blundstone to make a riding boot. I guess it has safety elastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. My short rides are to work (less than 10kms at less than 60kph) or to the shops (less than 5kms at less than 60kph).

But yes I'm happy with the level of protection short boots provide at 60kph commuting speeds during my shorter rides.

The amount of friction resistance needed when sliding at 60kph is significantly less than at touring speeds which (it seems to me) means that to maintain a similar average level of protection requires less material between me and the road.

7. This is what I was thinking about... Going to social events, I'd prefer to be able to wear one pair of shoes as opposed to riding with long boots and taking a change of shoes with me.
    Makes sense to me too :). Thanks for your help!

8. Hiking boots do the trick for me. Leather, lots of padding, steel shank -- just have to be careful with the laces.

9. CMaxCMax i have some S-MX2 boots i use for riding. I normally change into normal shoes when i arrive at work.

I've had an off and they did their job.

As far as a runner goes, I was going to buy some but i personally didn't like the lack of ankle support / protection. (if you drop the bike there's a chance the bike will land on you depending on how fast you're going) so i kept with the boot rather than the shoe approach.

As with any gear I'm sure there are people that swear by them.

Cheers
    Juz

Attached Files:

10. I looked into them but opted instead for a proper full length boot.
    The ankle protection is non-existant in shoes, there's nothing to stop your foot being rotated 180' or kicking yourself in the knee. I might be overly cautious but have a google search for motorcycle foot injuries (prepare to cringe).

11. #11 dima, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    The "sliding protection" isn't of a big value on the road and in the traffic.
    More likely you'll hit something than be sliding for too long.

Thus impact protection would be more important in my book.
    If I could I'd wear my race boots everywhere BUT you cannot really and need to compromise.

In winter I compromise the protection for waterproof and warm boots that don't have much ankle protection.
    In stinking hot summer I can compromise wearing riding shoes.

I can compromise when I'll need to spend most of the day off the bike.

I don't like to compromise on any the "spirited" rides and I don't compromise on the track.

You have to choose yourself where you are ready to sacrifice protection for the other benefits.

If you don't know yet, then start with the most protection you can afford.
    Then you'll notice where it isn't comfortable, too cold, too hot, doesn't work with the bike, doesn't fit you etc etc.

Then you may even notice that full-on protection makes it actually more dangerous to ride due to all the comfort issues it brings.
    Then you start compromising more.

So as you can see the key word here is COMPROMISE...

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. My commute is around 10km. Baggy Kevlar jeans over my work pants, dri rider jacket over my shirt, leather gloves and normal work shoes. When I arrive I can slip off my pants and jacket and have my office workwear nice and pristine underneath, I then fold up my pants and jacket and chuck them under my desk. No need for change rooms or locker. My commute takes 20mins Max with traffic, so taking longer than 5 mins to get into my gear is a real disincentive to riding to work. I think my current routine is a good compromise between comfort, efficiency and protection. If I was commuting up to an hour I would probably wear full race boots under my kevlars and change shoes at work.

13. I ride with AlpineStars faster riding boots. They are comfy as I have a narrow foot. They have a fair bit of flexibility, are breathable and are waterproof. The only thing I dislike is the lack of support around the ankle that other boots have. Other than that they're great. Hope it helps

14. Same price as top range sneakers these days. Probably offer a little better protection though.

15. I was going to prepare a well-composed, structured piece about risk management centering around the word "enough" but dimadima did it better with "compromise".

For what it's worth, my mate was wearing those A* shoes when he had a low-speed drop where his foot ended up under the bike. Hairline fracture in his ankle - tiny and it healed in no time, but it was enough to convince him to get taller boots.

16. Also remember the biggest baddest protection does nothing if you aren't wearing it. Spend money on gear you are actually prepared to wear. Another argument towards compromising

• Like Like x 1
  17. So true Mrjax, safety gear won't help if its in the wardrobe. Also I don't think you ever stop buying gear, as you go you collect options for different situations.

18. I have a pair and I really like them.
    I haven't crashed wearing them, and hope I don't, but compared to sneakers they have better ankle support (I got some high top ones for this reason) and the soles are really stiff, wish they had steel caps though.
    I wouldn't feel safe wearing them on a race track or anything, but for something comfortable that I can still walk around the shops in and wear as a normal shoe while providing decent protection for everyday riding, love 'em.

19. #19 Riders Line, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Riding shoes are great, especially if your going to ride in sneakers anyway. Just make sure they are full grain leather, have a TPU toe and heal box and definitely medial and lateral ankle discs built in. The full grain leather is very abrasion resistant, same as your leather jacket. The TUP (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) works like steel caps in work boots but is much lighter. The ankle discs will take the brunt of any initial shock and protect from gravel/asphalt sliding. My online store just brought Speed and Strength Black 9 Moto Shoes into Australia that have all these features as well as a unique hidden lacing system that helps prevents the laces from shearing at the loop holes and the shoe flying off in the event of a slide. They are available in black and tan. https://www.ridersline.com.au/shop/...es/speed-and-strength-black-9-moto-shoes.html

speed-and-strength-black-9-moto-shoes.

20. Got anything similar for women?