Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Alpinestars Alpha WP Boot mini-noob-review

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by RatherCeebs, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Hey guys,

I just picked up a pair of Alpinestars Alpha Touring Waterproof boots today from Action in the city. Heads up: the online price is cheaper than the in-store price. Mention this to one of the guys there and they'll match it... at least that's what they did for me! I paid $237 or thereabouts (VIP pricing), whereas the in-store pricing says $299.

Disclaimer: these are my first pair of motorcycle boots, so please excuse my un-technical and probably incorrect assumptions. Also correct me when I'm wrong, as I'd definitely like to know :p

Basically, I'd bought these boots as I bought a pair of Draggins yesterday (my ordinary jeans were getting threadbare in the butt area after only a few weeks of riding), and found it was too long and wide around the bottom. They were flapping around whenever I rode, sometimes catching underneath my shoes as well - BAD. I decided tucking them inside a taller boot would fix this problem. It did, and looks great as well. I'm not a fan of explicit branding, and these boots are about as nondescript as they get: http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/cat.../touringroad-riding/alpha-touring-waterproof/

They're dead comfy, I've been wearing them around for about five hours straight now including a thirty minute ride back home. The zipper on the side is a little bit tough and that gets me a little worried about how it'll last in the long run, but it seems fairly sturdy. The end of the zipper itself has a small bit of velcro on the end that lines up with the top bit of the boot where a larger velcro strap holds everything together, meaning nothing's dangling around or unzipping itself. The velcro creaks a little at the beginning but then holds everything in place very well. My feet are pleasantly warm - not hot, not cold. They also feel very well supported and the padding feels like it's just the right amount.

All in all, very satisfied with my purchase. $200+ is more than I've ever spent on footwear, but that seems to be the case with all bike gear :(

The only thing I've got to complain about is that I'm having more trouble feeling the "click" of the clutch pedal, and it's also a bit more difficult to shift up/down as my ankle and toes are essentially locked into one position. On the trip home, I had to place my foot perfectly to get into the gap under the clutch to go up a gear, and occasionally had to abandon all finesse and stomp the pedal to go down. I'm guessing they'll loosen up after a while... or is this something I just have to get used to?

That's more or less it, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have :)

EDIT: just realised this may be in the wrong section...