Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Alpine Way (snowy mtns, NSW)

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by dobbo, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Alpine Way.

just got back from a ride, through the Vic Alps and NSW alpine area.

I found the Alpine Way, particularly from Thredbo to Khancoban, a bit over the top with speed restrictions.
    I have ridden this piece of road, many times before; however, this time around there is a 60kph speed limit from Thredbo down to Tom Groggin, which I do not remember?
    From top to bottom, I had no need to accellerate once, just found a gear that I could roll in!

I remember, a couple of 80kph zones between Tom Groggin and Khancoban, that are over policed, but can not remember so much 60kph.
    Still an interesting ride, if you have never been before.
    However, I found it boring and distracting having to constantly check my speed for fear of a cash car being around the next bend.

Anyhow, just a bit of info, for those heading to the MotoGP or Snowy ride.
  2. And the Snowy ride is the likely reason for that speed change ;)

Like you, I have ridden it many times, and never seen 60km/h, always 80km/h there. As for over policed, I think I can honestly say that outside ski season, Moto GP week I have never seen police working the Alpine Way in that area.
  3. It's been a few years since I was on the Alpine Way, 2010 maybe. I think it was 60 most of they way then.

I saw a couple of tax collectors that day....
  4. There weren't any between Jindabyne and Bombala.
  5. We went through last year,there had been a big landslide with plenty of road workers about,we got the nod about the multiple boys in blue about,weekend after the Snowy Ride.Seems they get plenty of overtime ,even after the Snowy Run weekend.This was south of Dead Horse Gap.