Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Alpine Way... Khancoban - Thredbo?

Discussion in 'Hazardous Road Condition Reports' started by dobbo, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Does anyone know if the Alpine Way is open?

I know there was a rock slide that closed the road, between Khancoban and Thredbo.
    I have heard it is open on Weekends, but then closes during the week, whilst repairs are being carried out.
    I know the Khancoban - Cabramurra road was opened early to allow and alternative route.

2. That's the news I got today from a Jindabyne local & sounds like that's the case for a while.
  3. Thanks guys.

Might be worth keeping an eye on these roads if planning a ride down to the GP.
  4. #5 GreyBM, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    They are making a special effort to have it open on the GP weekend - probably only one lane - but will be closed again after that. Got my fingers crossed for the Snowys Ride weekend at the end of the month.

However I'd definitely check before using.

And the BMWMCCACT's Kosciuszko Rally at Geehi which was to be this weekend has been postponed. Details of the new date on their website
  5. Its time for the annual Snowys Ride again.
    anyone been up on the ranges who may be able to share regarding road conditions
    Khancoban to Thredbo
    Snowy mountain hwy etc
  6. Suggest you check out the khancoban to thredbo route, word is the road is closed, so would need to go up and over then back towards thredbo via jindabyne..
    It might be open but last info i had was a negative...
  7. the alpine way is open with a single lane and light controls, and will be like that until mid November.

its still pretty cold down there too, with icey conditions.