Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Almost time to get of restrictions

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by BIG A, Sep 14, 2009.

1. So ive been sitting back and watching the almost of restrictions posts and the question of what bike to upgrade to. Its almost time for me ( Three months from tomorrow ) to get rid of the restrictions and was starting to seriously consider what bike to upgrade to. I have spent the last year doing the whole should i get a 1000 or a 600. Im currently riding a GS500F and thought the sensible thing would be to go for a 600 or maybe a GSXR750 till I gain more confidence on a sports bike. But I have had my eye on the 2009 R1 and the temptation of just going straight to the R1 is getting greater as I get closer to making a purchase. I mentioned to a friend of mine recently that I would love to get a new R1 but am a bit scared to jump from the GS500 straight to an R1, he replied maybe its better to jump straight over while you still have that fear in you then when you dont. Does anyone agree with that comment? Also being 6 foot tall ( 182cm ) I find the yamaha's are more of a tight fit than say the suzuki's. Are there any tall riders who ride a sports yamaha and find them comfortable compared to say the riding position of the sports suzuki's? Never ridden either but from sitting on both the yamaha feels more like you are sitting ontop of it compared to the suzuki where you feel you are more inthe bike. I know everyone will say test ride them then make a decision, but I think if i test rode an R1 I would be riding it very tamely instead of pushing it and getting a real feel for it on a short test ride. I would like to purchase a bike and have it ready to pick up on the day I come of my restrictions, I really want to go out pick up a new R1 but commonsense tells me I should start smaller. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. your cash, your ass, your decision
    if you want to give us your cash to buy your bike for you, however, we will exhaustively test the R1 for you to make sure it's safe. we're just cool like that.

that being said, even if that mayan calander thing goes down, you should still have time to upgrade to a litre after buying a 600 before the end of the world, in case you were in a hurry to die or something.

the new R1 IS very hip, like they've finally started listening to riders who are happy with the inline4 power but just wish for a heartier exhaust note. if you buy brand new, it's added incentive not to dick around on it and keep the rubber side down.

with 15months experience on the GS, do you feel you're already getting the most from your current bike?
  3. This is a very common question posed by people about to upgrade.

You are about to get some people telling you (A) that you will kill yourself if you jump on an R1. And another group (8) will tell you that it's all in the right wrist, and they only make xxHP below 6000rpm, so if you keep it below that and slowly gain confidence, you'll be fine.

Maybe to save time people should just post 'A' or 'B' :LOL:

In some respects, the larger the bike, the lazier/less frantic you can ride it.

I believe the truth is that in order for people to make that recommendation, it would more be a reflection and judgment on YOU than the BIKE. For some people, it would be entirely appropriate to upgrade straight to an R1. For others I would think it suicidal. It depends on your current riding skill, your level-headedness, whether you often feel 'out of your depth' in corners etc etc.

I chose to get the 675, but tbh that capacity suits my riding anyway. The only larger capacity I considered was a GSXR 750.

So did that help? Probably not :LOL: It would be doable though I have never done it, but if you think about yourself/ask experienced friends that actually go riding with you, you should come to the right conclusion. I myself like the idea of a ~600cc so the bike is not so daunting. I reckon there is nothing that will crush skill acquisition than believing your bike will be out to kill you. Conservative confidence is what it's all about I reckon when you first step up.
  4. Turbo Hayabusa. Go big, or go home.
  5. ride it yourself and then make the decision, if it seems to much to soon, walk away from the deal.

I agree with Morbo's comment on the need for a big bike. I personally dont use all the power of the 600 plus i love the more peaky power of a 600 I find it more enjoyable hence i dont want/need anything any bigger
  6. Reading this post made me realise that the way I look at upgrading to a bigger bike was the same way I looked at buying a new guitar amp on the weekend. With just a few word changes the philosophy is easily interchangeable.

I went to buy an Orange (Suzuki) amp (bike) on the weekend. The options in front of me were the RV100 (SV1000) or the RV50 (SV650). Despite the massive amounts of headroom (Horsepower) that the RV100 had I decided to go for the RV50. The reasons for this were; 1) I would never use the headroom (HP) of the RV100 (SV1000) in a way that wouldn't have the sound engineer (police) coming down on me like a tonne of bricks, also 2) I enjoyed the cranked (peaky) output of the RV50 (SV650) more.

So really, different amps and bikes for different people. It all depends on what you want to use it for and what style of playing or riding you want.

I know this doesn't answer the OP's question, I jsut felt a tangent coming on and went with it.
  7. All good points. I probably will never really use the full power of an R1. Im sure a GSXR750 will have more power than I need wether im on the road or decide to take it on the track occasionally. But an R1 would be a nice toy to have and I think its more about the appeal of how it looks and all that potential power being on tap then actually ever really needing it or using it. Plus for some reason the suzuki's look to have a more comfortable riding position and less agressive than the yami. I think the 750 would be a more sensible choice.
  8. Sorry guys but It doesn’t always work this way, you can’t apply the logic of you don’t need the extra horse-power so why bother going the 1000cc. It’s another story if you like the revvy engine of 600cc.

The fact is you are not going to try to learn basic riding skills on your next bike so get whatever that rocks your heart. You could hurt yourself on any bike If you don’t feel comfortable/confident enough being a R1 or a 50cc scooter. So being honest, you are the one who should make the call not anyone else.

For comparing the R1 with Gixxer, I tried all of the big 4 Japanese while I was looking both 600cc and 1000cc. I’m 6’2†and was reasonably comfortable on all of them , the R1, ZX10R and ZX6R were the most comfortable though. So I think you should be fine no matter witch bike you get.
    But keep in mind the R1(haven't tried the rest in a hot day heavy traffic yet) is getting hot in stop/start traffic and wouldn’t be everyone’s taste for commuting.
  9. 600 v 1000 is largely on you, the question has popped up enough times for most every opinion to have been covered. Do a search, digest the various opinions, and weigh them against your own opinion as well as your knowledge of yourself and your behaviours.

I mainly popped in to say that I think buying a bike without test riding it (ie paying for it etc so it is ready the day you are off restrictions) is a silly idea to me. Dropping that much coin (or being locked into a contract for x amount of time) I would want to KNOW that I enjoy the bike and that any quirks/inconveniences are ones that I would be happy living with.
  10. theres a 'busa i see at tafe most days... and today i saw the guy who rides it... no gear aside from helmet :( and the tyre looks pretty unused :LOL:
  11. Ducati 848!
  12. The R1 is 300% more fooli sik.
  13. Get what puts the biggest bulge in your pants. At the end of the day, it's your money, you will be riding the bike and we will just be drooling over the pics when you post them up.
  14. If money & insurance is no matter, and you're a sensible guy, I'd say, go for the R1.

You have to test ride before you buy, but you dont have to test the bike to 100% of its limits to appreciate its performance. Unless, you're buying it for the track, but that's a completely diff. story. :p

How it responds to your inputs and its ergonomics, and the power delivery & handling would provide the clues as to which bike it is that you're most happy with.

Good luck.
  15. Get a ZX-9R. Yes an old one - fast and comfy for your size. If you don't crash that in a year...go neon.
  16. The new R1 has the different power modes which u can change with the flick of a button so if u feel intimidated just turn the power down thats what i done on my gsxr 1000 for probably the first 10 minutes after that it has been A mode ever since and i have had no problems.
    And that talk about never using the power of a thousand is crap, sure i have never reached the top speed of my bike but i still use that extra power just have to be a bit smoother with the throttle.
    You are 29 so insurance shouldn't be a problem i say get the thousand while these awsome machines are still legal to ride on the road it's only a matter of time before some retarded government bans them.
  17. If you want the best all-round sports bike you can't go past the Gixxer 750. Nearly as fast as a 'thou, tractable, crazy when it needs to be and a bike that you can live with in all sorts of riding conditions.
  18. A few months back I was in the same position as you. I didn't know what to buy and was a bit intimidated about jumping up to the thou. After heaps of consideration I decided to go with a new 08 R1 and am sooo glad I did.

The bike is one seriously awesome piece of machinery. It does everything better than my old zxr250 (considered one of the better learner bikes). It has unbelievable handling - so flickable, stupidly good brakes, and obviously amazing power. But it's not intimidating at all and can be riden around town no worries, it really is all dependent on your wrist control. I felt so comfortable on it that I had the Mrs on the back within days (never pillioned before that) and now we go riding at least once a week.

The grunt below 7k rpm is all I need on the street, above that is warp speed. I've read the 09 R1 has a fair bit more down low, which may or may not suite your riding style (the tyre shop will love you though, haha). Personally, I love the big power kick the 08 gives at 7-8k, it's controllable, predictable and so much fun.

Only you will know if you are sensible enough to buy one though. At the end of the day, if you ride it like an idiot, it will probably end in tears. If you ride it with respect, it's like any other bike and will be a pleasure to own. I love mine and don't regret the upgrade for a second. Good luck!
  19. Hear hear, on 2 counts :

1) What rc36 has said is sooo true ! Sold my Gixer 750 K7 less than 1mth ago..a beautiful bike with more performance than one needs on roads....

and then came...

2) Joel S's post - Can't agree more with his words as well. My upgrade, from the Gixer is my current 2008 R1..what an awesome piece of kit ! A beautiful, responsive bike with nice feel, appearance and presence on the roads. I'm a Gixer lover, but the R1 sold me over when it came time for a thou... not saying though that I wouldn't be happy with the Gixer.. all awesome bikes.

Mate, get yourself whatever bikes feels good for you. Test ride them, get accustomed to each ones riding position, feel, comfort factor and of course 'wow' factor which the 600, 750 & Thou sports possess, in varying degrees. Choose a bike that it right for YOU.

Whatever you choose, enjoy and be safe..have a blast dude. But on a biased level, there are 'just a few' of us here in Netrider with R1's.... and we LOVE 'em ;)
  20. HI mate

My advice ''' test ride. test ride. test ride'' you can do all the searching on all the sites you like , but you need to ride and see what works for you and your type of riding '

Good luck and enjoy