Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Almost rear ended a car

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by RedWings01, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Well was on a 3 lane road travelling at around 50-60km/h, traffic seems to be moving at a good speed, not too close to the car behind. I get distracted for half a second and when my eyes are back on the car in front, he is close to stopped. I brake as hard as I can but only have about 5 or so meters left. Don't think I'm going to make it without hitting the back or dropping the bike so I quickly accelerate right into the next lane and lucky there wasn't a car there. This was incredibly stupid of me and was completely my fault. My inexperience definitely contributed to this as I have only been riding for 3-4 weeks on my Ls.

Feel pretty shaken up right now. First close call that actually would have ended up as an accident if I didn't swerve right.

Never again will I make the same mistake. My eyes will not be distracted any more. I'll make sure that I have sufficient space in front. That was too close and I hope it never happens again.

Be careful guys, keep your eyes scanning and don't make the mistake I made.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Get in a habit of planning your filtering gap in case you can't stop in time and need to take evasive action between two cars. Has saved me a couple of times when going through heavy traffic and cars making erratic lane changes or when I get distracted.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Umm...we don't!

Take it as lesson learnt. Now you see how bad a small distraction can be. Just be aware that people in cars are on their phones so imagine their distraction! Keep an eye out for fools behind you as well! Remember: you're invisible!!
  4. Will remeber that. Good thing I was lucky. Wouldn't of ended well If i wasn't. Lesson learnt. I think i've just used a year worth of luck.
  5. You learnt from it, that can only be good for your riding, I know it is for me.
    Being always in the moment is something I love about riding, great meditation.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. Yessar ... the skirts, or lack of them, will do it every time :wtf:. Time & Space ... you nailed it. Major problem I've rediscovered lately in having to get involved with gridlock city (Sydney) again, is these total fkrs steal the space even if there isn't enough room there in the first place. AIA's aggressive inconsiderate assholes we used to call them.
    If you sidle up to the drivers door after they've rat fcuked your personal space, lift the visor, blip the throttle slightly & in a calm low voice explain the big picture no guesses as to the outcome. I've had bogans attempting to have it out right there & then (they can't get the door open) & women with language so foul it would embarrass a long term Pentridge inmate. One young c**t tried the spitting routine ..... forgot that he'd wound up the window when I became slightly animal & started barking.
    I can understand completely why many are tempted to kick the fkn door skins to billy o, or destroy a few hundred dollars worth of toorak tractor mirror.

Always a pleasure to come back to the land of no traffic lights & single lane back roads. At least S.E.Qld has one good thing to offer :)
  7. I'm pleased you escaped what would have been an impact. It is imperative as a motorcyclist that we have our eyes, and our brains on everything and everyone around us, and this is particularly true for those new to the road. It highlights how a split second of inattention can spell disaster. You don't have to be looking or thinking elsewhere for very long for it to happen.

Another very good habit to develop is looking in the mirror every time you are braking to slow significantly or stop. Just as you saw how easily you were distracted, the moron behind you could fall victim to the same fate. If you make sure the vehicle behind is also slowing with you, you lessen enormously the risk of being rear ended. If they appear not to be slowing and likely to hit you, merge or split between lanes asap.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  8. A lesson learnt with no harm or damage (except maybe to your jocks :wacky:)
    remember it but don't stress over it.
  9. A hint. Look past the car in front of you, watch the traffic out in front of him, and the cars in front of that one too. You'll be able to see any changes in the flow a lot earlier, and plan your actions well in advance. Anticipation is important, and you'll have more/better clues as to what might happen before it happens. A useful roadcraft skill to develop.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  10. HillsyHillsy is spot on about being 'mindful' at all times when on the bike. That's why commuting works so well for me especially after a stressful work day. Head is too busy concentrating on the here and now and by the time I get home I'm smiling whether it was hot, I got rained on or it's dark.

Also, what TWEETTWEET said is gold about watching behind you when you are slowing and sometimes even stopped, depending on the angle of the sun, driver inattention, etc. Especially when frustrated drivers in peak hour expect you to run an amber light because they half expect to you, so they can sneak through the intersection too.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Your lane positioning is quite important and you must always anticipate and be ready to react, either slow down, change your spot or accelerate. I try to avoid riding behind taller vehicles that would obscure visibility ahead of me. Hmmmm let me see, some well known criminals or drivers And cars you must stay away from: camrys (gold and white, the worst), bmws, audis and volvos, ahhhh let me see again... Anything that is below your arse, like nissan skylines, small bubble cars, the. Move onto big boys like Pajeros and pathfinders ( you must stay Away from soccer or school mums), utes, hmmmm in general I have no probs with Holden and ford drivers because I know they cannot see and I am ready for them. If you are ever in doubt a more comprehensive list can be found at carsales.com. There you will find a good list or all the ars*holes :) hope this helps. Some of them will slam on the brakes or wedge uou in just because hou are a bike. Stay safe, anticipate and be ready while enjoy riding and let the ars*holes be a dot in your rear vision mirror.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Ah sorry about the spelling bit, it's an iPhone thing. I forgot one special breed... Da Mercedes driver.
  13. Quoted because this is vital in traffic. Most rear-end accidents are easily prevented by watching through the cars in front to see for tail lights ahead. Most drivers follow the car in front blindly, and it leads to sudden stops. Become a better rider/driver than the average.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thanks for the advice guys. Will definitely take that into consideration. Hopefully this will be the last time I make a mistake like this. Will make a concious effort to keep my eyes on the traffic and keep a safe distance to avoid an accident. Will be practising emergency braking at an empty car park soon to make sure I can brake without locking up the wheels. Problem is, if I get good at emergency braking, the guy behind me will probably rear end me...... Here in SYD, its bumper to bumper in peak hour traffic. You leave a space behind the car in front and another guy will take that opportunity to change lanes into that gap. Then you leave a gap behind him and then it repeats... Man I love riding late at night when there are no cars....
  15. One more; Jeeps.. These are the cars I see indicate lane changes the least.
  16. Sydney traffic is an abortion, I can't wait all week to see how far away I can get.