Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Almost had an off this morning! Now I feel like a goose!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Mud Monkey, May 3, 2006.

1. After riding since October the closest I have come to an off was this morning, and wow did it scare the crap out of me!

I was on my way to work heading west along Queens Road in Five Dock (Parallel to Parramatta Rd for those that know the area). Doing about 55k with about 30 metres clear space ahead of me and about 50 behind when a car pulls out of a side street and turns right crossing my path. The car had stopped and looked straight at me but some how didn’t see me.. Anyways I end up grabbing as much brake as I can, front works fine but the I locked up the rear and the back of the bike started sliding right. I’m still lined up with the drivers side door, figure out that what I am doing isn’t working. So I release both brakes (might have kept some front on – not sure), the rear wheel starts co-operating again and I managed to swerve left around the rear end of the car. I think I ended up missing the rear end by about 15 cm I think.

At this point I have a brain fart and decide that it’s a good idea to do a u turn and go have a “chat” with the car that had pulled out in front of me. I catch him at the next set of lights about 200 metres away and pull up next to his driver’s side door. Now I was never intending to hurt him at all, just let him know really loudly what I thought of him. But when I look in his window, he’s about 70 years old, is leaning away from the door cowering, almost crying and saying sorry repeatedly. It’s then that it kicks in that I am wearing jacket, gloves, helmet etc and might look a lil more scary than I realised. I felt like a right clown, apologised for coming after him, say that he gave me a huge fright and rode off.

Anyways, in the end I’m at work safe and on time. The bike and his car is fine and I think both of us learnt a few lessons. I am pretty sure we have one more Motorbike aware car driver out there now.

SeanD