Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SA Allowed to cross double white lines

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by CrazyCam, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Hi folks.

Saw this:- SA cyclists allowed on footpaths, cars to keep minimum distance under new rules

While I can see the safe distance business, and I can even go with pushbikes on the footpath, (I do have a stout walking stick with a brass head!) I'm not sure about allowing cars to cross double white lines to give enough space to pushbikes.

Either a section of road has a double white line for safety or it doesn't.

I'd be seriously pissed off if I got killed in a head=on with a car and it wouldn't make me feel any better knowing that a pushbike rider's safety had caused the car to be on my side of the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. QLD's had this since the "1m passing rule" was established here, although I couldn't say whether it's increased or decreased drivers' willingness to cross double-lines for a moment to overtake a cyclist.

I have seen some pretty dubious overtakes on Mt Nebo Road legalised by that rule though. You know, an SUV overtaking a cyclist right before a blind crest or blind corner - and a couple of times a car came the other way just seconds later. Good times for all.

Slightly ridiculous thought: If this allows cars to momentarily cross double-whites to overtake slow-moving cyclists, should the same logic allow motorcycles to momentarily cross double-whites to overtake slow-moving cars? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. But apparently, motorcyclists don't need cars to pass them more than 1m away. Why is that?
    And why isn't there a law preventing cyclists staying 1m away from pedestrians?
    Why are there too many laws?

• Like Like x 1
  5. That was put to Vicroads some time back and they came up with an excellent reason why we wouldn't want to pursue this as a road law for motorcycles... it would make filtering illegal. So let's not go there.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Good point. I'm not a fan of the 1m rule for cyclists either - just seems one sided. Would prefer the laws didn't go there at all.

7. I agree it's kinda one-sided in the sense of a cyclist filtering - e.g. a cyclist can voluntarily pass closer than 1m, but the car can't pass them closer than 1m. That said, the 1m gap is pretty bloody small in 'real' terms. One metre is a tiny bit more than the length of a cyclist's arm sticking out to the right - if the cyclist could touch the car, it's less than a metre. In that respect I think it's more useful as a reminder to drivers that there needs to be a small margin of safety, not just 'we're not touching'. But I've talked with car drivers who say that even that arm's length is too much and they ought to be able to pass closer still. :S

8. This would have to be the most stupid proposal I've ever heard. There should never be a reason to cross double lines, period. That's why they're marked that way only in places it is never safe to overtake.

9. Yep, backwards thinking is the latest trend now. Proposals to allow crossing (while overtaking) double lines, formerly seen as highly dangerous and therefore ruled illegal, but (here in Vic), overtaking over a single unbroken line, although not recommended was allowed, yet now apparently it's so dangerous it has been deemed illegal.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

10. Both the 1mtr and the double line law are useless and to all intents and purposes, unenforceable. There are just too many variables, who's to say, for one that you have left 1mtr but the cyclist closed it. Call me cynical but it's almost a perfect law designed by lawyers to create a whole new source of unjustly accused clients. I keenly await the first victim, I reckon the fit will hit the shan.

11.  Top
  12. Whilst on the 1m clearance thing, look out for the wonkers on push bikes who extend their right arm in an apparent right turn hand signal. It appears they are attempting to remind following drivers of the one meter rule.

I very nearly tried to pass one "turning" cyclist on the left hand side, probably not the outcome they desired.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. What is interesting about this proposal, is that it asks drivers to THINK. If the road ahead is clear it's ok to give a bike a 1m clearance, even over double white lines where until now the law has said that it's so utterly dangerous that the world will implode should a wheel pass over the lines.

Asking drivers to think is an interesting road safety shift since vision zero and the safe systems approach is all about less thinking.

The lesson for riders is pretty simple. Look up and well ahead. If you see oncoming bicycles and cars, DO NOT ASSUME the driver has looked past the bicycles. Get ready to take some avoiding action - even pre-emptive action like flashing a head light or a SIAM - because there's every chance a frustrated driver will veer on your side of the road to overtake the cyclists.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. try crossing the swan street bridge when idiot drivers stop and try to merge into the non toll laneway after jumping the queue to get ahead of the cars in the correct lane. It is infuriating and I cross the double to get around these twats all the time

15. I agree but you're looking at this wrong. This is legislation adopting common sense. They're saying, provided you can do it safely you can cross the lines, especially if you're not going to be there long and you don't need the full lane. Perfect.

I've long pointed out that lines, and road rules in general are made for Joe average in a car. The lines aren't close to safe reality when your on a motorbike, and evidently the government says they're not appropriate for passing cyclists either.

I'll continue to pass wherever and whenever I feel safe to do so... Screw the lines.

16. If the police actually enforced the current rule it would mean something. They don't and its chaotic on roads where the cyclists are. (e.g. Mountain Highway Melbourne)

17. Ah my number one pet hate on the daily commute. Number two is the cue jumpers turning right into Swan St off Hoddle.