Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

All pre 80's Children read and reminisce!

Discussion in 'Jokes and Humour' started by robsalvv, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Ripped from an email received today:

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a Ute on a warm day was always a special treat. We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Red Rooster.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy fruit tingles and some crackers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and cubby houses and played in creek beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms.......... WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross buns at Easter time.......no really!

We were given BB guns and sling shots for our 10th birthdays.

We drank milk laced with Strontium 90 from cows that had eaten grass covered in nuclear fallout from the atomic testing at Maralinga in 1956.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

Footy had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

Our teachers used to belt us with big sticks and leather staps and bullies always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

Our parents got married before they had children and didn't invent stupid names for their kids like "Kiora" and "Blade".

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 70 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, mention it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

p.s. Kids of today will never have known a world without a white Michael Jackson... :LOL:
  2. As a representative of the 80's children, I'd like to thank the older generation for introducing large chain fast food outlets, video games, suing people, safetycrats, antibacterial soap, blurred gender seperation, hitchhiking murders, pregnancy paranoia, late night shopping and mobile phones to the world.

Thanks alot.
  3. As a pre 80's child..... T'wasn't me!!

most of the OP i can relate to..to a point. My life got kinda screwed up at about age 10.
  4. Yeah, well I was born in 1980, and most of that stuff applies to my childhood as well. My excuse is that I was conceived in the 70's...
  5. We walked to school, miles away. Now there are bus stops every couple hundred metres so they don't have to walk too far!

We finished school closer to 4 o'clock than 3 o'clock!

And just to rebutt one point made above, my mum had to work to make ends meet. :)
  6. I loved every point of th OP and had a tear in my eye [sniff] :cry:

My kids have always said it was better when I was growing up.

The only illegal drugs that were around was grass (naturally grown) LSD, cocaine and heroin. Sh!t, my dad was addicted to BEX powders :LOL:

You either died or survived!!!!

Ladies were not allowed in a Public bar........ EVER!!!

No one ever seemed to drown in the surf even though we were unsupervised all day.

Ya got your L's by sitting a test and then could go and buy the biggest bike you could find (Honda CB750 4)and kill ya self without ever having to get a liscence....ever!

There was no such thing as driving under the influence.

The local seargent would literally give you a kick up the ar@#se and you respected the police for that!

Ya NEVER gave cheek to Tim Bristow!!!!

You would have egg fights in the middle of the main street at 7.00pm and there would be no one around.

You surfed without being attached to your board and had to swim for it if you fell off

You made your own skateboards out of someone's sister's rollerskates and a plank of wood

You made and repaired your own surfboards.

You rode your pushbike to the pub 3 years underage and the managers knew you were there and as long as you behved, all was cool!

Everyone knew where the party was and there was no such thing as being invited.

A calculator was the first computer ever seen.

You waged sport to go surfing and the teachers knew and just went home.

That's enough.....................the tears are starting to short out my keyboard [sniff]

7. That calls for this...
    First appearing on At Last the 1948 Show (John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Marty Feldman & Tim Brooke-Taylor) and revived by the Monty Python Crew... :LOL: :p

8. thank you for reconfirming my "oldness". :LOL:
  9. 'aye those were the days.....................

you youngsters just don't know how lucky youse are :LOL: :LOL:
  10. :)

Pretty sure, I never ate worms though :wink:
  11. Nice post Rob, got me all emotional :LOL: Seriously though, it certainly brought back some childhood memories. I really don't feel like I've been on this planet all that long but man, being a kid now is so different to when I grew up in the 70s and early 80s. I sound like an old fart, hey, but you see, when I was a boy....
  12. er, not quite, Jeff. Australia's worst day at the beach was on Feb 6 1938 when 6 people died at Bondi and hundreds were rescued. And that beach WAS supervised, otherwise the toll would undoubtedly have been much higher.

But I know what you mean :wink:.
  13. Sad thing is I was bourn in the late eighties but because I was in a country town I remember all those things and I feel sorry for the other kids in my generation that missed out on all of it.
    It is just getting worse though.
    For example now with the new laws in QLD you have to have your Car licence for more then a year before you can even go for your bike P’s or some thing like that :(
    I got my bike P’s 8 months before I bothered going for my car P’s.
  14. It's bought back alot of childhood memories or maybe thats chidhood nightmares AAAHHH!
  15. :) can relate rather well to most of that:

I'm still outside 'playing'

Yes, I did get the strap ....

Altho' I didn't eat worms - just put them in my pockets!

& Triway - my Mum was out working too - think that one belonged back in the pre 1950's

thanks Rob
  16. Thanks for posting that Rob, it certainly does bring out the sharp contrast between most of our childhood's and those of today.

I think that there is an ability to still have a fairly blissful childhood, but it takes a lot of work from the parents. The 'wrap them in cotton wool' crap that we see so much of today has a great deal to answer for. There is an alarming lack of personal responsibility these days, how many times have you heard someone who feels they've been wronged complain that 'the government should do something' and then turn around and whine when the government then does something to hinder their freedom?

The truth is that there was more violent crime, drink driving, terrorist attacks, abuse of children and almost any other social ill you care to name when we were growing up than there is today, but for some reason society spends all its time living in fear and venerating a past that never really existed. We all want our kids to be safe, but I will guarantee that in 20 years time it will be the risk takers and those who were taught to look beyond the conventional wisdom who are successful and happy.

So here's my advice.
    1. Buy a smaller house - true friends will never worry about sleeping on the couch and you won't be tempted to fill it with crap you don't need.
    2. Eat good quality food - find a really good butcher and fruit & veggie shop, avoid the supermarket.
    3. Never buy a new car with your own money - let someone else take the depreciation hit on your dream car. Honestly, you won't keep it in showroom condition anyway.
    4. Tell everyone in your house that you love them every day.
    5. Trust everyone in your house, regardless of their age. Without trust you have nothing.
    6. Remember that possessions, no matter how dear, are 'just stuff' and can always be replaced. Don't be reckless with them, but don't let them interfere with your relationships.
    7. Wear jumpers inside in winter - lower your heating bill and keep your mind sharper.
    8. Listen to more music and less talkback - focus on beauty rather than hate.
    9. Give something back. Join a Service Club, do Clean up Australia Day, door knock for a charity. Make your contribution more than a few spare dollars, make it some of your time; you'll find that your rewards are greater than what you put in and your community is a better place.
    10. Be skeptical of politicians, salespeople and religious leaders who ask for money or who tell you to distrust or hate someone else.
    11. Don't be afraid to have faith in something bigger than you - faith is a beautiful gift.
    12. Don't look for perfection in your life or in your family, work instead for happiness no matter how ramshackle it may be.
    13. Be the person you want others to be, build the community that you want to live in, if you hear yourself say 'someone should do something about that' be that someone.
    14. Don't let work rule your life, no-one at your funeral will care what your last performance report was like.
    15. Remember your manners, it is a sign of respect and you will quickly find that respect repaid.
  17. over half apply to me and i'm 26... :roll:
  18. Kill one, and you're a murderer. Kill many, and you're conquerer. Kill them all...and you're a God. cool megadeth song lord nykon!

Thanks for that rob, i remember when you got in trouble at school and the teachers would give you the strap, when you got home and told your parent's they would have a go as well. We used to wag class in the summer and the whole class would go swimming down in the maribynong river and the teacher would come down there and find us all in the water and march us back to school. soaking wet! And potatoe cakes cost twenty cents. And day light saving meant that you could play outside the front of your house with your friends for a longertime!