Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured All indicators flashing

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Salad Cycle, May 15, 2015.

1. #1 Salad Cycle, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
    I changed to LED indicators and LED flasher relay.

In either the right or left indicator toggle position all of the indicators flash (right and left).

What is wrong and how do I fix it?

Edit: I have read that it is caused by the dash indicator overfeeding or some such so I'll try and disconnect the dash indicator cable. The dash indicator light does not work.

Edit: with the dash disconnected the right and left indicators flash normally. There are eleven cables to the dash so I need to find out which ones to disconnect and which ones to keep.

cbr125r btw.
  2. Fixed. I pulled the indicator bulb on the dash out. This disconnected the light blue and orange cable so the indicators can flash correctly. Now I can start riding again!
  3. The telltale is useful through, all of us forget to cancel our indicators from time to time and end up riding along like a nimby. Unfortunately the way Honda have designed the telltale circuit on this bike makes it challenging to get working with LED indicators. They wire the globe across from left to right on the assumption that whichever side flashes the other side will be ground through the indicator globes. With the lower current if the LED indicators this is no longer the case.

It depends on how far you want to go to resolve this. Technically it would not be roadworthy without that telltale light but it would be extremely unlikely you would be done for it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. It is easy to fix by adding a diode in between the indicators and the signal lamp so that it cuts the return path.
    Just a simple regulator diode will do it, with a bit of heat shrink over it to ensure that its well insulated from shorts.
  5. Not quite that simple in this bike. There is no return path except through the opposite side blinker circuit. You could isolate using diodes but would need to modify the instrument cluster to provide a negative return.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ok, so cut both wires near the plug.
    Use the diodes to bridge the two back to one of the leads on the plug.
    Wire the other to the closest ground point. Simplez.
    • Like Like x 1