Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

All hail our government overlords! They are watching your internetz...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by QuarterWit, Jul 23, 2010.

1. http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...mature-unnecessary-debate-20100722-10mxo.html

Good lord!

Scary, scary stuff!

2. Good grief, and we wonder why people are so quick to develop conspiracy theories.

If that's not conspiring what is?
  3. Viva wikileaks. It's a hugely important service, it must be protected and replicated.
  4. we are still a nation of so called Democracy right 8-[

geez the way we are going we will make china's laws seem tame
  5. if it does go through and it all happens, i'd stop using the internet. literally.
  6. Whilst the censorship of the document is worrying, I wouldn't be too quick to assume it's entirely for sinister reasons.

Back when I was a public servant, an early draft of a policy we were developing got out into general circulation. It was already out of date before it escaped and looked almost nothing like the policy that was ended up with. Nonetheless, it set a lot of people's hair on fire and a huge amount of PS time ended up being spent on dealing with the fuss, rather than being spent more productively playing minesweeper and downloading hardcore p0rn. Sorry, I mean improving the policy.

So, yes, it's a pain in the arse when something that will never be implemented in that form gets out.

The above does not mean that I am happy either with the internet filter or the apparent manner of its attempted implementation. Just pointing out that there are possible reasons other than a conspiracy for this particular action.